EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I wondering if anyone has this problem. My 08 enclave doesn't shift immediately when I shift into D, it delays like over sec or so then I can feel the vehicle makes some jerking movements (which is not common for this car) then I can drive away. Beside this delay the transmission works normal like the way it should, it doesn't happen in R, only when I shift from P into D. I when to the dealer to check for this and got informed that I have to replace the TCM ( Transmission control module ). My question is, do I really have to replace the TCM ( it costs $2000 to get it done ) or do I have an alternative option for this problem? btw the transmission had been rebuilt at around 65K miles... same problems like many have ... no reverse, wave plates fail, power steering problems... It has 93K miles now and warranty expired 3 month ago. :help: :help: :help:
Quang.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unfortunately, the 6L70 / 75E have the TCM inside of the transmission (I believe), so basically, they would need to drop it and change it out...

The problem is, that this will NOT necessarily fix your problem...

MANY have reported this 1 second lag, and it is just inherent in the older transmission design...

I would definitely NOT do this fix, and would save the money for a rainy day fund, ie. if and when the transmission takes a dump...

If you are out of warranty, you can have a TCM tune put in, and they can try and 'Tune' out the lag, you can contact tuners like PCMforless dot com, they may have a transmission tune available, it can be loaded into the TCM via the diagnostic port under the dash...

This may not be the ultimate solution if there is 'truely' something wrong with the transmission, but again, I would not pay half the price of a transmission to change out the TCM, save your money for a complete rebuild...

(just my opinion)...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Qmax said:
Hi everyone, I wondering if anyone has this problem. My 08 enclave doesn't shift immediately when I shift into D, it delays like over sec or so then I can feel the vehicle makes some jerking movements (which is not common for this car) then I can drive away. Beside this delay the transmission works normal like the way it should, it doesn't happen in R, only when I shift from P into D. I when to the dealer to check for this and got informed that I have to replace the TCM ( Transmission control module ). My question is, do I really have to replace the TCM ( it costs $2000 to get it done ) or do I have an alternative option for this problem? btw the transmission had been rebuilt at around 65K miles... same problems like many have ... no reverse, wave plates fail, power steering problems... It has 93K miles now and warranty expired 3 month ago. :help: :help: :help:
Quang.
Keep us posted on your decision on the TCM, Qmax. We're available to assist in whatever ways we can (particularly in recall/warranty matters or in working with a dealership).
Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Stacy), Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Qmax said:
Quang.
Lag tuning is a MUCH better option, if possible; but throwing 2 grand into a new TCM is completely ridiculous. However, a GM Tech might present it as though your vehicle needs to have it done or it will cease to exist, and then be sucked into a black hole in space when you least expect it. :sosad:

Yes, this module is internal, sealed, and submerged in transmission fluid. The enormous cost is due to the labor time involved for removal/replacement of the transaxle from the engine itself.

I agree, if you can live with this bit of an idiosyncrasy coming from your Enclave. . . DO IT! If the transmission fails at some point, which I have no reason to believe it will, you'll be replacing the TCM along with it anyway. Why do it twice at 1.5 times the cost.

UNLESS GM Customer Service can GUARANTEE that a TCM job would go through as being under FULL WARRANTY for being so close to being out of warranty. But, you'd need to contact them first and let them run point for you on THAT one.

Those are my thoughts.

. . Falcon

·
Registered
140 Posts
Saw this figured it was relevant:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=11392.msg166908;topicseen#new

Andy_s said:
This was my quest:
i got this originally to "mr transmission", but they have not ever heard about Tech2 tool and all they offered me was to take it apart, see what the problem and put it back (diagnostic only) $3200... holly potatoes... how can they operate without tech2?
then i called GM headoffice, and they said to get it for diag to dealer, and we will take it from there...
So, sure enough, it was indeed pressure sensor in TCM (diag price a little over $100). I know exactly where it is, and how to change it, but there are 2 problems with this: 1. i still need a pressure sensor or entire TCM, and those parts does not seem to be readily available; 2. i still need to use tech2 tool after servicing this transmission (especially if i replace entire TCM).

So long story short, i've been presented with 3 options:
1. replace TCM
2. transmission overhaul service
3. transmission replacement with new

Dealer mechanic expressed his concerns with the burning smell coming out of the transmission, and recommended overhaul service... The original $ difference between 1 and 2 was $2000, and GM headoffice was nice enough to help me with in this situation, and in the end of the process (with GM's help), new transmission (option 3) came out for me a little less than overhaul service. I generally like my enclave, it drives pretty good, and it is just good for my family size. So i'd like to thank GM for their customer service and for their help in this matter!

So, in the end of the process i got a new transmission with 3y/160k warranty.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Qmax said:
Quang.
I am experiencing this same shift delay just recently... Gulp!!! :-\

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
cfedor said:
I am experiencing this same shift delay just recently... Gulp!!! :-\
Really?!? Has it been occurring regularly, or do you think that it is a temporary "glitch"?

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Really?!? Has it been occurring regularly, or do you think that it is a temporary "glitch"?
Unfortunately, regularly....

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have just recently noticed it when shifting from reverse to drive. Not necessarily park to drive.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
TSS said:
I have just recently noticed it when shifting from reverse to drive. Not necessarily park to drive.
Exactly!! :eyebrow: don't know what gives!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, coincidentally my 2009 Enclave is just experiencing this delayed engagement syndrome too! Just out of warranty by 4 months too. And I'll go over 100,000 miles in the next month. I had the transmission services and the tech noticed it, told me just to monitor it and come in if it gets worse. Jumped right on the forums and am glad to find I'm not alone (misery loves company?), will post again if situation changes. Based on what I read here, I'll not take any new actions yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
NOT GOOD!!! My 2008 near 100k miles. Had wave plate fixed at 65k. Wonder if the ones with this delayed shift also had the transmission repaired for wave plate problem. So far after wave plate fix, the transmission has been fine. Hope others with this delayed shift problem will post their experience.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
The more feedback we get from those who've experienced this issue, the better we'll understand the reason and solution for the problem.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
SeattleWayne said:
Wow, coincidentally my 2009 Enclave is just experiencing this delayed engagement syndrome too! Just out of warranty by 4 months too. And I'll go over 100,000 miles in the next month. I had the transmission services and the tech noticed it, told me just to monitor it and come in if it gets worse. Jumped right on the forums and am glad to find I'm not alone (misery loves company?), will post again if situation changes. Based on what I read here, I'll not take any new actions yet.
Hello SeattleWayne,

We recognize you're not looking to take any action at the moment, but we regret to learn you've also encountered delayed shifting in your vehicle. If you decide to move forward and have your Buick dealership address this matter please let us know. We understand you're out of warranty, however, we'd like to reach out to them throughout the process in order to ensure all of your concerns are addressed. We're available via private message if you'd like our assistance.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
bmcnallen said:
Can anybody provide an update on this issue? Anything come of it? My '08 just started this symptom at 80k miles.
Have you ever done a drain or refill on your trans?
It may be low on fluid.
Or maybe particulates blocking passages?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Count us in to having the delay when shifting into D. It is one thing after another with this car and we thought we were finally out of the woods and then the delay started a couple days ago. Has anyone figured out the solution? Please post if you have! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
cab said:
Count us in to having the delay when shifting into D. It is one thing after another with this car and we thought we were finally out of the woods and then the delay started a couple days ago. Has anyone figured out the solution? Please post if you have! Thank you!
What year? If it is an 08 that has been repaired for a broken wave plate, most likely a sloppy rebuild. Common problem it appears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No transmission work done to date done prior to today, however, just went in for a transmission fluid exchange and the shop (that I trust) said the transmission was about to go and will need to be replaced/rebuilt and would not perform the fluid exchange. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I wish I read more about the 2008 Enclave before purchasing. This is an absolute money pit, and has potential to be such an amazing vehicle. Very unfortunate. I feel for everyone experiencing this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts