EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Costco person pumping around $100 gas every month. But when I use other gas occasionally there is a rise mpg, not significant enough to spend those extra 20-30 cents. Because from costco it is like 1 gallon free for every 10 gallons with the savings and the additional 3 % saving is extra.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Costco high quality official Top Tier gasoline. Assuming that the ethanol percentage and octane rating are the same, the fuel economy should be equal to other high quality gasolines.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
having tracked mpg over all my cars since age 16, I would respectfully say there is absolutely no relationship between Costco gas and any others, as far as mpgs are concerned.

There is an indirect correlation between avg mph and mpg. Maybe the way you access costco, you have to pull out of the station and it takes longer. Maybe you reset your mpg counter while you were in line. etc.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Ive always tracked my MPGs... my log book.

When my daily driver was my 2003 Trailblazer--
I ended up using several tanks of Costco gas--- and I noticed that Costco gas....gave me less miles per tank.

Just my observation.....

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rbarrios too...hmmm. There could be something real to this observation after all. But, what would cause Costco's Top Tier gasoline to yield poorer fuel economy than other high quality gasoline brands? ???

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
well, I last used it about 7 yrs ago.......

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I'm going to call Non sequitur: I used Costco gas, my mileage went down.

Sorta like, I changed my oil with Pennzoil Platinum, the motor got smoother. When I went back to Mobil 1, it ran terribly.

This is why we have clinical trials with drugs.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
In my case.
I keep a log of EVERY fill up of my daily drivers. most recent ....Trailblazer/Traverse.

In the case of the Trailblazer.
The daily route driven morning and evening-- did not change.
Same routine.
Fill up, reset parameters.
When my low fuel light came on... TRIP A meter always showed 325 +/- a couple of miles.... (I dont recall the exact number... but there was a difference in Summer and winter blend too). But the fuel gauge and miles driven were practically a given. I could drive and never run out of fuel based on MPGs.... if my needle ever failed me...

When I used Costco fuel, the TRIP A meter was always short of the number I was accustomed to seeing. Something like 295 miles where I would have normally seen 325....
A number that obviously caught my attention.
It always happened when I ran Costco fuel.

Back then Costco was not Tier 1.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
rbarrios said:
In my case.
I keep a log of EVERY fill up of my daily drivers. most recent ....Trailblazer/Traverse.

In the case of the Trailblazer.
The daily route driven morning and evening-- did not change.
Same routine.
Fill up, reset parameters.
When my low fuel light came on... TRIP A meter always showed 325 +/- a couple of miles.... (I dont recall the exact number... but there was a difference in Summer and winter blend too). But the fuel gauge and miles driven were practically a given. I could drive and never run out of fuel based on MPGs.... if my needle ever failed me...

When I used Costco fuel, the TRIP A meter was always short of the number I was accustomed to seeing. Something like 295 miles where I would have normally seen 325....
A number that obviously caught my attention.
It always happened when I ran Costco fuel.

Back then Costco was not Tier 1.
I'm going to look at it like a drug going through clinical trials. It cannot be the exact same procedure, because in case A) you are at Costco fueling up B) you are at somewhere else fueling up

I have done Costco in Toronto, California, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc. All I can say is in every state, it is crowded. In NJ, there is a very long wait. It takes longer to get into a Costco, and get out of a Costco. You reset from a Costco, and you will burn more fuel in most cases. The shorter your measuring points, the more getting fuel at Costco will have an effect.

Sorry, but I am firm on this one--you don't get less mpgs by virtue of Costco gasoline. Where are myth busters when you need them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
john 070
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing