EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, gonna change out the drivers side cv axle in the coming weeks as the boots are torn and it might be clicking (minor). While I was inspecting, I can see a leak on the transmission housing where the axle goes in. Could someone let me know - is this a result of the faulty cv axle, or is it leaking at the housing? What is that seal or bearing called (part number would be great!)? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tried looking up part numbers for that seal, and haven't had much luck... can no one help me out on this one? Looking for the bearing or seal that goes into the transmission where the cv axle pops in. As you can see in my picture on the right side, it appears to be leaking there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try this. I believe they are called an output shaft seal. National is chinese, Timken should still be American made, SKF used to be German , but the last time I bought SKF it was chinese.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are definitely tears on the boot? If you have tears, you should definitely change the half shaft right? The factory part is pretty expensive, but aftermarket isn’t too bad.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try this. I believe they are called an output shaft seal. National is chinese, Timken should still be American made, SKF used to be German , but the last time I bought SKF it was chinese.

Thanks Thejarhead! I've seen other videos (of sister vehicles: Acadia and Traverse) that made it look more like a bearing, and wasn't sure exactly which type it was. RockAuto lists a left and a right, so I guess it should fit.

@mmecca: yes boot looks torn, and I'm hearing a clacking noise now when turning hard left. I bought a Cardone replacement shaft that I plan on replacing it with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So what's this other part all about? Some seal that goes in-between the transmission and the half shaft?

·
Registered
67 Posts
So what's this other part all about? Some seal that goes in-between the transmission and the half shaft?
The half shaft has a machined part of the shaft that slides into the transmission. When you change the axle on most front wheel drive vehicles the machined end gets inserted into the transmission. That hole that the half shaft slides through has a seal.

Those seals are usually good for many many miles. They will go bad if when replacing a half shaft you nick the seal with the machined end or you install a cheap unbalanced chinese axle available at your local auto parts store or on amazon or eBay with a lifetime warranty, usually less than $100.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For instance, I went back to the rock auto page, to cv axles.

As you can see there are a lot of axles from several different companies listed. All but 2 are less than or around a $100 . All but the acdelco axles will be rebuilt with cheap chinese parts or reground, or brand new chinese axles. (GSP) if I had to replace my axles I would go with the Acdelco. ($200 each)

About a year ago I replaced the steering rack on my wife’s enclave. I went with a brand new acdelco steering rack from rock auto, even though there were much cheaper alternatives. I really didn’t want to do the job twice in a short time period because I used a cheap part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts