EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to find a custom fitted windshield sun shade? I really prefer the ones that have been designed to fit the windshield exactly. In the desert you need to keep every ray of sun out you can! I've cruised the GM sites and haven't found one.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
sunshadw said:
I have the Eclipse accordion shades installed in my Enclave. We have used them in all of our vehicles with good results and ease of use.
http://www.autogeek.net/ecsun.html
The local tint shop installed them when I had the side windows tinted 20% (AZ legal 33%).
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Wayne
Hey Wayne, these look very nice from the pictures on the first website. So, they just fold up, almost into themselves, is that correct? Could you post some pictures of your own? I would love to get something that doesn't look like those awful sunshades everyone had for a while. These actually look "Enclave-worthy"!![/color] :angel:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
Hey Wayne, these look very nice from the pictures on the first website. So, they just fold up, almost into themselves, is that correct? Could you post some pictures of your own? I would love to get something that doesn't look like those awful sunshades everyone had for a while. These actually look "Enclave-worthy"!![/color] :angel:
Rosita2001,
I've added some photos in my gallery.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
sunshadw said:
Rosita2001,
I've added some photos in my gallery.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne! Hey, you're the guy with the too cool garage for your Enclave! [/color] :angel:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wayne, Thanks for the recommendation and photos! These look pretty cool and convenient.

Can you tell me a little about how these attach to the glass? Once they're on can you take them off without leaving some kind of mark?

Also, if you are sitting in the driver seat how easy is it to reach over and extend the passenger side shade?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rosten said:
Can you tell me a little about how these attach to the glass? Once they're on can you take them off without leaving some kind of mark?
Each side is stuck on the windshield (not the dash or pillars) in two places with some sort of sticky & gooey. I never have done it, but the website states that they are "easily removed with a simple twist of the wrist".

Rosten said:
Also, if you are sitting in the driver seat how easy is it to reach over and extend the passenger side shade?
I can reach both halves, with the shoulder harness off, with no problem and neither does my wife. I also have them on my F350 which does takes quite a bit of a contortion to use.

Wayne

·
Registered
360 Posts
I ordered the Cover Craft custom accordion sunscreen fro AutoSport Catalog. It is solid insulation board, silver on the outside, a nice felt on the inside. It fits very well. The downside is the need to store it somewhere. My Enclave is garaged at home and work, so I don't use the sunshade all the time. I keep the shade behind the third row.

Here's the link: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/covercraft/index.cfm/fa/p/cid/123/pid/277/sc/9741

You can also get the same thing from other vendors listed on the Cover Craft web site: http://www.covercraft.com/buy_online.htm
Be aware that the prices are variable with differences of up to $15! I paid $49.95 plus $4.95 for a case. Seems worth the cost for quality. :thumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
xrayman said:
I ordered the Cover Craft custom accordion sunscreen fro AutoSport Catalog. It is solid insulation board, silver on the outside, a nice felt on the inside. It fits very well. The downside is the need to store it somewhere. My Enclave is garaged at home and work, so I don't use the sunshade all the time. I keep the shade behind the third row.

Here's the link: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/covercraft/index.cfm/fa/p/cid/123/pid/277/sc/9741

You can also get the same thing from other vendors listed on the Cover Craft web site: http://www.covercraft.com/buy_online.htm
Be aware that the prices are variable with differences of up to $15! I paid $49.95 plus $4.95 for a case. Seems worth the cost for quality. :thumb:
I like it, ordering one for my White Diamond with Titainum interior that should be here around the first of October.

Fritz

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. I hadn't really considered the storage problem. Will problably go with the accordian type Wayne recommended.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Okay guys, need to know...do they really look that neat when they are closed? I want to order these, but have a hard time believing thay look this cool-and stay that way...[/color] ???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
Okay guys, need to know...do they really look that neat when they are closed? I want to order these, but have a hard time believing thay look this cool-and stay that way...[/color] ???
I would suggest that you stop by any local tint shop and check out a customer vehicle or display for yourself. As a matter of info, my shop tinted both front windows and installed the shades for $124.27 total.

Wayne

·
Registered
14 Posts
Custom Windshield Sun Shade - How has the Eclipse held up?

Old Topic I know but I just bought one of these Eclipse Sunshades. The South Florida sun is also brutal on cars. I installed it myself in about 30 minutes and it seems to work well. I don't really notice it against the posts when it is open. It closes well and snaps back into place easily. I will actually use it I think, which I don't when I have to dig it out each time. :thumb:

How have they held up for those of you that have had them for a couple of years now?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I see that there is very little on this subject.... My wife picked up a sun screen from Auto Zone that size wise was for the Enclave. The shade is too large which gets me to my question. Is there a close fitting front windshield sun screen out there? Not the pleated slide type.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We have this retractable one on our enclave and it works pretty well:

http://www.brandnewauto.com/Sun-Sha...ADE/BUICK/RETRACTABLE-SUN-SHADE-p7667834.html

I am not really sure of the pluses/minuses of this design versus the Eclipse posted above (pulling all the way to one side versus meeting in the middle). Seems like more-or-less the same idea.

Edit: I guess one benefit to the Eclipse is that it can go around the rear view mirror, where as the one we have must go in front of the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My wife and I have been using this type of product for our cars for many years. The ONLY problem we have ever had with them is that over time, the nylon line that runs horizontally thru the shade and allows them to retract can break and is not replaceable. These shades can be installed very, very easily. If you have your windshield replaced, be sure to take the mounting clips off (simple twist of the wrist is just a little bit of an understatement...) you need to slowly lift it up on the clip and run a sharp razor blade between the adhesive pad and the glass to "cut" the bond. Once your new windshield is in, you will need to remount the clips using new 3M auto adhesive tape (can be found at any auto store). I believe the product called "The Shade" is made here in Az (Tempe) so they know a little something about sun protection.
The great thing about this type of product is that we actually USE it EVERY time we park. We do not have to search for it...it is just right there. We have always purchased the type that stores entirely on the passenger side of the windshield. This does make for quite a reach if you are driving by yourself and want to pull the shade. Initially, after seeing the ones listed on earlier posts that actually "met" in the middle of the glass, I thought that might be a better design, but then I realized that either way, you still had to reach all the way over to the passenger side to get the other 1/2. That being said, I actually prefer the one piece option because then there is nothing but one little clip on the drivers side..the rest of the shade is stored on the passenger side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ordered one of the Eclipse shades to try out in my Jeep, so I guess I will be able to report back whether I prefer that one or the one we have in the Enclave.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I received the Eclipse brand shade for my Jeep and was able to compare it to "The Shade" that I had used in the Enclave. And the winner is . . . well . . . hmmmm.

The Shade is far superior when it is open. There is nothing obstructing the drivers vision but a nearly invisible little plastic clip. By comparison, when the Eclipse is open, there is a big honking half-a-shade in the driver's line of sight.

When closed, the edge goes to the Eclipse. It covers more of the window and is able to go behind the rear-view mirror. By comparison, The Shade goes in front of the mirror and had a bow to it that leaves a gap toward the top of the windshield. However, by flipping down the sun visors, most of that gap can be covered.

See photos below.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts