EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 50 miles on our Enclave CXL, we went to America's Tire and bought 20 x 9 wheels and Yoko 265/20 tires, we were advised by tire dealer these are within 0.51 inches in circumference to stock W/T's.

Dealer says it will void our warranty, states per GM instructions.

I see a lot of people hare running 22's , etc.

What's the truth????????

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your dealer is crazy.

They are a little upset perhaps that you didn't go through them for the wheels me thinks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
A lot of it is the extra wear and tear bigger, heavier wheels put on various brake, suspension, steering and other components, and when an issues like that pop up in warranty and are not common, first blame goes to your wheels and rightly so. Of course, you can closely match weights, etc., but that's a concern and why dealers say that.

If you only knew the number of, for example, Escalades that are brought in for warranty work day after day because something feels loose, is rattling, is grinding, etc. in the suspension...after time driving with their aftermarket 20"+ wheels that weigh insane amounts.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had the same warranty comments made when I was looking at an 18 inch winter package. The comments came directly from GM Canada Customer confusion center.

I did not want any issue and am glad I did not change them as I am having major issues with my 19's. I need 2 new tires in 5000 kms as they cannot get the road force figures down below accepted level.

Just make sure that the offsets are the same as stock, otherwise you may be building up bearing and drive shaft problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ask the dealer to put this in writing.................then research the Magnuson-Moss act.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I could see it voiding your warranty if (1) your engine/transmission computer is programmed for a different circumference, and (2) Your new wheels need a stabilizer bar and you don't get one..

In my case I was afraid of this very thing so I got the GM approved dealer installed wheels. If something goes wrong, I think it would be pretty hard for my dealer to reject me.

I think the law about accessories voiding your vehicle warranty is pretty common sense. It was put in place because (just an example) you would install an aftermarket radio and the dealer (before the law) would say "Hey we're not going to fix your transmission. You voided your warranty by installing that there radio!". On the other hand, my understanding is the law explains that if your custom radio causes an electrical short in the dash board, your warranty will be voided..

·
Registered
435 Posts
Apart from the warranty, wouldn't altering the wheel/tire size throw the speedometer/odometer out of whack?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts