EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Considering switching from long-time Toyota owner to a Buick owner.

• Who LOVES their Enclave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any problems with the vehicle?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove the Enclave CXL -- love it! I'm nervous about buying a Buick though -- help me make my decision to buy the Enclave over the Highlander. Who recently purchased the Enclave after being a foreign car owner? ???

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Welcome,
Spend a little time on this forum. You will quickly find that the Enclave is a GREAT car,
whose owners are completely satisfied. I have owned mine for 3 months, and can only say good things about it.
Good luck with your decision. :thumb:

(I never owned a foreign car, so I will not participate in your poll)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
kimmedyke said:
I test drove the Enclave CXL -- love it! I'm nervous about buying a Buick though -- help me make my decision to buy the Enclave over the Highlander. Who recently purchased the Enclave after being a foreign car owner? ???
I have had my Enclave for a week today. My last "American made car" was a 1973 AMC Gremlin. I have owned two VWs, 3 Mazdas (still have an RX8), a Mitsubitchi, and 2 Hondas. I looked at the Highlander when I purchased my 2006 Pilot. I traded the Pilot in on the Enclave and have not looked back. I love it and I would dare to say it is in a class that is far and beyond the Highlander. Reliability, too early to say of course, but its sister cars have been out for 2 years. It has a great warranty. I don't think the Highlander can compare myself, I know my rattle trap Pilot couldn't. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
...and don't forget, Buick was in first place(tied with Lexus) in the JD Power long term reliability ratings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May I also say we have three children and the extra space the Enclave has is what drew me in. The extra cargo space behind the 3rd seat is bigger than the Highlander. I just worry about the resell value in 5-7 years.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Resale, the BIG unknown ???. Apparently, many of the former foreign car owners have put that fear aside because the Enclave has so many advantages. I wish I could offer a "promise" of resale value. GM and Buick have had so much positive press lately, I would hope for a decent resale. However, that was NOT a factor for me, being that I usually keep a car for 10 years.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
MRBUICK said:
...and don't forget, Buick was in first place(tied with Lexus) in the JD Power long term reliability ratings.
Yes this is correct, I forgot about that. I agree with the resale questions also. I did get a great trade value on my Honda based on its reliablity reputation even though I thought mine was far less than reliable (6 trips to the shop in 8 months) which is why I don't have it now. Just as a company can live on its reputation, it will take GM and Buick a while of building great cars to gain the faith of previous foreign buyers like me. Let me say AGAIN:

LOVE MY ENCLAVE, my kids love the captains chairs in the back as well as the leg room, but a bench seat is available as well. If you are going to haul kids around, why not do it in style!!!!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
PS. Mr Buick keeps his cars so long, he can't fit them all in his garage ;D ;D ;D :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox said:
PS. Mr Buick keeps his cars so long, he can't fit them all in his garage ;D ;D ;D :cheers:
VERY FUNNY ::).....I have to fight to keep my wife from turning the garage into a walk in closet :banghead: :banghead: :help:

·
Registered
509 Posts
One thing that bodes well for resale, as it has on many recent GM vehicles, is the stickers are now not as inflated as before, and discounts when new are smaller. Couple that with tighter production, and resales have stayed quite high on many.

As for the Enclave, it's arguably one of--if not THE--hottest GM product right now, and I still don't see an end in sight for quite some time, so the strong demand and little discounting should continue, keeping resales up.

And as for quality, that shouldn't even be a question, as was mentioned, GM--and Buick in particular--continue to rank as some of the highest brands every year for quality, even above "thought" high-quality cars like Toyota and Honda. The whole quality difference across the industry anymore is really slim, and GM has actually been doing better lately both in these surveys and real world impressions than many others.

So, I say go for it, and get an Enclave ASAP. The Highlander is okay if you want a smaller vehicle, that's not as capable, user friendly, or anywhere near as well designed inside and out as the Enclave--or any GM Lambda for that matter, also including the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. Actually on that note, don't forget to also look at the GMC and Saturn, because while the Buick is generally considered to be the "best", you may prefer the looks or features/price more on one of the other two.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox said:
In fact , I still have my first new car, a 1927 Buick. ;D

·
Registered
180 Posts
What's up. Yeah, I've been a 6 year owner of a Hyundai Santa Fe when they were first released in 2001. I was quite please with this vehicle coming out of college, and it was good to me, but I do have to say that the Enclave is everything I hoped and more. I fully realize that the two vehicles I'm comparing aren't even in the same class, but I simply wanted to state the I made the switch (actually my first American car) to GM from a foreign car (the Hyundai) and I have no regrets whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, I drove my Hyundai (which I'm trying to sell consequently) after having driven my Enclave for a while, and all I can say is wow! :eek: The difference in the quality of drive is hugely apparent, with my Santa Fe being a lot more noisy, not as smooth to steer, a bit rougher in the ride, and noticed the brake was a lot softer than the Enclave.

I have driven a Highlander when renting a couple of times, and I found it comparable to my Santa Fe. So, IMO, the Enclave has everything going for it above and beyond the Highlander other than the name "Toyota" which some equate to quality, and some don't. To me though, there's no comparision, the Enclave wins hands down. Hope this helps, and good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
MRBUICK said:
In fact , I still have my first new car, a 1927 Buick. ;D
By my calculation that yould make you about 100 yrs old ;D ;D :beer:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox said:
By my calculation that yould make you about 100 yrs old ;D ;D :beer:
Haven't you heard that us Buick drivers are old. :confused:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, its not a Toyota, but we went from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which we loved and had very few problems with, to the Enclave. I kinda think the Grand Cherokee and the Highlander are similar in appearance, with the Highlander usually being more reliable (again, we had few problems with the Jeep). It was a HUGE step for us to go to a Buick, but every day my husband and I verbalize to each other what a great decision we made. This car is for people with kids. We have driven it for 1,000 miles and have loved every minute of it. I researched till the cows came home on this purchase, and reliability was in the forefront of our mind. In my research, Buicks are generally VERY reliable, just not POPULAR (with the exception of the Enclave), hence the misconception. Add to that the amazing warranty, and it put our minds at ease as far as the reliability issue goes.

Good luck with your decision

Lisa

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Haven't you heard that us Buick drivers are old. :confused:
I'm laughing because I have an AWD that I just picked last Wednesday ( :woot:) and this weekend we are driving to Southern NJ to a vacation spot on the coast from Upstate NY. I have 230 miles on it and I will be on the throughway. As you may recall that means 55 MPH until 500 miles to break in the AWD! I was thinking I should put on a gray wig and housecoat to try and prevent as many NJ salutes as possible as I drive 55 mph down the gardenstate!!!! Of course in NJ they may still give the one fingered salute to Grandma (their own grandma at that) ;D Going to be a long drive, but at least we will be comfortable.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
bsox said:
I'm laughing because I have an AWD that I just picked last Wednesday ( :woot:) and this weekend we are driving to Southern NJ to a vacation spot on the coast from Upstate NY. I have 230 miles on it and I will be on the throughway. As you may recall that means 55 MPH until 500 miles to break in the AWD! I was thinking I should put on a gray wig and housecoat to try and prevent as many NJ salutes as possible as I drive 55 mph down the gardenstate!!!! Of course in NJ they may still give the one fingered salute to Grandma (their own grandma at that) ;D Going to be a long drive, but at least we will be comfortable.
Yeah, 200 posts, wait this makes 201 :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox said:
Stop by, I'll lend you a housecoat, and how about a spandex suit too. ;D
You know I am kidding.
But seriously, the Garden State Parkway is a nice road (for NJ). Enjoy your shore trip. We go to Long Beach Island and to Cape May.

(Keep replying to your own posts and you will be at 250 before you know it.) ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think I have had my Enclave longer than anyone else on this board -- 5 months (and 7,000+ miles). I LOVE it.

This is my first GM vehicle. I have owned Honda (2x), Toyota (2x), Ford, and Chrysler. So far I am quite pleased. If I had to make the decision again today, I would go with the Enlcave once more.

I cart around 2 kids. There is plenty of room. It's so enjoyable to drive. It is classy & EXTREMELY quiet.

I don't feel I got any worse a trade in on my American-made vehicles than I did my foreign ones. I think especially when you go to the higher end of a line, it tends to hold its value because it remains desireable. But that's just my opinion, not a scientific fact.

I have had no problems with it (other than the transmission reprogramming -- which has been talked about here and should not affect anyone purchasing at this point). We've taken two road trips and run lots of errands; it's doing great.

Good luck with your decision!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts