EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my 2012 enclave compressor is running loud and a long time once the car is turned off. I have not noticed this before. I expect it would run for a little while when hotter out which it's warm but not hot. Is this a potential indicator of a problem or is it likely the compressor/fan always ran and I just did not notice it? It's really loud and goes on for a while so I am not sure how I never noticed this before.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I assume you’re talking about the radiator fans? The only compressor is for the AC and is belt driven off the engine. It’s not possible for the AC compressor to continue running after the engine is shut off.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
662 Posts
The owners manual states: How to Add Coolant to the Radiator { WARNING An electric engine cooling fan under the hood can start up even when the engine is not running and can cause injury. Keep hands, clothing, and tools away from any underhood electric fan.
It should also say that the Fan may continue to run after the engine shuts down but it only states that it may start.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Edited my earlier post to be clear I was saying the AC compressor can't run after you shut the vehicle off. The radiator fans definitely can if the car was running hot and I've seen mine do it. It's pretty loud because you're not used to hearing the fans running full speed while standing outside the car, especially with the engine off and no other vehicle sounds competing with them.

However, I doubt it's been hot enough for the fans to be doing that often this time of year. I've only seen it on really hot days when I was stuck in slow traffic and then shut off the car.

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
662 Posts
The OP may want to check their Coolant Level to make sure all is well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume you’re talking about the radiator fans? The only compressor is for the AC and is belt driven off the engine. It’s not possible for it to continue running after the engine is shut off.
Thanks - You are absolutely right, its the radiator fan. Since I never noticed it before and now its really loud and goes on for a long time after the car is off, do you think that might be an indicator that something is wrong?

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Yeah, if it's running a lot after the car is off something is probably wrong, unless it's 100+ degrees and you were driving so slow right before you shut it off that the radiator wasn't getting much airflow.

Like electbc said, start with checking your coolant level in the overflow tank. I'd also remove the plastic cover over the radiator so you can remove the radiator cap and see if it's filled right to the top. ONLY do this when the engine is cold as trying to remove the cap when it's hot can lead to being sprayed with scalding hot coolant.

What's the temp gauge in the car showing right before you shut it off in cases where the fan stays running?

I'm thinking one of two things is happening.
1. The car is running hot and the fans are operating as intended. This is still a problem. In this case you need to follow overheating troubleshooting.
2. The car isn't running hot but for some reason the ECU thinks it is. In this case you need to troubleshoot the cooling system sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed my 2012 enclave compressor is running loud and a long time once the car is turned off. I have not noticed this before. I expect it would run for a little while when hotter out which it's warm but not hot. Is this a potential indicator of a problem or is it likely the compressor/fan always ran and I just did not notice it? It's really loud and goes on for a while so I am not sure how I never noticed this before.
Radiator cap. Mine was doin the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts