EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've the front CV Axles going bad on my 2009 Buick Enclave, FWD. Any recommendation on which replacement CV Axle brand to choose?
AC Delco and GM are very expensive, upwards of $230 each on Rock Auto
Other Brands listed are Cardone, APWI, GSP and Surtrack/Trakmotive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would spend the extra and get the AC delco/GM , the others are rebuilt with chinese junk parts or new chinese junk axles right out of the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a quote at the dealer for around $700 to install one half shaft using factory parts. Did it with non factory parts at an independent mechanic for $300. 7k on the replace half shaft and everything is a ok.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought you were doing it yourself. When I do axles, brakes, steering racks, (like I did this spring) important safety issue parts I try never to use cheap chinesium. I don’t want the parts failing and causing a disaster. In addition I don’t like to have to redo a job because an axle joint for instance comes apart after 5k miles and I definitely don’t want to have to put another steering rack in the enclave.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the mileage on your E? And how long do you plan to keep it? These are factors that also play into your decision I would hope. Personally I'd be putting on the Cardone, they have a lifetime warranty, and the work to me isn't that hard. You have to think the originals are failing, how long have they lasted? I have used Cardone in the past and didn't have any issues for 50,000 miles (80K kms), but that is longer than I usually keep a vehicle (I "change it up" frequently) $40/axle vs $208(R)$235(L)/axle is huge, and the labour cost is likely less than the price difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the mileage on your E? And how long do you plan to keep it? These are factors that also play into your decision I would hope. Personally I'd be putting on the Cardone, they have a lifetime warranty, and the work to me isn't that hard. You have to think the originals are failing, how long have they lasted? I have used Cardone in the past and didn't have any issues for 50,000 miles (80K kms), but that is longer than I usually keep a vehicle (I "change it up" frequently) $40/axle vs $208(R)$235(L)/axle is huge, and the labour cost is likely less than the price difference.
my e has about 130k miles on it and most are highway miles. I plan on keeping it for 2 years or so. I too was thinking about Cardone but kind of hesitant as I don't have it failing on me anywhere on the highway. May I ask if your 50k miles on Cardone were highway or city?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would spend the extra and get the AC delco/GM , the others are rebuilt with chinese junk parts or new chinese junk axles right out of the box.
Agreed! If I were planning to keep this vehicle longer I would have put AC delco/GM. But I'm planning to phase it out in about 2 years. And I don't want to spend $500 on it for 2 years. I already changed the entire suspension last year with Moog and it cost me around 2k with new front brakes and rotors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a quote at the dealer for around $700 to install one half shaft using factory parts. Did it with non factory parts at an independent mechanic for $300. 7k on the replace half shaft and everything is a ok.
Do you know what brand they used for the parts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you were doing it yourself. When I do axles, brakes, steering racks, (like I did this spring) important safety issue parts I try never to use cheap chinesium. I don’t want the parts failing and causing a disaster. In addition I don’t like to have to redo a job because an axle joint for instance comes apart after 5k miles and I definitely don’t want to have to put another steering rack in the enclave.
I'm going to do it by myself. Currently also thinking if I should look for CV axles with low miles at a salvage yard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm going to do it by myself. Currently also thinking if I should look for CV axles with low miles at a salvage yard.

That is a good option, just make sure the cv boots are intact, not ripped, and the axle has original marking and has not already been replaced by aftermarket parts, which on a low mileage vehicle shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
my e has about 130k miles on it and most are highway miles. I plan on keeping it for 2 years or so. I too was thinking about Cardone but kind of hesitant as I don't have it failing on me anywhere on the highway. May I ask if your 50k miles on Cardone were highway or city?
Normally I drive a combo of city/highway at about 50/50, or even 60/40.

As for the used parts, yes if you can find ones that are low mileage and originals as Thejarhead has mentioned. I did that exact same thing with my starter, grabbed a low mileage (less than 40,000 miles/60K kms) off a 2016 vehicle just a couple weeks ago, and spent $45 CDN for it. My plan is also not long term with the Buick, so made complete sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel there is a lot of mis-information on "Non-OEM" parts online. For what it's worth, I've worked on vehicles for 35 plus years and have used about every brand part. Cardone and Beck Arnley for example, have been around forever. They often source parts from the actual OE suppliers, literally, as far as I can tell. I've never had issues with them.
I've also used newer "Non-Oem" suppliers like Ultra Power without issue. All made in China, decent quality and performing their function. Are there bad parts from China? Of course....too many to count. Do the research and use established companies like Cardone, Beck Arnley and you'll be good.
Edit: AC Delco most likely is, "Made in China". It just depends on the operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've the front CV Axles going bad on my 2009 Buick Enclave, FWD. Any recommendation on which replacement CV Axle brand to choose?
AC Delco and GM are very expensive, upwards of $230 each on Rock Auto
Other Brands listed are Cardone, APWI, GSP and Surtrack/Trakmotive.
What were your symptoms for failure? We have a nocking sound in the front when turning that could possibly be these. 2008 w/ 97K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What were your symptoms for failure? We have a nocking sound in the front when turning that could possibly be these. 2008 w/ 97K.
The clunking sound and clicking while turning at low speeds and vibrations in steering and suspension on the highway coming from front left. Have changed the entire front suspension with Moog Problem Solver(LH+RH Control arms+Bushing+Struts+Stab End Links), balanced all the tires and the problem still persisted. I also had the torque converter inspected but it is perfect. So now the last thing remaining and most likely cause of the problem is the CV axle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts