EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is now driving my 04 gmc sierra around town because she is scared of being stranded again in our month and a half old buick enclave. It was fine until after about 3000 miles when we had our first oil change done at the local dealer. The first time it happened was in our garage adn she told me the hatch wouldn't open, I found a dead battery. I charged it for 3 hours and then let it idle for about half an hour then my wife went to work. About 8:00pm that night she called and I had to pack up two kids and go give her a jump start. The Buick was fine for about 3 or 4 days then we found it dead in the garage again. I trickle charged the battery for about 16 hours then started it and everything was ok. The car sat for about 12 hours and my wife started it to go to work and everything was fine, The volt meter read about 12.6 volts before starting which is good, she went to work on a night shift(12 hours).Needless to say when she got in to come home the battery was dead :banghead:. I took it in to the dealer and they had it for a whole day and said they couldn't find any drain on the battery. Now my wife is scared to drive our brand new vehicle because she may or may not get stranded.

·
Registered
333 Posts
enclavedhf said:
My wife is now driving my 04 gmc sierra around town because she is scared of being stranded again in our month and a half old buick enclave. It was fine until after about 3000 miles when we had our first oil change done at the local dealer. The first time it happened was in our garage adn she told me the hatch wouldn't open, I found a dead battery. I charged it for 3 hours and then let it idle for about half an hour then my wife went to work. About 8:00pm that night she called and I had to pack up two kids and go give her a jump start. The Buick was fine for about 3 or 4 days then we found it dead in the garage again. I trickle charged the battery for about 16 hours then started it and everything was ok. The car sat for about 12 hours and my wife started it to go to work and everything was fine, The volt meter read about 12.6 volts before starting which is good, she went to work on a night shift(12 hours).Needless to say when she got in to come home the battery was dead :banghead:. I took it in to the dealer and they had it for a whole day and said they couldn't find any drain on the battery. Now my wife is scared to drive our brand new vehicle because she may or may not get stranded.
Check out the Acadia forum, they have had a multitude of problems with intermittent drains on the battery such as washer fluid heater, back-up system, air bag and others. As I'm sure you're aware, intermittent problems can be a big headache because the vehicle will always work perfectly when a mechanic is nearby.

The other thing is that once a starting battery goes dead, imho, it should be replaced. Even 1 deep cycle in those type batteries can render them useless over time.

Good Luck finding the culpret!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here are a few of my newest purchases from Amazon..

Schumacher SSC-1000A Automatic Speed Battery Charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IBJE4

BatteryBug - Battery Failure Warning System
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NV7OBE

What you need out there in WY is a jump start pack to carry in the car until this gets resolved..

Black & Decker VEC026BD Electromate 400 Jump Starter and Inflator
http://www.amazon.com/Decker-VEC026BD-Electromate-Starter-Inflator/dp/B000EJS9IM/

Until I have my Enclave and have tried them, I can't endorse them. I will report on them once I get them installed and try them out..

·
Registered
405 Posts
You need to utilize your Roadside Assistance even if you are home and/or able to handle the issue yourself, AND you need to bring it to the dealer after each episode occurs. Wyoming Lemon law says three trips in the first year for the same problem without it being fixed...You would have had a case by now if you had done this. And let the dealer know you are considering filing under lemon law. For now, I would also insist on a new battery.

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/WY_lemonlaw2.html

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
that vehicle would be in the shop everytime something happened, if not you are doing an injustice to yourself because you are letting them get off scott free on a warranty!

·
Registered
107 Posts
they should have replaced the battery...........

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Clave Man said:
Here are a few of my newest purchases from Amazon..

Schumacher SSC-1000A Automatic Speed Battery Charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IBJE4

BatteryBug - Battery Failure Warning System
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NV7OBE

What you need out there in WY is a jump start pack to carry in the car until this gets resolved..

Black & Decker VEC026BD Electromate 400 Jump Starter and Inflator
http://www.amazon.com/Decker-VEC026BD-Electromate-Starter-Inflator/dp/B000EJS9IM/

Until I have my Enclave and have tried them, I can't endorse them. I will report on them once I get them installed and try them out..
My Avalanche sometimes sits in the garage for a month without being started. It runs the battery down in a couple of weeks (an Optima Red Top) so I purchased a Battery Tender Plus. It's a "smart" trickle charger that monitors battery charge status and recharges as needed. It works great and I don't have to worry about a dead battery any more. It's definitely NOT the answer for this situation but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents' worth in there with Clave Man's. Sorry for the slight :hijacked:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was between a rock and hard place with this one because I had an aftermarket head rest dvd system installed by an audio staore and a Pioneer Avic Z2 nav system. So when I went to the dealer they pointed their finger at the pioneer and dvd system, gave a token effort to see what was draining the battery and said "sorry". so I went back to the audio store( small store with an installer having 12+ years experience) had them un hook all the aftermarket stuff and put the factory head unit back in and check battery drain with a shunt(very accurate). The enclave still showed 2.7-3.7 amps of drain 9 minutes after car was shut off and continued this rate of drain for 4+ hours. Audio tech then called my service tech and talked with him. My service tech called me and then asked how soon he could get the Enclave in?? I know about all the threads on Acadia and Outlook forums about dead batteries, but the dealer said there weren't any TSB's or Recalls for my VIN. I will post when I know what was wrong. Enclave at dealer now. :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
GM has issues with BCM's/PCM's not shutting down properly and draining batteries. Corvettes are notorious for this; a month sitting without starting and the battery was drained.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
enclavedhf said:
I was between a rock and hard place with this one because I had an aftermarket head rest dvd system installed by an audio staore and a Pioneer Avic Z2 nav system. So when I went to the dealer they pointed their finger at the pioneer and dvd system, gave a token effort to see what was draining the battery and said "sorry". so I went back to the audio store( small store with an installer having 12+ years experience) had them un hook all the aftermarket stuff and put the factory head unit back in and check battery drain with a shunt(very accurate). The enclave still showed 2.7-3.7 amps of drain 9 minutes after car was shut off and continued this rate of drain for 4+ hours. Audio tech then called my service tech and talked with him. My service tech called me and then asked how soon he could get the Enclave in?? I know about all the threads on Acadia and Outlook forums about dead batteries, but the dealer said there weren't any TSB's or Recalls for my VIN. I will post when I know what was wrong. Enclave at dealer now. :banghead: :banghead:
Just a POI.......I used to install auto alarms and this is always a concern. Allowable limits for drain in a parked auto are about 75-150 milliamps MAX! (thousandths of an Amp) That's about 15-20 times less than what you lose. Most autos, with average equipment drain, winter temps, and a fairly new battery, last safely, about 10-15 days w/o a jump needed! A lot longer in w/summer temps, as freezing temps are merciless on batteries.

3 amps draw is absurd. Each overhead dome/door lite uses about 1 amp. You have the rough equivalent of leaving the door open, at nite and the "shut-off, Battery saver" feature NOT working. Should be easy to find if it's not very intermittent.

·
Registered
344 Posts
BadAV said:
GM has issues with BCM's/PCM's not shutting down properly and draining batteries. Corvettes are notorious for this; a month sitting without starting and the battery was drained.
"BCM's/PCM's" ???? We all love acronyms but I'm stumped on these. ???

By the way, anyone notice this thread "Dead Battery" and it so happens at the beginning there is an advertisement for a portable battery charger? Very clever...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Body control module and power control module.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Halle's mom said:
"BCM's/PCM's" ???? We all love acronyms but I'm stumped on these. ???

By the way, anyone notice this thread "Dead Battery" and it so happens at the beginning there is an advertisement for a portable battery charger? Very clever...
Yeah. That battery charger caught my eye also. Looks like the one I carry around. It's the size of a cigarette carton and can start you in about 5-10 minutes! Radio Shack among others carries it for $35! Just recharges itself if you plug it in the car's power outlet for a long drive :thumb:

here's the one that advertises on our forum:

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148 $29!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer called last night and he has a 3-4 amp drain but hasn't found the culprit yet. The factory head unit is back in and the headrest dvd players and overhead are still hooked up. GM tech said neither of these are the culprit. I would bet we are going to see more of this problem as time goes on, and hopefully it won't take GM too long to address the problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Keep us posted! What could be draining it and how hard would it be to find?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I assume he checked the heated washer fluid module first (if you have one), since that was causing the Acadia to drain.

·
Registered
405 Posts
And this was someone elses Acadia battery problem, but you don't have the backup camera, so maybe the other one:

1) The Aux A/C relay would stay on intermittently. They replaced the relay and reprogrammed the electronics for the climate contorls
2) The back up system was staying on, wheather that means the camera or the lighting circuit was active is unclear.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
18 years ago, when I was a tech 2nd class, on auto alarms, we hooked up the amp meter to the battery, pulled one relay or fuse at a time, when the meter dropped to 25-50 milliamps, we found the problem circuit! then we put all the fuses back and unplugged each item on that circuit till the meter dropped again! took and hour or 2 at most.

This assumes the short/drain is fairly consistent! If it's there on Wed, gone on Thurs.....that's tough. Again, unless I missed it, did they change the battery????? Just give you a loaner at least!?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pulled the heated washer fluid fuse after the first time. My service tech is the shop manager so I think he knows what to do. He said the pulling fuse idea didn't work because the fuse supplying the circuit with power doesn't feed the controls to that circuit. I am an electronic tech but didn't want to dive into a new vehicle under waranty. I appreciate everyones advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
enclavedhf said:
I pulled the heated washer fluid fuse after the first time. My service tech is the shop manager so I think he knows what to do. He said the pulling fuse idea didn't work because the fuse supplying the circuit with power doesn't feed the controls to that circuit. I am an electronic tech but didn't want to dive into a new vehicle under waranty. I appreciate everyones advice.
Thanks
No problem :thumb: But did they change the battery?? A battery can 'load-test" good but have intermittent shorted cell! Quite common. Easy to rule out when nothing else quickly found.

PS.....I owned a 1998 GTP also, in white! We loved it and only sold to upgrade to an SUV for more room! The one issue we had was from day one. The rear springs on the GTP package were so weak (different than stock Grand Prix, in order to get the lower ride/handling height we were told!) that I couldn't carry a passenger back there without bottoming out, on every toothpick lying in the road!! On day 12 they put in rear shocks from a Bonneville or stock Grandprix (can't recall which) and it made a 75% difference! Ride height rear went up VERY little :thumb: Satisfied.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts