EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an fyi to those who are curious: I ordered the chrome cross rails from gmpartsdirect.com and have them installed in the spot where they are supposed to be "quiet" and for the removal of doubt they are LOUD. They are also a pain to remove and don't seem too well built. Truly seems like an after-thought. A bit let down I must say.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ExRiGuy said:
As an fyi to those who are curious: I ordered the chrome cross rails from gmpartsdirect.com and have them installed in the spot where they are supposed to be "quiet" and for the removal of doubt they are LOUD. They are also a pain to remove and don't seem too well built. Truly seems like an after-thought. A bit let down I must say.
Wow! NOT the experience of most, if not all, on this forum that have had the rails for some time. I installed them myself, took all of 30 minutes to do so. Seem sturdy to me, similar to what I have seen from other manufacturers. Granted, the "chrome" plastic trim piece is a bit "weak", but is only for looks, should be fine.

Drove both with and without the rails, noticed NO difference in noise at all. Tried with all windows closed and with the windows and sunroof open. Generalized wind noise is such that I could not detect any additional noise fronm the rails.

Make sure that they are properly installed and not loose to explain any additional noises. :thumb:

·
Registered
717 Posts
We had the 'black' rails put on which have the chrome colored connecting pieces - No noise diff even though I moved them to better accomodate my ski box.

Agree the chrome color plates on the connectors are a bit cheap but everything is holding in place tightly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dealer installed prior to a 400 mile trip and no noise at all. You should definitely take another look at the insstallation. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can someone re-affirm for me what the "quiet spot" is supposed to be for the front and rear rails? as of now, these are loud and noticeably different than without them, and appear to be installed correctly.

thanks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Not aware of such a spot, I have them on and noticed nothing in regards to noise.....I have the dual sunroofs and they straddle the roofs so the view is not blocked if that helps you....

·
Registered
360 Posts
ExRiGuy said:
can someone re-affirm for me what the "quiet spot" is supposed to be for the front and rear rails? as of now, these are loud and noticeably different than without them, and appear to be installed correctly.

thanks
Not aware of any sweet spot either, but I put mine at the spot on the side rails where the "dimple" is.

If you are having that much noise, there has to be something wrong. Maybe a test drive with the service rep at your dealer might be needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ExRiGuy, Do you mind posting some pictures of the crossrails you have on. I was considering getting the those as well. But just wanted to see what they looked like. I like the "black" rails too but haven't seen pictures of the ones you have. Thanks, orthopac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try to post a pic. As to the install, I went through the instructions and it is correct as far as I can tell. I moved them a bit (also to avoid the dual roofs) and while they are slightly quieter they are still noticeably present. Maybe I'm just too noise-focused, but they make noise, no way around it. Will have the dealer review the install at the next oil change in 2 weeks . . .

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If you are having noise they are installed incorrectly...the lip on the rail needs to be to the front of the rails not the back....check it and if not taligned that way flip them around....!

·
Registered
61 Posts
orthopac said:
ExRiGuy, Do you mind posting some pictures of the crossrails you have on. I was considering getting the those as well. But just wanted to see what they looked like. I like the "black" rails too but haven't seen pictures of the ones you have. Thanks, orthopac
our cross rails did not add any noise. See pic my pics

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Same here. I installed them myself and have had zero noise from them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts