EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
what/how did they determine the trans is about to go?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Take it to the dealer as they may repair it for free if it is part of the recall.
Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Delay shifting into Drive

ENCLAVEDUDE said:
NOT GOOD!!! My 2008 near 100k miles. Had wave plate fixed at 65k. Wonder if the ones with this delayed shift also had the transmission repaired for wave plate problem. So far after wave plate fix, the transmission has been fine. Hope others with this delayed shift problem will post their experience.
08 Enclave CXL: I had the wave-plate repair a little less than 8K miles ago, and now have the delay-shifting-into-Drive problem. This afternoon, the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. Parked car for 10-15 minutes, then it ran fine. Had codes downloaded and TCM failure is logged.

The wave-plate repair is warranted for 12k miles/12 months, but only for the parts they replaced or repaired. Am I going to be covered, or am I looking at a $2000 repair?

·
Registered
968 Posts
cab said:
No transmission work done to date done prior to today, however, just went in for a transmission fluid exchange and the shop (that I trust) said the transmission was about to go and will need to be replaced/rebuilt and would not perform the fluid exchange. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I wish I read more about the 2008 Enclave before purchasing. This is an absolute money pit, and has potential to be such an amazing vehicle. Very unfortunate. I feel for everyone experiencing this.
There must be more to this story than whats posted...Shop would not perform transmission fluid exchange? What did they see and why? How many miles on the Enclave?

·
Registered
3 Posts
dzs3fz said:
There must be more to this story than whats posted...Shop would not perform transmission fluid exchange? What did they see and why? How many miles on the Enclave?
Buick dealer that did the wave-plate repair has me scheduled for drop-off next week. Said I will have to pay $120 diagnostic fee and see what they find. They have not examined the vehicle, other than reading the check-engine codes, which included the TCM code. Vehicle has 127K miles (wave-plate repair at 119 miles -- just within warranty).

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
First, :welcome: to the forum, gbrgordo! Sorry to hear of the transmission issues you have faced and/or are facing. Did you have the wave plate repair prior to a failure or after? Transmission fluid should have been done with the repair/replacement work.... odd. Don't know what to tell you. Keep us posted.

But, $120.00 diagnostic ??? :angryfire: That seems pretty steep to me. My dealer charges $90.00. and if there is any work to be done, then that gets applied to the repair costs..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, cfedor. 'Preciate it.

Transmission failed, but not with classic wave-plate failure indications. Dealer offered me two choices: 1) $1500 diagnostic fee to determine failure, then repair as needed ($1500 would *not* be applied to repair costs), or 2) $4500 R&R with rebuilt transmission without first determining failure. I rolled the dice and won: it was a wave-plate failure, so GM covered cost of repair (GM declined to replace the transmission; cheaper to repair).

First repair attempt failed before the dealer returned the car to me. Bad part (don't know which one). Required a *second* tear-down and repair. Transmission fluid flushed, drained and replaced both times.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good to hear, let's hope it lasts the life of the car.
:cheers: :blob:

Rick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I wondering if anyone has this problem. My 08 enclave doesn't shift immediately when I shift into D, it delays like over sec or so then I can feel the vehicle makes some jerking movements (which is not common for this car) then I can drive away. Beside this delay the transmission works normal like the way it should, it doesn't happen in R, only when I shift from P into D. I when to the dealer to check for this and got informed that I have to replace the TCM ( Transmission control module ). My question is, do I really have to replace the TCM ( it costs $2000 to get it done ) or do I have an alternative option for this problem? btw the transmission had been rebuilt at around 65K miles... same problems like many have ... no reverse, wave plates fail, power steering problems... It has 93K miles now and warranty expired 3 month ago. :help: :help: :help:
Quang.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I recently bought an 08 buick enclave and came across this forum. This car has been really poorly maintained with a lot of common issues, dirty intake, transmission shudder etc. One of the issues I noticed was the delay shifting into drive only. I changed transmission fluid twice with no improvement. Then the other day my CEL came on codes P0016,P0017,P0018,P0019 that pointed to the VVT oil control solenoids so I pulled them out and the screens were full of crusty burnt oil. I cleaned and tested them and put them back in. The car runs much better,but the strangest thing is the delay shifting into drive is completely gone! I don't understand in the least how or why this worked but thought it might help someone else. By the way I did not do any other work to the car at this time other than disconnect the battery. If anyone has an explanation I would like to hear it. I hope this is helpful for you guys.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts