EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
kidsenclave said:
That is great news on the one hand, hope you get great new neighbors. On the other hand, the negative part is the low selling price that will affect your area's overall home values. This is what has me hopping mad with all the foreclosures in our neighborhood and surrounding areas, it has made our home value tank. Good news, taxes are down, but it sickens me that we paid $121k in 2000, have put about $40k in updates since, but our assessed value now is $108,600. :angryfire:

But beside all that, I'm really happy to hear those neighbors of yours are gone. It can only be better than that with the new people, I would surely hope!

Thanks for the update.
Probably although it isn't the first house which sold under foreclosure on the street. One 3 doors to our east did at least 12 years ago. All the homes on the street are well kept and now with this one, hopes are high that the new owners will make some improvements.

So far the appraisal of our home is still consistently higher than what we paid for it back in 1995.

TSS said:
So happy for you. About time!

Todd
Thank you!!! It has been a long drawn out process.

This August will mark 19 years since we moved into this house. Now with, hopefully sane new neighbors (lol okay at least as sane as me) we can finally see the light at the end of that long long tunnel.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It has been an interesting several days since the "house of felons" SOLD!

I have met the new owners Father, a really nice gentleman who move here from Greece when he was 17. I peg him at my age, not needing a "cane" to get around.

He came over earlier this past week to introduce himself when I was out side talking with our land LAWNcare company. Then he dropped over Thursday just to say "hello".

They have accomplished a lot, considering what information I just heard this past week as well. The inside of that house, 3000+ sq feet was TOTALLY FULL of crap/trash/junk/furniture/clothes and even the urn with the old lady's late husband's ashes.

Friday and yesterday I noticed at least 4 LARGE dump trucks FILLED to the top with items being taken to the dump. Then the Salvation Army came by late Friday afternoon to pick up some items worth donating.

The owner's son who is shown as the purchaser also works at WPAFB, not sure what part. His Father said that once my husband returns we will have to get together and chat. I think that would be good to get to know our new neighbor.

All the neighbors on this street are looking forward to having people who are not "felons" living in that house.

I know that I sure as **** am....but...still plan on keeping the security cameras up and running....just in case the pesky "felons" decide to do a drive by on our street some day.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Nice to hear Sail. Seems that there are those who just can not take the pressures of "normal" living, and just give up trying. Sounds like that way if they left all that stuff including the urn. :sosad: Of course we don't know what all the ins and outs of those people who occupied the residence before, but based on all your past reports, those folks had/have been on the wrong side of the tracks for a long while. One can only hope and pray they get the help they need. I always wonder at what point a preson's life goes south, and in some cases when it will ever turn around.

It's nice to hear you and your neighborhood will be free from the negative effects of that family. Regardless of how they got to the point where they were/are, they still were breaking the law and causing harm to your neighborhood.

Have peace in knowing, according to your first impressions, that the new people in that house will be enjoyable neighbors, and possibly new friends to you and others for years to come. Thanks for the encouraging update to this thread. Happy endings are always good to hear about.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Good luck with the new neighbors. Hopefully the felons won't have enough free time to screw around in your neighborhood again.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Best of luck Sailfish.................
Your property value just went up .............A LOT!

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Best of luck Sailfish.................
Your property value just went up .............A LOT!
Actually down, until the next house sells. I made mention of this in a post above. Foreclosures have an impact on surrounding home values. However, you are right in a sense, because now the area is better, so more people would be interested where there are good neighbors. But wait.....having Sailfish for a neighbor trumps a bunch of bad seeds.....right? ;). Hey, in a weird mood, it's my b-day today, and have had a few beers in the middle of the day......woohoo! :beer: Lol....hope this doesn't derail the thread..but I think Sail will forgive me. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Happy Birthday kids!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Awww...Happy Birthday Kids!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I know of 2 neighbors who will be selling. One is putting their house on the market this summer. Her husband just had cancerous tumors removed and they are downsizing and moving up to Indian Lake. Selling their motor home and his business as well.

Then the other neighbor, my friend, will be selling within the next year. Or possibly sooner, if she finds a smaller ranch in Kettering. Her husband passed away 2 and a half years ago.

Depending on the selling price of these two houses will determine if our property value holds up.

Although since we are considering remaining for the long term will have no impact on us.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
zman said:
Happy Birthday kids!
Sailfish said:
Awww...Happy Birthday Kids!!!!
Thanks! Pretty good, regardless of the weather being gloomy. :p. Went to the mall with my wife to buy a couple dress shirts and ties. Lunch out just the two of us, and I had 4 beers. Then came home....waited for daughters to get home from school, then went out to dinner....one more beer...lol. Stopped at grocery store while wife and daughters went in and picked out cake. Now waiting till neighbors come over for some of that cake. All in all, good day. 43 for me today, still not feeling middle age quite yet. :binky:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Happy BDAY! Wait...what do you need dress shirts and ties for? Getting back into the work force - or just church, etc?

p.s. my invitation for coming over for cake must have been lost in the mail, right?

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
TSS said:
Happy BDAY! Wait...what do you need dress shirts and ties for? Getting back into the work force - or just church, etc?

p.s. my invitation for coming over for cake must have been lost in the mail, right?
:happy: Thanks. I was just thinking that we said once the weather got nice, we'd meet for a beer, or something. But now the snow is back! Temporarily hopefully. Dress shirts....not for work. I have an alumni jazz band concert towards the end of this month at Ferris. (Play Trombone). I wanted a new shirt for it....ended up getting 2 shirts/2 ties....the way it goes. Got the music in the mail and started practicing. Youtube is a wonderful thing, really neat to pull up the songs and play with them.

Here is a video of us a few years back. I have a solo at 4:09 on the video (second trombone solo, I have the dark suit jacket on):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N74gJe8el_E

(Sorry Sailfish....your thread is going in all different directions...oops!) :hijacked:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
:cheers: :happy: Kids....you should know by now that I never have a problem if any of my threads get off track!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Actually down, until the next house sells. I made mention of this in a post above. Foreclosures have an impact on surrounding home values. However, you are right in a sense, because now the area is better, so more people would be interested where there are good neighbors. But wait.....having Sailfish for a neighbor trumps a bunch of bad seeds.....right? ;). Hey, in a weird mood, it's my b-day today, and have had a few beers in the middle of the day......woohoo! :beer: Lol....hope this doesn't derail the thread..but I think Sail will forgive me. :cheers:
OK, you are right, short term down, but I am looking at it in the long term.
Once the "problem" is gone, there is great potential for increased value.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
MRBUICK said:
OK, you are right, short term down, but I am looking at it in the long term.
Once the "problem" is gone, there is great potential for increased value.
Correct. Guess I'm just stuck being upset over all the foreclosurs in my area that have tanked our home values. Sure, not moving now....but it's just bothersome that other people's financial woes on their house, causing them to bail, then affects us. But guess it's welcome to reality time for me....no news to many who have had something at some point that has cost them money that has not been their doing. Guess I should quit my belly aching and realize we are far better off than most. Goal; to get our house paid off by 2017. That will be 17 years of paying on a 30 year mortgage. If we can accomplish that, we at least will own our home free and clear. We don't live in a big house, very modest, but it's home. Again, depends on perspective. To some, our house is small and not exciting at all. To others, it's great.....and recently I have been learning more about a friend who is literaly stone cold broke. I won't go into details, but I have learned to appreciate what we have more than ever before.

Anyhoo....not to derail the thread yet again..... ::). Thanks again for the birthday wishes folks, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Correct. Guess I'm just stuck being upset over all the foreclosurs in my area that have tanked our home values. Sure, not moving now....but it's just bothersome that other people's financial woes on their house, causing them to bail, then affects us. But guess it's welcome to reality time for me....no news to many who have had something at some point that has cost them money that has not been their doing. Guess I should quit my belly aching and realize we are far better off than most. Goal; to get our house paid off by 2017. That will be 17 years of paying on a 30 year mortgage. If we can accomplish that, we at least will own our home free and clear. We don't live in a big house, very modest, but it's home. Again, depends on perspective. To some, our house is small and not exciting at all. To others, it's great.....and recently I have been learning more about a friend who is literaly stone cold broke. I won't go into details, but I have learned to appreciate what we have more than ever before.

Anyhoo....not to derail the thread yet again..... ::). Thanks again for the birthday wishes folks, appreciate it.
Fortunately, we have been mostly free from foreclosures in my immediate area, and we did not suffer the massive declines in value that other areas of the country have faced. (down, yes, but have mostly rebounded) We are on a direct rail line to New York City, so we get many NY commuters. $500-$800K is still cheaper than many areas of NYC.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts
About this Discussion
155 Replies
16 Participants
Marin
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing