EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of threads on here about which tires to choose, but you have to wade through all the posts in each thread to find out what options are out there. I have been doing research on new 19" tires for our Enclave and found quite a few manufacturers. I thought maybe the mods could "sticky" this thread and we can keep a running list of options in the first post and could discuss the pros/cons in following posts. I'll start the list with what I found so far.

NOTE -- All tires on this list are 255/60R19 and are ALL-SEASON RADIALS (no snow-only or summer-only tires). Also, I added UTQG ratings. I know they can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but they can be used to give a general idea of how one tire rates against another, just don't treat the ratings as the final word :D

List as of 8/6/15:

Brand Tire UTQG
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 600AA
Bridgestone Dueler 422 Ecopia 640AA
Bridgestone Dueler Sport A/S 500AA
Continental CrossContact LX20 680AA
Cooper CS4 Touring 560AA
Cooper Discoverer CTS 620AA
Falken Ziex ZE-912 480AA
Firestone Destination LE2 520AB
Firestone Destination ST 400AA
General Grabber HTS 640AB
General Grabber HTS60 660AA[/color]
Goodyear Eagle RS-A 260AA
Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain 640AB
Hankook Dynapro HP2 640AA
Hankook Ventus AS RH07 420AA
Kuhmo Crugen Premium 440AA[/color]
Kuhmo Solus KL21 500AA
Michelin Defender LTX M/S 720AA[/color]
Michelin Lattitude Tour 600AB <-- OEM installed at factory
Michelin Premier LTX 620AA
Nokian eNTYRE 700AA
Pirelli Scorpion Verde 740AA
Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus 740AA[/color]
Sumitomo HTR Enhance C/X 600AA
Toyo Versado-CUV 440AA
Yokohama Geolander H/T G056 720AA

At sklunk's request, GoldEnclave has taken over the updates on this thread.[/color]

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Good idea! :thumb:

I think I found a couple more:

Nexen R0542
Nokian Entyre

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I just made it sticky. Great idea! :thumb:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Anyone know which ones are "Made in USA"? When I buy my next set......I want to help someone keep their job.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BadAV said:
Good idea! :thumb:

I think I found a couple more:

Nexen R0542
Nokian Entyre
Actually they don't have any in the 255/60R19 size (which is OEM with 19" wheels). Others manufacturers WITHOUT that size include Kelly, Pirelli, Continental, Dunlop, Yokohama, and Kumho.

GoldEnclave said:
I just made it sticky. Great idea! :thumb:
Thanks for pinning it. Now is there any way to allow others to edit the first post so that the list and date it was revised can be kept at the top of the thread?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
sklunk said:
Actually they don't have any in the 255/60R19 size (which is OEM with 19" wheels). Others manufacturers WITHOUT that size include Kelly, Pirelli, Continental, Dunlop, Yokohama, and Kumho.
Actually, they are both available in 255-60R19. I verified both tires are available before I posted it. Maybe they are new?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BadAV said:
Actually, they are both available in 255-60R19. I verified both tires are available before I posted it. Maybe they are new?
You're right about the Nokian -- I finally found it buried on their website. I added the info to the list.

I still couldn't find the Nexen info. If you can forward it to me I'll gladly add them to the list too.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I haven't tried to find it on the manufacturer's website, but here's picture (screen shot) of a site that's selling them.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Cooper 255/60R19's mounted and balanced $820. That is, by far, the best price locally or online for the Cooper Touring CS4's.

These are going on my '09 Enclave tomorrow to replace the Michelin Latitude OEM's. I'm not pleased with 47,000 miles on 60,000 mile tires that are near-bald in the middle of the tread. They are like ice skates on our Wisconsin winter roads. They also had fairly bad hydroplaning tendancy on wet roads even when new.

Anxious to see how the Coopers work out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dzs3fz said:
Anyone know which ones are "Made in USA"? When I buy my next set......I want to help someone keep their job.
The only US tire manufactures left, (US owned companys) are Cooper and Goodyear.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I got the Coopers and have been happy with the performance - only worry is some seem to indicate premature wear on them.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
afornal said:
The only US tire manufactures left, (US owned companys) are Cooper and Goodyear.
That may be true, but many Michelin tires are manufactured right here in the US.

It's the same type of situation as with the Asian automotive manufacturers that have a presence here. Ultimately the profits go back "home" but a lot of jobs have been created here that keep US citizens gainfully employed.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
BadAV said:
That may be true, but many Michelin tires are manufactured right here in the US.

It's the same type of situation as with the Asian automotive manufacturers that have a presence here. Ultimately the profits go back "home" but a lot of jobs have been created here that keep US citizens gainfully employed.
my WIX filters are made in Mexico, it really doesn't matter. What is odd is when American flags are note made in USA.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BadAV said:
Yep, my Michelin Lattitudes are stamped "Made in USA" right on the sidewall.

I started this research because my OEM Lattitudes have 39,000 miles and are down to 3/32nds tread depth. I decided to try either the Coopers or another set of Lattitudes (I was happy with the performance and comfort of the Lattitudes, just not the life of this particular set, but I'm willing to give them a second chance). We bought the E used and I don't think the owner before me kept them rotated which probably led to premature wear.

I opened a warranty claim with Michelin and they told me to have the tires inspected at a local dealer and have the dealer call them while I was there. Believe it or not they agreed to a warranty claim and prorated my new purchase at 60%. My local dealer had quoted me $295 per tire for 255/60R19 Lattitudes but with the warrantly claim that dropped to $177 per tire! :eek:

At that price I'm going to put the Michelins back on. I rotate all my tires religiously every 5000 miles so we'll see how they hold up. I'll be interested to see how the Coopers work for you all since they were an option for me as well.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I checked online and it seems the Michelin Latitudes can be made in US, Canada, Thailand, China, or France. It's only a matter of time. ;)

Also, you CANNOT compare UTQG across makes. Only across the same make. So unless you're shopping among the same brand, ignore treadwear imho. I like to insist on AA for traction but let's face it, it's just like GM reporting a 16 city mpg to the EPA, the tire mfgs report their own numbers to the DOT.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
bocoogto said:
Cooper 255/60R19's mounted and balanced $820. That is, by far, the best price locally or online for the Cooper Touring CS4's.

These are going on my '09 Enclave tomorrow to replace the Michelin Latitude OEM's. I'm not pleased with 47,000 miles on 60,000 mile tires that are near-bald in the middle of the tread. They are like ice skates on our Wisconsin winter roads. They also had fairly bad hydroplaning tendancy on wet roads even when new.

Anxious to see how the Coopers work out.
FWIW, that's about $100 better than my local dealer's installed price.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Yes, that is a low price. :thumb:

·
Registered
532 Posts
The Coopers are as quiet as the Michelins were, which is very quiet. I'll be interested in how the Coopers compare in regard to hydroplaning and traction after they have a few miles on them. Now that the Coopers are new, the traction on snow and ice is much better than the Michelins, but they had 48,000 miles on them, so it's not a fair comparison. I do remember, however, that traction and hydroplaning resistance were never good with the Michelins, even when new.

Yes, the final mounted and balanced price was $820 plus 5% sales tax, which made the bottom line $861. Of the other four price checks I made, this is more than $100 better than any of them. It's amazing that an independent family-owned tire store can do this today with all the tire discounters, Wal Mart, GM dealers pushing tire sales, etc.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
bocoogto said:
The Coopers are as quiet as the Michelins were, which is very quiet.
Hmmm, that was probably the issue making me nervous at pulling the trigger on anything other than the OEM Latitudes (I shopped back around Christmas but still haven't bought yet). I recently put a set of CS4's on my kids' car; too early to know how good they're going to be, but I've always been a Cooper fan.

But even at $100 beyond what you spent, a set of CS4's is still from $100-200 cheaper than replacement Latitudes or Alenzas in my market.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The Michelin Latitudes on my Enclave were not noisey compared to other tires I've had on different cars. On certain road surfaces, such as smooth asphalt, there was no noise at all from the Michelins. The Coopers are, however, as quiet or maybe quieter than the Michelins, judging from the one week I've had the Coopers.

As a bonus, the speedometer now reads exactly the same as my Garmin due to the unworn OD of the new tires.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts