EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I changed my coolant at 5 years old. The manual seems to indicate that it gets changed every 5 years (by way of a footnote in the manual). My question is - on other cars, after you change the factory fill, they recommended changing more frequently (every 30k). Should I do this on the Enclave or every 5? Also I was thinking of just doing a drain and fill myself. is there a drain plug on the radiator or would I just pop a hose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I would just do every 5 yrs.
You dont mention year of your vehicle. But on the 1st gens- I dont think there is a drain ****.
When I did mine, I went the extra mile. Since I was draining coolant, I also went ahead and removed the upper and lower hose and replaced the thermostat.
I recommend a tool for loosening the spring clamp.

on a side note, just 2 weeks ago, we finally convinced brother in law to drain his coolant- on his 2010 Silverado. We simply loosened the lower hose. and refilled.

heres the link to the thread on HOW TO thermostat. It has pictures of the tool for loosening the clamp easily.

·
Registered
2015 Buick Enclave
13 Posts
I have a 2015 and did mine last year. There is no drain plug, I removed the lower radiator hose from the bottom of the radiator - there isn't much room and the spring clamp is hard to work with. If you fully open the spring clamp then it locks open, which is nice for removal, but it was impossible for me to position it properly to close it in the tiny space available. I ended up grinding off the locking tab when removed and using locking spring clamp cable pliers to work with it. Only about 4 -5 liters come out with each flush , so you'll want to do a few times with some drives in between to get most of it refreshed.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
this is well worth the $38....

Hose clamp pliers- Craftsman #49804- $37.83

fits in tight spaces.. releases the clamps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's a pretty clever tool. Where are you getting Craftsman tools like that these days? Sears was big on Craftsman, but since they aren't anymore, I haven't found a place with the variety of Craftsman tools like Sears had in most all their stores.

Also, I get a different product from Sears using 49804 (a 3-jaw gear puller). This looks like a 49803. Is that what you have?

·
Super Moderator
272 Posts
Lowes and Ace Hardware are selling certain Craftsman tools, but I doubt they have the hose clamp tool.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My only issue with DYI coolant replacement is disposing of the old antifreeze. Most shops where I live will take used motor oil but not antifreeze. Dumping used antifreeze down the storm sewer which leads to a river is not a good idea and the sanitary sewer system cannot process the used antifreeze. So....having a repair shop (which is required to recycle the old antifreeze) my only option.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
your area/county/city does not hold Household Hazardous waste roundups?
batteries, old pain, used oil, medications, pesticides, etc?

(just checked, Los Angeles will resume the roundups on March 13. I have used coolant that I drained from our Equinox on FEB 15, 2020.. 1 yr ago. I also have meds, batteries, oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts