EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 13 Enclave AWD with 47,500 miles posted the ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK message within moments of starting it this morning. My wife got it to the end of the neighborhood, but noticed a dramatic loss of power and drove it home. (She took it on a 350 road trip yesterday with no issues.) We were in a hurry so I restarted the vehicle, notice the same issues she had and left it in the driveway with a plan to limp it to the dealership this afternoon.

This afternoon, though, the vehicle would barely start, and sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders instead of six. It would only run a few seconds before stalling.

Buick Roadside Assistance just had it towed to the dealership. Its after hours, so I won't know any more until tomorrow.

I've seen on this forum and others several references to the reduced power service traction control and stabilitrak messages, but none with the inability to run problem. They also seemed to occur on somewhat older models, though my search was just cursory. Almost all of them mentioned a throttle body problem, so I assume the error message is not indicative of the actual problem. Anyone have a similar experience and outcome they can share?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sounds like a throttle body problem. If it is that, it may be covered under the special extended coverage for the throttle body. Please keep us updated. You can find those messages appear on a lot of posts in these forums and it can be caused by several items. Some posters will suggest that an engine code must be set for those messages to appear, but I had them without the CEL. Is the check engine light lit? Good luck.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Any rodents around you?
for some reason I thought chewed wires...

since it ran fine and now its pretty much dead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
electbc said:
Sounds like a throttle body problem. If it is that, it may be covered under the special extended coverage for the throttle body. Please keep up updated. You can find those messages appear on a lot of posts in these forums and it can be caused by several items. Some posters will suggest that an engine code must be set for those messages to appear, but I had them without the CEL. Is the check engine light lit? Good luck.
Yes, electbc, the check engine light was lit, as well as the traction control light, when the problem occurred.

The dealer called my wife last evening and said a part had to be ordered that would be in today. She didn't note the part, but I'll find out later today. On the plus side, and after some asking by my wife, the dealer gave her a very nice LaCrosse loaner vehicle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rbarrios said:
Any rodents around you?
for some reason I thought chewed wires...
Well, none around the house.... My wife was touring horse country near Lexington, KY the previous day. Perhaps she brought a critter home. ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The high pressure fuel pump was the culprit. The dealer replaced that and a couple of hoses to repair the problem. The vehicle seems to be running fine after the repair.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
bamalam said:
The high pressure fuel pump was the culprit. The dealer replaced that and a couple of hoses to repair the problem. The vehicle seems to be running fine after the repair.
I'm glad that the car was repaired efficiently. I think that your experience with the high pressure fuel pump failure is quite rare. I don't recall reading too many complaints about it on this forum. So, I doubt that you'll have to worry about this problem again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having the same symptoms with our 2012 with approximately 85k. Earlier this year we had the high pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty and the same issue came up again two weeks later and had to have the car towed to the dealer. They replaced it again under warranty. (no towing reimbursement or loaner car though) Then today all the warning lights came on and the vehicle was running really rough and very rich (it was smoking real bad and the exhaust smelled like unburned fuel). Will give the dealer a call tomorrow - the fun thing is we are leaving for a 1500 mile road trip soon and not feeling very confident. We bought the car new February 2012 and have not had any issues until this year.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
:welcome: dad of 5! Since reading your post, that high pressure fuel pump being replaced twice, tends to make me feel that there is something else causing two pumps to fail like that. The dealer should dig deeper to figure that other faulty part or system out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 09 enclave that just rolled over 100k is currently experiencing the same problem it was pulling 5 codes I had them reset and when they came back I took it in to get checked again.
the code pulling now is for o2 sensor in one of the cylinders.
I am not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I am wondering if this could be a fix for anyone else having this issue.
I was also told a possible fuel pump issue originally but since it happens under different conditions. Like long distance driving, going up hill or accelerating fast. sometimes just starting it will do it or turning on air conditioner. random. and not every time i drive. I am hoping to hear if anyone else has had to replace these things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Pressure Pump has to be replace - stabilitrack turns itself off/traction control

I had the same problem yesterday 2012 Buick Enclave (107,000) miles. Replacing fuel pressure sensor, all 6 spark plugs which had already been replaced under normal service 6 MONTHS AGO!!!! Call Buick coporate - we have no record of these complaints - blah blah blah - we will start a CASe and you will get a call in 2-3 days.

I told them I will be sure to tell everyone I know Dont buy an ENCLAVE. Check internet for its problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 becxl

I have 2008 Buick enclave cxl with the same problem, I connect the OBD with the app in my cellphone, and the engine power reduce and stability trak, the light of check engine come out, I see the codes and delete de codes and for my surprise the engine star to working normal again, always when the problem star again delete the codes and the engine is fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So Tommy a Buick Service Tech told me he sees this all the time. This is what he told us to do. Replace throttle body, replace with a modified PCV Valve (enlarge the holes in the PCV valve, hose side to 7/64hs and the engine side both holes to 5/64ths), replace the MAP sensor. So far can't find the location for it. Where it is on older models it has a Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid. After installation and cleaning follow the learning procedure for the Throttle Idle sensor to the EMC.

1) Start engine and let idle for three minutes
After three minutes, the PCM Starts to learn the idle patterns and begins to adjust the idle speed. The engine should begin to slow down to almost normal.
2) When that happens turn off engine for one minute, then restart the engine and allow it to idle for three minutes. At the end of the second three minute cycle the idle should be normal.
3) If the engine does not idle properly after the relearn procedure, drive the vehicle above 44 mph, then decelerate and accelerate several times, allowing it to idle in between. Stop the vehicles and turn the engine off for one minute. The engine should now idle normally.
4) Clear all codes that may be appeared.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts