EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife reported that the cruise control is not "holding" the car at the selected speed.
She set the cruise for 30 mph on a street which is a speed trap; going downhill on this road, the car reaches 45mph before my wife decided to hit the brakes and turn the cruise control off. I witnessed the same later.
Anyone else having this issue? I have never had a cruise control not regulate speeds both ways.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've never had that happen either.....never ! I think I would be for taking it back to the Dealer or at least talk to them about it. Good luck and pls keep us informed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
En-Clave said:
Wife reported that the cruise control is not "holding" the car at the selected speed.
She set the cruise for 30 mph on a street which is a speed trap; going downhill on this road, the car reaches 45mph before my wife decided to hit the brakes and turn the cruise control off. I witnessed the same later.
Anyone else having this issue? I have never had a cruise control not regulate speeds both ways.
Does she have the transmission in Drive and not Low with the ERS set to a higher gear? ERS is suppose to cancel out the Automatic Engine Grade braking (not associated with cruise control).
I have also experienced this run on unlike my past Pacifica which actualy downshifted gears to maintain the cruise set speed. I don't think the Enclave's 6 speed does it. Reading from the manual:
Using Cruise Control on Hills
How well your cruise control will work on hills depends
upon the vehicle speed, load, and the steepness of the
hills. When going up steep hills, you might have to step
on the accelerator pedal to maintain the vehicle speed.
When going downhill, you might have to brake or shift to
a lower gear to keep the vehicle speed down.
Of course,
applying the brake turns off the cruise control. Many
drivers find this to be too much trouble and do not use
cruise control on steep hills.
3-14[/color]

Wayne

·
Registered
9 Posts
The manual says that it maintains at "about" 25 mph or more. Maybe 30 is too low. Try 35.

Here's what's in the manual:

Cruise Control
With cruise control, you can maintain a speed of about
25 mph (40 km/h) or more without keeping your foot
on the accelerator. This can really help on long
trips. Cruise control does not work at speeds below
about 25 mph (40 km/h).

·
Registered
743 Posts
ronjon said:
The manual says that it maintains at "about" 25 mph or more. Maybe 30 is too low. Try 35.

Here's what's in the manual:

Cruise Control
With cruise control, you can maintain a speed of about
25 mph (40 km/h) or more without keeping your foot
on the accelerator. This can really help on long
trips. Cruise control does not work at speeds below
about 25 mph (40 km/h).
I think you're right. If I remember from the old days correctly, we didn't use cruise control under 35 MPH.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments/suggestions. Acouple of things:
1. If the manual says cruise works @25+ MPH then it should!

2. I had seen the manual excerpt posted by sunshadw-
Using Cruise Control on Hills
How well your cruise control will work on hills depends
upon the vehicle speed, load, and the steepness of the
hills. When going up steep hills, you might have to step
on the accelerator pedal to maintain the vehicle speed.
When going downhill, you might have to brake or shift to
a lower gear to keep the vehicle speed down. Of course,
applying the brake turns off the cruise control. Many
drivers find this to be too much trouble and do not use
cruise control on steep hills.
3-14-
but I had forgotten it or has dismissed it as non-sense. Much older cars I've had have used engine braking (downshifting) to maintain cruise speed. It seems curious that this is not the case in such an advanced car. and Y the car was in "D", my wife hasn't discovered the "L" shifting yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and YES it's a speed "trap" because I know it's there and I STILL can't drive 30
;D

·
Registered
159 Posts
All the cars I've ever had would lower the throttle when going down a hill but wouldn't downshift the transmission. There are some long hills on the highway .we drive on and the car always increases speed due to gravity. I have driven this road for 25 or more years and always the same, since my '72 Ford. Top of the hill it's 68-70 Bottom is 80-85

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 muchcoffee.
Thanks a bunch, never seen this website before.
I live right by the next to last speedtrap, rarely see the cops they're talking about.

·
Registered
388 Posts
En-Clave said:
The Enclave doesn't downshift to slow down as my wife's Chrysler Sebring convertible did (although even that didn't do much). New cars have such low rolling resistance that they speed up quite a bit downhill.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
rwagoner said:
The Enclave doesn't downshift to slow down as my wife's Chrysler Sebring convertible did (although even that didn't do much). New cars have such low rolling resistance that they speed up quite a bit downhill.
There is a downshifting feature on the Enclave. If you are going down a steep hill and are breaking to maintain your speed, it will downshift to assist with this to save on your brakes. I live in an area with steep hills where I will be coasting and go from 55 to 80, when I brake, it downshifts, it is a great feature, but I think it is triggered by the braking so unless you are doing that it won't kick in...

·
Registered
388 Posts
bsox said:
There is a downshifting feature on the Enclave. If you are going down a steep hill and are breaking to maintain your speed, it will downshift to assist with this to save on your brakes. I live in an area with steep hills where I will be coasting and go from 55 to 80, when I brake, it downshifts, it is a great feature, but I think it is triggered by the braking so unless you are doing that it won't kick in...
I've tried that out and it works well. But for whatever reason it doesn't work with cruise.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I would think that if you use your Brakes while in Cruise, it would disable the Cruise wouldn't it ? With that being said, that's why it doesn't work in Cruise. You have to use your Brakes in order to activate the Automatic feature don't you ?? I really don't know, Just asking.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
That's kinda what I thought, but I figured it was so obvious that I must have missed something...

·
Registered
388 Posts
rocketman said:
I would think that if you use your Brakes while in Cruise, it would disable the Cruise wouldn't it ? With that being said, that's why it doesn't work in Cruise. You have to use your Brakes in order to activate the Automatic feature don't you ?? I really don't know, Just asking.
Right. But you'd think, since Chrysler had it in 1997 that the cruise control would downshift if the car picked up speed, that GM could incorporate it along with the downhill braking thing. Doesn't matter to me, but it seems like it would be an easy programming upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts