EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my wife an Enclave. The dealer did not have a white diamond in stock with nav, so they agreed to have it installed for me. They are telling me that the nav unit is in and so is the camera but they will not work together until the "tech 2" update is available from GM sometime later this month. Apparently this is a software update that can only be installed at the dealer, is anyone familiar with this?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
firstamericancar said:
I just bought my wife an Enclave. The dealer did not have a white diamond in stock with nav, so they agreed to have it installed for me. They are telling me that the nav unit is in and so is the camera but they will not work together until the "tech 2" update is available from GM sometime later this month. Apparently this is a software update that can only be installed at the dealer, is anyone familiar with this?
Adding NAV may entail adding a direction sensor other than ONSTAR'S. A software update/addition is likely. The car must know to power up camera when in reverse also. Little bit of work, but should work out fine :thumb:

Be sure to check Odometer readings of elapsed miles while you drive, afterwards! I had the computer re-flashed for the Tranny Upgrade (which is great!!) but the odometer showed I was driving 3 miles for every 1 mile I actually did!! Would've been out of warranty fast!! DIC panel showed I was getting 49MPG!!! I was ready to kiss the tech (yuck!) until I realized Odometer was fugazy. They corrected it easily w/ another flash! Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
firstamericancar said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The dealer is adding the factory nav and backup camera.
OK. But above still applies as truck didn't come w/ that setup. You'll be fine....but check that odometer after the computer is updated!! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, dealer installed the factory nav and it works and looks great. All functions work, but no backup cam yet. They ordered the camera, so I will keep my fingers crossed that I didnt' make the wrong decision by buying off the lot and letting them add what I wanted. :-\

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The nav was far more involved to put in than the camera will be. It just powers up in "Reverse" and shoots an image to nav Steen. No additional software/disc needed. you'll love the camera! Between Camera and mirrors, you'll see so much more of whats behind you. And it's a low light unit! Sees better than we do at nite! Very safe idea!

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: dealer FINALLY had the camera installed. The camera works great, but its an aftermarket camera and I dont like the way it looks. Anyone have a picture of the factory camera?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
firstamericancar said:
Update: dealer FINALLY had the camera installed. The camera works great, but its an aftermarket camera and I dont like the way it looks. Anyone have a picture of the factory camera?

OK. Here is mine. Hardly noticeable from behind. About a 120 Degree horizontal view, about 90 degrees vertical. We tested and you can see a person directly below the rear bumper!!! But NOT forward of rear bumper E.G....under the car, forward of the rear bumper. Hope that helps! :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Smokin' for taking the time to do that for me. I will start an album and post the pics of the camera tommorow. I need some input to see if I should complain and make them install the factory unit.
I was on the way to a dealer who had the exact Enclave I wanted, the dealer I bought from said that they could add the nav and camera if I bought the one they had. I ???did, and that's fine, but now they have had the interior dissassembled twice, once for the nav, and once for the cam- now the cam looks like I bought it at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
firstamericancar said:
Thank you Smokin' for taking the time to do that for me. I will start an album and post the pics of the camera tommorow. I need some input to see if I should complain and make them install the factory unit.
I was on the way to a dealer who had the exact Enclave I wanted, the dealer I bought from said that they could add the nav and camera if I bought the one they had. I ???did, and that's fine, but now they have had the interior dissassembled twice, once for the nav, and once for the cam- now the cam looks like I bought it at Pep Boys.
Looking for your pictures, firstamericancar! Your album is empty... :(

Smokin', can you tell me if you add an aftermarket nav. does it interfere with On-Star? Will it work the same as if it was built with it?
[/color]

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
Looking for your pictures, firstamericancar! Your album is empty... :(

Smokin', can you tell me if you add an aftermarket nav. does it interfere with On-Star? Will it work the same as if it was built with it?
[/color]
Rosita, I am not aware of any issues you would have trouble with OnStar, by adding an aftermarket Nav unit! As with all add-ons, the quality of the shop is paramount! look before you leap!

Many have the Dealer do it, because between he "accessory guy" they bring in, and their own techs, you have a better chance of it going "right". BUT, the dealer makes the difference, here too! ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rosita,

The Onstar is a totally seperate system than the nav/radio unit. That was one thing that kind of bgged me when I installed the factory nav unit into my Enclave. Onstar already gets a GPS signal, but when I installed the nav unit, I also had to install a new GPS antena.

firstamericancar, where are you with this? still no pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts