EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I custom order an Enclave and am willing to wait for several months. Is the entire deal to the penny locked in at order time? Can you get out of the deal if you have to?

What about the value of the trade-in vehicle? If I wait until the new vehicle arrives from the factory to present my old vehicle for trade, they could low ball the value since it would be a "take it or leave it" situation. But how can they state what it is worth now? Do they estimate what it will be worth in 4 months? What kind of ways do they word the contract in their favor?

Also looking for dealers within 150 miles of St. Louis who will let order for as close to invoice (or below).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
gbshuler said:
Say I custom order an Enclave and am willing to wait for several months. Is the entire deal to the penny locked in at order time? Can you get out of the deal if you have to?

What about the value of the trade-in vehicle? If I wait until the new vehicle arrives from the factory to present my old vehicle for trade, they could low ball the value since it would be a "take it or leave it" situation. But how can they state what it is worth now? Do they estimate what it will be worth in 4 months? What kind of ways do they word the contract in their favor?

Also looking for dealers within 150 miles of St. Louis who will let order for as close to invoice (or below).

Thanks
to try and answer you based on how I did things and have always done so, first you should not expect to wait for several months anymore. Based on this site, orders are being filled much more quickly now. I think it is safe to say that 8-10 weeks is very legit right now. Second you negogiate your price and the trade-in value when you order the car. This is signed and they can not change it. They know you will put miles on your trade in while you wait. You are generally asked to leave a deposit. It seems each dealer handles this in their own way, no standard. Mine only asked for a hundred bucks. Some want you to leave more. You should be able to get out of the deal anytime and get your deposit back. just asked them up front and get it in writing. These are selling so fast they don't really need to worry about being stuck with a vehicle. I would walk away from any dealer that wants a big deposit, will not put your trade in value and price for the enclave in writing or will not refund your deposit. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
743 Posts
gbshuler said:

Thanks
My situation was somewhat similar to what you're asking about.
I ordered on May 18th. My Dealer quoted me a Price for my Trade-in. GM only picked up my Order around LaborDay. Later my Dealer started saying they have to look at the Values weekly because of how the Vehicles depreciate. He hinted 2 or 3 Thousand less for my Trade-in. I haven't mentioned it to him yet, but I'm keeping my Vehicle. It only has 14,200 miles........4 Oil Changes, and I'm not about to just give it away. Now, I'll have 2 New Vehicles. My Enclave and the one that I almost traded in. 8)
I would suggest you do the same or try to sell it outright. You will most likely take a loss if you trade it in.
I don't believe you're obligated unless you and the Dealer sign a Contract, and then sign only if you're completely satified with the wording.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Like said. A lot will give you a ballpark idea on your trade at order time, but few* will lock anything in until the time when the new vehicle actually comes in.

And, as pertains to the order, it's a hot vehicle, and if it comes in and you even just change your mind, it's usually never a problem just to back out, get the deposit back, and they'll sell it as regular inventory.

*Edited :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Like said. A lot will give you a ballpark idea on your trade at order time, but none will lock anything in until the time when the new vehicle actually comes in.

And, as pertains to the order, it's a hot vehicle, and if it comes in and you even just change your mind, it's usually never a problem just to back out, get the deposit back, and they'll sell it as regular inventory.
I am sorry to disagree, but my dealer and I locked in everything including the price I would pay for the enclave, the conquest rebate, AND my trade in value. I specifically asked him about the trade and that I would be putting miles on it while we waited. He said he would give me what we just agreed on unless I went crazy and put on 5000 miles or something or it was in an accident. As it turns out I waited so long for my order, I put on 4000 miles and it was not a problem, not an issue, never came up etc. Everything I negogiated was locked in, written down, and honored at the time I picked up my Enclave. I disagree when you say "none will lock anything in until the time ..." As I said, I have EVERYTHING locked in and negogiated and nothing changed. Anything less and I would have walked away and would suggest anyone else to do the same. Why would you order something of this expense and leave anything to chance. You know they will take advantage of anything they can if you give them the chance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I waited 5 months and 1 week, ordered 4/23, delivered 9/30. My dealer honored everything. No down payment, no doc fees, Price (supplier) and trade in, even though we put 3500 more miles on it. Also, installed the integrated assist steps no charge, paid $618.00 for them. They told me that it was a way to help offset the long wait. Great dealer to work with. No bs when it came to finally getting the deal done.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We walked into our dealership just to look at the Enclave.
We didn't realize we would be sitting down filling out a "special order" for a car we hadn't even test drove!
That day, we did NOT have our trade with us. (1997 Camry)
First, we negotiated on the monthly payments...then, he said, sight un-seen, he would give us $2000 for our car..after that, my husband shook his head and did the "I don't know.".. :sosad: gesture...so, the sales manager went back to his desk, came back and said I will give you $3000 for your trade. At that point my husband did the little smirk like he was much happier with that.. Also, we signed a contract with the $3,000 trade written in ink.

Longer story short, we will not be trading in our Camry..we sold it to a family member for $3000 who tried to get it for $2,000..I wouldn't budge! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
509 Posts
bsox said:
I am sorry to disagree, but my dealer and I locked in everything including the price I would pay for the enclave, the conquest rebate, AND my trade in value. I specifically asked him about the trade and that I would be putting miles on it while we waited. He said he would give me what we just agreed on unless I went crazy and put on 5000 miles or something or it was in an accident. As it turns out I waited so long for my order, I put on 4000 miles and it was not a problem, not an issue, never came up etc. Everything I negogiated was locked in, written down, and honored at the time I picked up my Enclave. I disagree when you say "none will lock anything in until the time ..." As I said, I have EVERYTHING locked in and negogiated and nothing changed. Anything less and I would have walked away and would suggest anyone else to do the same. Why would you order something of this expense and leave anything to chance. You know they will take advantage of anything they can if you give them the chance.
My post is now fixed, as that was a typo of sorts. Some will do it, but others won't. All depends.

A few years ago when we bought our Suburban, it had to be located and brought in from another dealer, but when we first went looking, we got a trade appraisal (and the number was DEAD on). Still wanted time to think about it, etc., decide on a specific vehicle, and asked if that trade number would still be good, and they said yes, as long as we didn't go out and rack up another few thousand miles, etc. (I think a big thing here was, it was 2 years old with a 36k warranty, and was at 32k, still covered), they were fine with that.

Just all depends on the circumstance...order time, dealer, car being traded & the specs, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts