EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as most of us i have had a good belt of snow. I had a problem yesterday when driving , I left home drove through a small snow bank at the end of the drive - about 350 mm onto the plowed road, no problem it got out. I then proceeded for about 6 km to the highway - again without event. Hit the highway and started to accelerated up to 100kph - well as I tried the car began to shudder, the steering wheel just about came out my hand - what the **** . Anyway after about 5 km I worked out that the wheel balance was way out and thought snow.

I stopped and right enough the wheels were filled with snow - it had packed itself into every spoke, the back of the wheel was full - I had to brush out every spoke. They are nice to look at the 19s but watch out for trapped snow.I thought it would have spun off but it was packed solid.

So if you are driving through any deep snow best check your wheels for compacted snow.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thank you for the insight. I would have no idea that was my problem if I was in snow. Now I will know.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Let us know when you get snow in Orange County, CA........... :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the insight Asgard. We don't get snow here in No.VA like up north, but it takes a long while for everything to get cleared. Many times the only way to get out of our street onto passable roads is to drive through deep snow since it takes days for the side streets to be plowed.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Asgard, do you have the standard 19" wheels, or the optional chrome wheels?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for information. So what would 19s be in the metric system? ;D

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Had the same problem yesterday. I have the 19 inch stock rims. After about 10 miles of varying speed everything returned to normal again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the standard painted wheel not chrome. The conversion from imperial to metric would be 19 x 25.4 giving you 482.6mm

It just hasn't got the same ring.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is very common with a LOT of vehicles, regardless of type and/or the wheels on them.

Snow, ice, and even dirt/rocks get packed inside, and can really throw things off kilter until they're cleaned out. It's a very frequent winter thing, especially when you have deep snow, ice, etc.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Intuitively I would think that the standard wheels might be more susceptible due to the smaller openings.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, this is surprising. I have never experienced anything like that. I've never seen this happen in all my (let's just say quite a few) years driving in winter conditions. Thanks for posting about it. At least I won't freak out if Halle starts shuddering in the snow! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts