EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
sklunk said:
Since I won't be visiting regularly anymore I probably won't keep the list in the first post up to date. Maybe one of the Mods could take it over ????
Sure, make us do all of the work. :eyebrow:

:happy: Of course. It's a topic of personal interest, so I would be glad to update it periodically. :)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I know we'll likely be stung, but still planning on Scorpions. Not made in USA or Italy, what can ya do.

Premier ltx seem good, but the 8.5/32 starting tread, just don't like it.

Latitude dry rot recall issues plus S rated, Nein danke

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
john 070 said:
I know we'll likely be stung, but still planning on Scorpions. Not made in USA or Italy, what can ya do.

I had done research last month and was ready to put Scorpion Verde Plus on our Enclave before we traded it. They look like great tires and get great reviews on a lot of sites (not just TireRack.com). Keep us up to date on how you make out ...

Gold:
It's all yours now :angel:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
sklunk said:
I had done research last month and was ready to put Scorpion Verde Plus on our Enclave before we traded it. They look like great tires and get great reviews on a lot of sites (not just TireRack.com). Keep us up to date on how you make out ...

Gold:
It's all yours now
:angel:
Um, thanks. :D

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I've noticed that the new Grabber HTS60 tire is manufactured in the U.S. :thumb: The older Grabber HTS is also U.S. made, and has been a great tire so far through over 77,000 miles on my Subaru Tribeca. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Here's an update on the performance of my tires.

My Tribeca's Grabber HTSs are still gripping nicely in the snow this season, even with over 77,000 miles of wear. On the other hand, my Enclave's Hankook Ventus RH07s are struggling to gain traction when stopping; very dangerous! They have about 62,000 miles of wear. Both sets of tires were measured to have 6/32" of tread last fall.

I figured that I would need to replace my Tribeca's tires first, but it appears that the opposite is clearly the case.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Ice storm update:

Though my wife complained of dangerously poor grip on slushy and icy roads a couple of weeks ago, my Enclave and it's Hankooks handled last night's icy roads perfectly. Given this experience, and since winter should be waning soon, I'll probably postpone my tire search until next fall.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I've given this a lot of thought and my buddy convinced me to go Premier LTX. I am not that brand loyal but since he has had two sets of the LTXs and one set of the Scorpions, he has real world experience. Said he got 72k on the last set of LTX's, and only 40k on the Scorpions. I do want to save $$$ on tires when it comes to my 1998 Nissan, so $62 after rebate on Kumho 4XII's which are ultra high perf a/s, is not bad. Because our family rides in the Enclave, decided I would not cheap out on its rubber. But I am still not convinced that the dry rot on the Latitudes is ok and not service-affecting. And Michelin should be punished, but my purchase of Pilot Super Sports and ultimately a set of Premier LTXs is like throwing back 20 red snappers in the Gulf of Mexico....

·
Registered
231 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Here's an update on the performance of my tires.

My Tribeca's Grabber HTSs are still gripping nicely in the snow this season, even with over 77,000 miles of wear. On the other hand, my Enclave's Hankook Ventus RH07s are struggling to gain traction when stopping; very dangerous! They have about 62,000 miles of wear. Both sets of tires were measured to have 6/32" of tread last fall.

I figured that I would need to replace my Tribeca's tires first, but it appears that the opposite is clearly the case.
I just put the Hankooks on my E a few months ago and had the same traction issue. I mentioned it to my tire guy and out of the blue I suggested maybe more air pressure. He said try a couple three pounds and see what happens.
Added two pounds all the way around and noted better traction right away.
Seems strange but it works. Was at 35 now just under 38.
Rick

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Rick H said:
I just put the Hankooks on my E a few months ago and had the same traction issue. I mentioned it to my tire guy and out of the blue I suggested maybe more air pressure. He said try a couple three pounds and see what happens.
Added two pounds all the way around and noted better traction right away.
Seems strange but it works. Was at 35 now just under 38.
Rick
That's very interesting! I added about 5 lbs of air to each tire not long after my wife's ice traction complaint because the air pressure warning on the DIC lit up when the weather became frigid. Maybe the issue was due to poor central tread contact with the ice when the tires were low on air? With air pressure increased to spec, I had no trouble driving on icy roads.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
By the time I traded in my Enclave 3 weeks ago, it's Hankook Ventus AS RH07s had about 64,500 miles of use. They'd been annoyingly noisy after the first 15,000 miles, and were never completely vibration free at highway speeds, but they still had roughly 5/32"-6/32" of tread left. They probably could have been used for up to another 10,000 miles before their treadwear would have started impacting safety and performance.

Today, the General Grabber HTSs on my Tribeca passed the 80,000 mile mark. They have about 4/32" of tread left, so I plan to finally replace them soon. I'll report what replaced them when I mount new rubber.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
GoldEnclave said:
By the time I traded in my Enclave 3 weeks ago, it's Hankook Ventus AS RH07s had about 64,500 miles of use. They'd been annoyingly noisy after the first 15,000 miles, and were never completely vibration free at highway speeds, but they still had roughly 5/32"-6/32" of tread left. They probably could have been used for up to another 10,000 miles before their treadwear would have started impacting safety and performance.

Today, the General Grabber HTSs on my Tribeca passed the 80,000 mile mark. They have about 4/32" of tread left, so I plan to finally replace them soon. I'll report what replaced them when I mount new rubber.
Gold,

You finally traded the Enclave?!?! What did you get to replace it?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
sklunk said:
Gold,

You finally traded the Enclave?!?! What did you get to replace it?
I traded it in on March 26th for an Audi Q3. My wife and I were looking to downsize for better fuel economy since we no longer need the Enclave's huge cargo and passenger capacities.

Also, I had been informed just a couple of weeks prior that my Enclave needed a new steering rack, new driver's door speaker, transmission cooler lines, new tires, and new TPMS sensors. At the dealer, this would have topped the $5,000 mark. With a possibly looming wave plate failure and subsequent additional bill in the $4,000 range, I decided it was time to trade it in.

Though I wasn't eager to take on monthly car payments, and did not want to lose my Enclave, I've been very happy with my new Q3 so far. Also, the new car came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires, which I'm also happy with so far. I'll let you know how they perform in snow and ice next winter.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Good to hear. Good luck with the Q3. Audi's are usually pretty good for both ride and build quality so hopefully it treats you well (when we bought our Enclave in 2011 we had it narrowed down between the E and a Q7).

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
sklunk said:
Good to hear. Good luck with the Q3. Audi's are usually pretty good for both ride and build quality so hopefully it treats you well (when we bought our Enclave in 2011 we had it narrowed down between the E and a Q7).
The Enclave is in good company with the Q7. The Q3 is in the same segment as the Encore, though the Q3 is several inches longer and a little wider.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience with Firestone Destination LE2s? I can't recall anyone mentioning them, or any other Firestone tire, even though they rate very well according to various sources.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I traded it in on March 26th for an Audi Q3. My wife and I were looking to downsize for better fuel economy since we no longer need the Enclave's huge cargo and passenger capacities.

Also, I had been informed just a couple of weeks prior that my Enclave needed a new steering rack, new driver's door speaker, transmission cooler lines, new tires, and new TPMS sensors. At the dealer, this would have topped the $5,000 mark. With a possibly looming wave plate failure and subsequent additional bill in the $4,000 range, I decided it was time to trade it in.

Though I wasn't eager to take on monthly car payments, and did not want to lose my Enclave, I've been very happy with my new Q3 so far. Also, the new car came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires, which I'm also happy with so far. I'll let you know how they perform in snow and ice next winter.
Q3 is a very compelling vehicle......a good friend of mine has one and wouldn't trade it for the world (not that it matters, but I think that Scorpion has been the standard model rubber on the Q3 from the get-go). Congrats !!!!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I don't know if it's available in 19" & 20" Enclave sizes......actually, I think not.....but I just put on a set of Michelin Defender XT (Costco model) on my wife's Outback.

About the only comments I have on them thus far is that they ride comparatively rough and loud. It seems pretty clear to me they're composed of an exceptionally hard rubber compound.....probably the hardest I've ever personally experienced......which is almost assuredly the reason for the 90K mileage warranty. For those who prefer something quieter and smoother riding (with a correspondingly lower mileage warranty) in that specific class of tire, Michelin markets the Premier A/S.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
wvuguy said:
Q3 is a very compelling vehicle......a good friend of mine has one and wouldn't trade it for the world (not that it matters, but I think that Scorpion has been the standard model rubber on the Q3 from the get-go). Congrats !!!!
Thanks! I'm very happy with it so far. I do still miss my Enclave, but I must admit that I think about it less and less in the weeks since I traded it in for the Q3 Quattro.

·
Registered
251 Posts
john 070 said:

Didn't know there was a Latitude recall, will have to check mine, not sure if I'm affected they will do anything anyway, but good stuff to know, thanks for posting.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts