EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
rockyp said:
I just think it's comical that GM (maybe some corruption?) is being investigated by Congress (certainly lots of corruption!).
congress is investigating because there was a report that NHTSB knew about the problem and didn't force a recall. Basically republicans want to see if the Obama administration put pressure on NHTSB to ignore the problem. Just the usual Washington, D.C. BS. Like Robin Williams once said Congress investigating ethics is like a bunch of lepars judging a beauty contest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
gostate said:
You still don't get it. The engineers identified the problem in 2001 and came up with a solution and GM still ignored public safety and didn't fix the problem. It wouldn't surprise me if this takes the current CEO Mary Barra out. She was working in a position that would have knowledge of this problem at that time.
It's all about Risk Management and Risk Mitigation. Some team in the executive branch of GM conducted a risk analysis of this issue and unfortunately concluded that not fixing the defect was the best course of action. Ford Motors did the same thing with the Pinto a few decades ago. They knew about the safety issues associated with the fuel tank, but decided to assume the risk, resulting in catastrophic loss. At the end of the day, risk reduction and risk mitigation costs the company money. In this case, people lost their lives; and, until governments start throwing these "business leaders" in prison, they'll just keep on using the same method.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,480 Posts
I think it wouldnt happen to me--

I have car key, house key, Fob on my keychains.

Ive never had huge keychains-- because I know that it cant be good for lock cylinders.

I had a Saturn-and I believe it used the same lock cylinder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
rbarrios said:
I think it wouldnt happen to me--

I have car key, house key, Fob on my keychains.

Ive never had huge keychains-- because I know that it cant be good for lock cylinders.

I had a Saturn-and I believe it used the same lock cylinder.
RB,
It's time to take the blinders off. Are you saying you are checking the keychain of the person your wife goes to lunch with? If your kids were of driving age are you checking their friends keychains? Are you also checking the keychains of the other people on the road, because if they have this problem they are going to lose their power brakes and power steering and may not be able to avoid slamming into you. It all goes back to the safety of all and not just the individual. I understand you want to defend GM at every cost, but you can't turn a blind eye to safety just because you love GM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
:popcorn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,480 Posts
Guess im being hard headed. :banghead:

from past experience..

(having replaced lock cylinders on friends older chevies- (70s).... yes huge keychains---)

more recently on models Ive owned.

the Trailblazer/Envoy forums.

We noticed a trend...
weird electrical issues- gauge sweeps, unable to start, Engine run on, engine shutting down, Codes being set etc etc etc. weird weird stuff.

the fix-- new ignition switches.
the recommendation---use a sensible keychain.


The good thing is-- Im not seeing ignition switch issues on the Lambdas/Thetas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Seems to me that since GM knew of the problem all that had to be done to avoid a lawsuit would have been to put a footnote on the page in the manual that talks about the ignition switch....telling people not to have too much weight on their keyrings. :-\ Kind of like the warning McDonalds had to put on coffee cups that says "contents are HOT". :facepalm:

I kind of wonder if there is more to the story....just like with Toyota and them blaming floor mats caused the sudden acceleration in some vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
kidsenclave said:
Seems to me that since GM knew of the problem all that had to be done to avoid a lawsuit would have been to put a footnote on the page in the manual that talks about the ignition switch....telling people not to have too much weight on their keyrings. :-\ Kind of like the warning McDonalds had to put on coffee cups that says "contents are HOT". :facepalm:

I kind of wonder if there is more to the story....just like with Toyota and them blaming floor mats caused the sudden acceleration in some vehicles.
I'm guessing that 90% of people don't read the owners manual. I looked at my neighbor's cobalt last night and that ignition switch is place in the steering column low enough that I can easily see my knee pushing against it at times. Also, in the information given to the Government about the recall GM is recommending that people even take the key fob off the key ring. I believe that's because the key fob hangs down. RB state's he doesn't have anything on his key ring, but I'm betting the key fob is attached. I agree with you kids about there being more to the story though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
rbarrios said:
I have 3 things on my keychain.
car key, house key, Fob.
according the GM release if any of you vehicles were in the recall you should not have any of those attached to the key ring.
http://www.freep.com/assets/freep/pdf/C4219712312.PDF
This seems a little more involved than some excess weight on the key ring. The memo states jarring. I guess people with these vehicles shouldn't drive on the roads in Michigan with all the potholes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,480 Posts
yeah-- the jarring ..
Im my head- I can see vibrations causing movement...

Like you see on some nuts/bolts.

the vibration causes it to begin to turn and come loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Next is enclave power steering failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
Paul2010 said:
Next is enclave power steering failure.
Transmission too. Rear broken springs, sunroof leaks-water getting in my eyes, causing me not to see and crashing into something.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
Certain member(s) have made this a political topic, so it is being moved to politics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
MRBUICK said:
Certain member(s) have made this a political topic, so it is being moved to politics.
How is this political and vicious? Typical MRBUICK doesn't like what he hears so he tries to stop it. MRBUICK isn't a moderator he's an biased GM lover. A moderator is supposed to be unbiased but we all know that's not true.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
gostate said:
How is this political and vicious? Typical MRBUICK doesn't like what he hears so he tries to stop it. MRBUICK isn't a moderator he's an biased GM lover. A moderator is supposed to be unbiased but we all know that's not true.
There were requests by forum members that this be moved to the "Politics" board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
gostate said:
How is this political and vicious? Typical MRBUICK doesn't like what he hears so he tries to stop it. MRBUICK isn't a moderator he's an biased GM lover. A moderator is supposed to be unbiased but we all know that's not true.
Your reply to this kind of makes it apparent that this is where it should be. MRBUICK may be a GM fan but he is not biased. I have been on this board a lot longer to know that much about him. Oh and he and I don't agree 100% on everything discussed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
gostate, there were multiple complaints about this thread, therefore it was moved.
This is one of your offending posts:
"congress is investigating because there was a report that NHTSB knew about the problem and didn't force a recall. Basically republicans want to see if the Obama administration put pressure on NHTSB to ignore the problem. Just the usual Washington, D.C. BS. Like Robin Williams once said Congress investigating ethics is like a bunch of lepars judging a beauty contest."
This is one of the reasons it is now in "political"

If I was truly biased, I would have removed it entirely. There are varied opinions about vehicles and their country of origin, and you and I are at opposite ends. We will never agree, but please try to be a little more level headed so we can avoid the complaints about your posts. If the complaints and concerns continue, it will be removed entirely.
We try to keep a clean forum here, let's keep it that way.
(By the way, I have absolutely NO financial interest in this forum, I am only here because Stacey, the founder of this forum, made a personal request that I be a moderator. This was supported by the general membership)

Thank you,
MRBUICK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
I had an '04 Saturn Ion turn off due to easy torque on the ignition when I was dating my now wife and we were driving down the interstate. I'm 6'-0" and my knee bumps against the dashboard. I moved my leg and pushed a key up on the keyring with just a few keys that rotated the key in the ignition to off. I coasted to the shoulder, realized what happened and started up again. The little pressure I put on that second key should not have rotated the ignition cylinder.

It's happened a few times since.

My 2 cents

PS. Just bought a 2010 Enclave today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
rdmiller said:
I had an '04 Saturn Ion turn off due to easy torque on the ignition when I was dating my now wife and we were driving down the interstate. I'm 6'-0" and my knee bumps against the dashboard. I moved my leg and pushed a key up on the keyring with just a few keys that rotated the key in the ignition to off. I coasted to the shoulder, realized what happened and started up again. The little pressure I put on that second key should not have rotated the ignition cylinder.

It's happened a few times since.

My 2 cents

PS. Just bought a 2010 Enclave today.
Welcome to the forum rdmiller. Despite the bickering streamed below, there is some very useful information posted on this forum (specific to your model year). Good luck with your new E!
 
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Top