EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Does anyone here have any experience with Firestone Destination LE2s? I can't recall anyone mentioning them, or any other Firestone tire, even though they rate very well according to various sources.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Why not get Premier LTX and call it a day....are the other tires cheaper? imho one should put the equivalent of what came with the vehicle, on, upon replacement. The Latitudes have dry rot and are S rated, the LTX are H and a newer generation. Yes, the LTX only start at 8.5/32, but Michelin claims they are good when new, good when worn (who knows), I'm over it....

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
john 070, they are an intriguing tire, but they are not made in my Tribeca's tire size. Interestingly, they are available in my new Q3's size, but I hopefully won't need to replace its tires for several years.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I ordered a set of Firestone Destination LE2s for my Subaru Tribeca, which will be mounted early next week. Not only do they get a high rating/ranking on TireRack.com and the independent service chain's website, but also the service manager on the phone spoke very highly of them when I asked his opinion. At only $152 per tire (255/55 HR18), they are also a bargain. In addition, there is currently a $60 rebate promotion.

I'll review their performance in the coming months for those considering buying a set for their Enclaves. ;)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
This is a funny thread and my PhD philosophy professor buddy would get a kick out of it.

We're still months away from getting new shoes, but I've been thinking about it for years. Pirelli Scorpions, look so da** cool. The land where Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati are made (actually no, they are not made there). But after all the reviews etc., and my friend saying it's your money, mine lasted 27k, if you're ok with it, by all means get what you want.

People can say, get the Premier LTX, they are the newest design, last blah blah blah, and the thread will be subject to endless debate, with folks even choosing Latitudes over them! :confused:

Ignoring the dry rot which Michelin says yes it's there, but it is not a service-affecting issue on the Latitudes, I would simply say they're S rated tires, which belongs in the early 90's.

Let's all get out our popcorn and keep this thread going, what great tires are out there, and don't say Premier LTX, because we don't want to get the best for our money, simply because everyone is saying they are...lol

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
My wife's driven most of the 300 miles that we've put on my Tribeca's Firestone Destination LE2s, so my early driving impression is based on only about 30 miles on dry roads.

So far, the tires are perfectly balanced, fairly quiet, and have good road manners overall. Steering is about the same as with the 82,000 mile worn General Grabber HTSs that still had about 4/32" of tread left when I retired them. I have no experience with the new tires yet in rain, snow, or ice.

TireRack.com uses the Firestone Destination LE2s as their benchmark tire in their road tests in the Light Truck Highway All Season category. They consider it a very well rounded solid performer. They'd stated the same about the General Grabber HTS tires based on their road test several years ago, and my experience with the Generals was excellent. I expect the same from the new Firestones.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We purchased our 2011 CXL1 two months ago and the dealer we purchased it from had installed Nexen Roadian HTX RH5 tires as part of their reconditioning. I was skeptical of Nexen tires but read quite a few positive reviews and it is H speed rated. After putting about 2,000 miles on them I say I would buy them again. So far they are quiet and have no visual defects or directional pulls. For about $130 each I would say they are a Good Cheap Tire and will keep them until they wear out.

BTW, link below to the tire and a good online tire vendor.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products...55%2F60-19+nexen+roadian+htx+rh5+109h+bw.html

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Still planning on Premier LTX at Costco. It actually seems like it's not just the Costco Visa, but other cc's as well? That offer 2% at warehouse clubs...times are changing. I just don't like the idea of nitrogen from costco, maybe I'll drain it out and add air back in. Nitrogen in tires so you don't have to add air when it gets cold, sheesh. Next thing you know they'll make cars that park themselves. lazification!

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Paul K., though I haven't found any ratings for this particular Nexen tire, the tread looks well designed for good overall wet, dry, snow, and ice traction. The center rib should help provide a quiet ride with good tracking.

Please keep us updated on their overall performance as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
john 070 said:
Still planning on Premier LTX at Costco. It actually seems like it's not just the Costco Visa, but other cc's as well? That offer 2% at warehouse clubs...times are changing. I just don't like the idea of nitrogen from costco, maybe I'll drain it out and add air back in. Nitrogen in tires so you don't have to add air when it gets cold, sheesh. Next thing you know they'll make cars that park themselves. lazification!
Car manufacturers never should have eliminated manual crank starting, too. ;D

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
My Tribeca's new Firestone Destination LE2s now have about 725 miles of use. They've become quieter to the point that they are now very quiet tires. They also seem to ride a bit softer than the old General Grabber HTSs. I've still driven them only on dry roads, so their wet road handling remain unevaluated for now. If their wet, snow, and ice performance matches the Grabber's, I'll be very happy with them, especially for their relatively low price.

Regarding treadwear, I don't expect to own my Tribeca long enough to find out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi all...

So four years and 25-30K miles later my tires are cracking once again. My clave now has about 56K total miles. So I went the same route that was suggested to me four years ago and Michelin agreed to cover 50% of my tires but I’m concerned that this will happen again. I feel the that the product that Michelin in making is crap.

Would anyone out their press their luck for a third time? My choices are the Latitudes or the Premier LTX (which have an awesome reviews). Has anyone had good/bad experiences with either or do I just have bad luck? Has anyone installed Premier LTX tires?

I was also considering the Sumitomo tires which the guy at NTB suggested but the very low cost per tire scares me.

Thx Joe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Michelin has had this problem before. A friend of mine purchased a 97 Honda Accord new which came equipped with their MXV 'Green" radial. The sidewalls cracked after about 3 years and 25k miles. Michelin prorated the tires 50% and she purchased another set of Michelins with no problems, however, I forgot which model of the Michelin she purchased.

At the time, I did some quick research and apparently many of Michelin's Green line of tires experienced this cracking.

I have 16" Michelin Latitudes on my '09 Explorer. After about 18 months and 15k miles no cracking... yet.

My in laws have a '15 Toyota Highlander which has Bridgestone Dueler tires as original equipment. I don't know which model Dueler they are but that is one smooth and quiet tire.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Based on my experience with the Pirelli Scorpion AS Verde on my 2016 Audi Q3, I can state that they are a very quiet tire, too. They also have a very smooth ride. I am really impressed with them, so far. :thumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Based on recent comments, it seems Pirelli has really improved. They were OEM on Jaguars for years and were often plagued with tire pulls from shifting belts.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
Paul K. said:
Based on recent comments, it seems Pirelli has really improved. They were OEM on Jaguars for years and were often plagued with tire pulls from shifting belts.
As impressed as I am with them so far (no snow or ice driving yet), the non-OEM Pirelli Scorpion AS Verde Plus version is supposedly even better in every respect. ;)

·
Registered
987 Posts
After 75k trouble free miles on my Michelin Latitude’s, I replaced them with the Michelin Premier LTX. I believe the Latitude is being discontinued. Hope I am satisfied with the ride quality and have the same great wear life.

·
Super Moderator
703 Posts
Had a set of Cooper CS4 Tourings on our Murano and had a set of Cooper CS5 Tourings on my mom's CR-V. We had a set of Cooper Discover SRX's on the CX9 we just traded for the Enclave and they were just ok. They were more aggressive and better in really bad snow than the CS4's but gave up too much in ride quality\ride noise.

I do love the Cooper CSx Tourings though and the CS5 Ultra Touring (only model available in our 19's size) will be the tire that goes on our Enclave when CS4's the original owner put in are shot. They've still get 7/32'nds all around though so it will be a while.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
In about 2 wks, we'll order the Premier LTX from Costco. Since we will have installed where there is no sales tax, it worked out $60 cheaper than online. Plus, I won't have to plug tires anymore, it will be Costco's job! I have no idea why anyone would buy anything else, and I've over-researched this topic. I'm a so far over the 8.5 vs. 11/32 thing... :thumb:

the new used car is getting Michelin X ice 3's (as it's RWD) and going -1 to 17's....also picked those up tax free and saved $120 shipping....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a set of Firestone LE2's and have about 12,000km (7400 miles) on them and they are great.

Quiet, good in snow I would highly recommend them!

201 - 220 of 226 Posts