EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that their leather front seats have a cloth material along the bottom seat panel located next to the center console?? I have not had a chance to look at another enclave to verify if they all come that way or if by chance mine was a fluke?

thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I can't look at mine at the moment but the wording of the brochure made me think that's a possibility - "leather appointed seating surfaces". I take that to mean the rest of the chair is vinyl, so it wouldn't surprise me if the bit you can't see was even cheaper than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
whitediamond4me said:
Has anyone noticed that their leather front seats have a cloth material along the bottom seat panel located next to the center console?? I have not had a chance to look at another enclave to verify if they all come that way or if by chance mine was a fluke?

thanx
I noticed this also, especially because mine was delivered with a grease stain on this area on the driver's seat. It really looks cheap to have done this where it is so visible, especially viewed from the passenger side. I complained about this to GM when they called me about any issues that I had with the new Enclave for there survey. :sosad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
BuicksRbetter said:
I bet this is so it doesn't rub and squeak against the console. There has to be a good reason.
You've got it Buicksrbetter. :thumb: It's called "Quiet Tuning". No one wants their 'Clave making "farting" sounds while your driving. :fart:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
BuicksRbetter said:
I bet this is so it doesn't rub and squeak against the console. There has to be a good reason.
You've got it right - leather or vinyl will potentially squeak against the console. I work for an OEM seat supplier; it's called BSR (buzz/squeak/rattle).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Also notice that they describe the leather feature as "leather seating surfaces" or something like that. Translates to leather where your body normally touches the seat, but vinyl or clothe elsewhere (seat backs, armrests too I think, etc.). Very nice looking/feeling vinyl, but vinyl none the less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
This is true across the board even when you buy a leather recliner for instance, the leather is generally on everywhere you touch, but the back and sides are often vinyl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
BadAV said:
You've got it right - leather or vinyl will potentially squeak against the console. I work for an OEM seat supplier; it's called BSR (buzz/squeak/rattle).
Exactly :thumb:

This has been a comment made by people buying new Buick Lucernes, Cadillac DTS's, and the like as well...but few seem to THINK why the cloth would be where it is. Having seen other luxury cars with a similar setup before, it was pretty clear to me--and the first time I saw a Lucerne with leather, and the cloth inner side panel, I thought "AH! They really did put some thought into this."

As for the leather "surfaces", just about every vehicle you find with leather now is the same way, with it on the top surfaces and matching vinyl everywhere else. You only typically touch that one face, and this both saves cost (and cows, by the way...), and is a benefit for wear and tear, as the vinyl doesn't really need any cleaning/conditioning regularly like the leather.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
The third row is vinyl, as it is in most 3-row vehicles. It's hard to tell the difference.
Either good vinyl, or bad leather? ???
Either way, the quality of the upholstery is top notch.
;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Either way, the quality of the upholstery is top notch.
;D
The seats are made by Bridgewater Interiors, which is a joint venture with JCI (Johnson Controls, Inc.). I've got a good friend who works in the plant. He's promised he will make sure my seats get extra attention when I give him the VIN number. ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,065 Posts
Tell your good friend at BI :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Exactly :thumb:

This has been a comment made by people buying new Buick Lucernes, Cadillac DTS's, and the like as well...but few seem to THINK why the cloth would be where it is. Having seen other luxury cars with a similar setup before, it was pretty clear to me--and the first time I saw a Lucerne with leather, and the cloth inner side panel, I thought "AH! They really did put some thought into this."

As for the leather "surfaces", just about every vehicle you find with leather now is the same way, with it on the top surfaces and matching vinyl everywhere else. You only typically touch that one face, and this both saves cost (and cows, by the way...), and is a benefit for wear and tear, as the vinyl doesn't really need any cleaning/conditioning regularly like the leather.
You're right but, I bought the First year STS with the Hot North Star Engine, and I guess GM was trying to prove They Still Could, but the Seats was full Leather.....even the Pocket on the rear of the two front seats was Leather. I thought that was odd, but I haven't seen that since. I'm sure cost played a role.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
rocketman said:
You're right but, I bought the First year STS with the Hot North Star Engine, and I guess GM was trying to prove They Still Could, but the Seats was full Leather.....even the Pocket on the rear of the two front seats was Leather. I thought that was odd, but I haven't seen that since. I'm sure cost played a role.
The relative comment is first year. A first year vehicle will have "Cadillac" seats in it with all the bells and whistles. Then the decontenting and cheapening of materials starts (just like on the rest of the vehicle) in order to meet the cost reduction targets set by the OEMs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Exactly, many luxury vehicles do get leather EVERYWHERE (including dash & doors in many cases), but that's not overly typical, and especially not as you go down the price ladder.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top