EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened a month ago but just getting around to making a post. My wife drove our 2013 Enclave with just under 100k miles home from work with no issues. Went to leave about 30 minutes later and it was hard to start, then misfiring badly and the the CEL came on. She called me and I told her I'd check it when I got home and figured it was just a coil went bad as I had replaced one of those a couple years prior when it acted similar. I was just happy it happened literally in my driveway at least.

Get home and hooked up my scan tool expecting to find P030X where X was the cylinder misfiring but instead got P228c and P0089. Hmmm...
P228c =Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Exceeded Control Limits – Pressure Too Low
P0089 =a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for a fault found with the fuel pressure regulator.

Well crap, that sounds more serious. Next I obviously googled those codes and pretty much every GM post with them was an issue with the high pressure fuel pump that's attached to the side of the engine. On direct injected motors like ours there is a pump in the fuel tank that pressurizes the fuel to around 60 PSI, then a pump on the side of the engine that bumps the pressure to 600-1000 PSI for the injectors. I found two real time logs for fuel pressure in my OBD Fusion app (really nice code reading app for iOS), "Fuel Rail Pressure" and "Fuel Rail Pressure (gauge)". Figuring one was probably the pressure from the tank and one was the pressure after the high pressure pump I set it up to log both and cranked the car. Both were reading around 60 PSI. So I had either confirmed my issue or I was logging the wrong data. Called my buddy who has a 2015 Acadia and ran over to his house to do a quick log of his car since it's the same platform/motor/ECM/fuel system etc. On his the Fuel Rail Pressure was reading 700-800 at idle and Fuel Rail Pressure (gauge) was reading 60 PSI. So confirmed, my high pressure pump was not high pressure pumping.

Only place local that had it wanted $400 vs $189 for the same Delphi part at Rock Auto so decided the wife and I could carpool for a couple days while I waited for the Rock Auto part. Proceeded with tearing it down to get it ready for the new part to arrive.

I'm not going to go in depth on the removal/replacement because it's easier to just watch this great how to video I found. However, I was not able to get the bottom bolt out on mine without removing the coolant tube:

I did pull the main fuel system fuse and kept cranking the car until it wouldn't even try to start to remove as much pressure from the fuel system as possible. On disconnecting the lines a little came out but nothing major. Since the coolant tube came off I swapped the thermostat and gasket while I was in there as well. The roller that fires the pump looked brand new with zero wear so I didn't bother replacing it. Oil changes with full synthetic every 5k probably helped with that.

Parts ordered late Tues night, delivered Friday morning, so 3 days of carpooling to save over $200.... not bad, especially since the wife basically drives right past my office on the way to her office. Overall the job wasn't too bad. Would have been a 45 minute job if it weren't for 2 really difficult to access bolts. Once it was all back together I tested for leaks and then proceeded to start the car with the heater cranked front/back and continued topping the radiator off until it finished burping out the air in the system. A week later I added just a little bit to the overflow tank when it was cold to bring it to the full mark, likely more air burping out. Codes were cleared and it has ran perfectly since.

· Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Between the alternator this summer and this fuel pump in November I'm starting to think it may be time to send the Enclave on down the road to a trade in.

On the flip side the car has been paid off for a loooong time now and owes me nothing. The total of what I spent on the fuel pump isn't even a single month's car payment for anything I'd replace it with either. Plus my wife loves it and it does everything I need it to do towing wise with the boat. I've got a few months of payments left on my Audi and then we'll be car payment free so I'd like to ride that for a while and just stash the cash for my daughter's first car (turning 16 in March). Sliding an Audi Q7 into the garage next to my S5 would be pretty nice too though. The Hyundai/Kia twins the Palisade/Telluride in the higher trim levels look good too and have been winning pretty much every 3 row SUV comparison. I typically buy CPO 2 years old under 30k miles and those are starting to show up now. Prices should be crashing hard in the next 6 months or so.

· Registered
7,125 Posts
Also recently had
P0087
P0089
P02A9.
Also rock auto pump.
I removed fuse for fuel system but vehicle ran. I gave up on that and turned the nut on the stainless steel pipes with a heavy rag over it for any fuel spray.
I was able to remove pump without undoing thermostat.
I did turn the engine a little at the crankshaft bolt to release tension on the pump spring/cam lobe.
Easy job overall.
I also replaced the 2 ss lines.
Rock auto total was $368 for pump and 2 ss lines. Acdelco parts.
Issue occured at 183,000.
Im now at 187,500 and running fine.
A good thing about this was i spotted a micro crack coolant leak on the hoses to the heater cores. The hard plastic connector had a drop of coolant on it.
I ordered those and replaced them.

· Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up on this. After replacing the pump the Enclave has been running great but would get occasional long cranks after sitting for a while but no codes. No leaks anywhere so figured it must be something internal to the pump leaking down the pressure but only if it stops in certain positions (likely with the cam follower engaged against the pump). Did a warranty replacement and swapped in another new Delphi pump on Saturday. Did manage to remove the lower bolt without disconnecting the coolant pipe this time so the job only took about 40 minutes. I've been driving it more and letting the wife take my car just keep a close eye on it, including a longer trip down to ski country Monday. Has started perfectly every time since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts