EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the DIC turning completely off, going dark, for a half second or so while the car is in operation? As we were driving 500+ miles north over the Thanksgiving Day holiday, every 10 to 15 minutes or so the odometer/outside temperature screen would turn off for just a very short period of time. Nothing else was happening at the time other than cruising down the interstate. Am I beginning to experience the onset of a problem or is this a normal behavior for the DIC? It happens so fast, off and back on, that it is a bit hard to notice without watching closely out of the bottom of your eyes or being lucky to catch the event when checking the DIC.

The one operation I can think of that may have been happening were the headlights coming on and off with the Auto setting. It was a grey wet day. Perhaps the daylight was right at the point of causing the headlights to be either on or off. Although I'm not sure if that would cause the DIC to pulse off and on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The lights should be on if the wipers were on..I thought I have caught mine flickering occasionally too, I'll keep an eye on it!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I've noticed a flicker in the brightness of the DIC. It's related to the "twilight sentinel" feature - automatic headlights. There's a large oak tree right at the entrance to my neighborhood. If I stop under the oak tree while I wait for a green light the headlights engage and the DIC flickers. It happens early in the morning and early in the evening.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is if you were changing the cruise up or down, everytime you do that, it displays the new speed at which the cruise is set and then it blinks out when going back to the previous setting, or as someone else said the ice warning. Basically anytime anything else is displayed and it goes back to the original setting, I catch that out of the corner or rather the bottom of my eye and it appears like it was shutting off as you describe. I bet is is normal and it was one of these conditions.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johnt26 said:
The lights should be on if the wipers were on..I thought I have caught mine flickering occasionally too, I'll keep an eye on it!
I didn't realize the headlights came on with the wipers. A relationship to the headlights looks to be the best bet right now, but I'm not yet totally convinced of that.

Flicker, that's a good description of the characteristic. A very quick off and on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PAPoPo said:
was it around 32 degrees outside? If so it was probably flashing the message about ice possible drive with care.....
I did see the ice caution message for the first time during the trip north. The message never came up while I was driving, it only appeared when I started the vehicle and it remained on the display much longer than this 'flicker' I'm noticing from time to time.

The ice message made me wonder if folks living in warm southern climates get an SPF 30 warning on bright sunny days. ???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
axiama said:
I've noticed a flicker in the brightness of the DIC. It's related to the "twilight sentinel" feature - automatic headlights. There's a large oak tree right at the entrance to my neighborhood. If I stop under the oak tree while I wait for a green light the headlights engage and the DIC flickers. It happens early in the morning and early in the evening.
More evidence of a headlight/day light sensor relationship. The display doesn't change brightness when the flicker occurs that I am describing. The same display light intensity returns after the brief flicker.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bsox said:
The only other thing I can think of is if you were changing the cruise up or down, everytime you do that, it displays the new speed at which the cruise is set and then it blinks out when going back to the previous setting, or as someone else said the ice warning. Basically anytime anything else is displayed and it goes back to the original setting, I catch that out of the corner or rather the bottom of my eye and it appears like it was shutting off as you describe. I bet is is normal and it was one of these conditions.
I was doing nothing but breathing whenever I happened to notice this particular flicker. I was paying rather close attention to the DIC, as best I could, during a long 500 mile trip.

I did observe the cruise speed display changes whenever I made that adjustment. But that was not the flicker. Given the attention I was giving to the DIC, probably to the detriment of our traveling safety, I quite regularly observed the flicker and no other message or change of message took place. The normal odometer/temperature display just flickered off and back on with no DIC content change.

I'm expecting this flicker to be confirmed as normal, but I'm a bit surprised this behavior hasn't been noted in this forum by other Enclave drivers. Eventually this thread will confirm normal or send me to the shop for a diagnostic appointment.

I don't have the pleasure of driving our Enclave everyday, so my time in front of the DIC is limited mostly to long trips or the drive to church on Sundays.

I appreciate the input and suggestions. Thanks all! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Based on your last post, no I have not seen a flicker like you describe in my DIC, I have seen in on my display screen for my nav

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bsox said:
Based on your last post, no I have not seen a flicker like you describe in my DIC, I have seen in on my display screen for my nav
Thanks for the note bsox. I'm waiting with interest for Johnt26 to spend some time behind the wheel paying extra attention to the DIC. So far he is the only one that may have observed the same behavior. Given 160 odd members have looked at this thread, and yet no one has responded with a definitive, 'yes my Enclave behaves the same way', I'm beginning to believe something may not be quite right.

Perhaps a related electronic issue; At times after making a number of cruise speed adjustments with the +/- controls, the cruise control system ends up in a place where it will only adjust up and down in 2 MPH increments. Normally, +/- 1 MPH is obtained pressing the + or - controls. A couple of times after using the speed adjustments repeatedly and quickly, I get the system hung-up in this condition. If I turn the cruse control completely off or reset the speed the +/- 1 MPH normal behavior returns.

I may be seeing signs of a slightly buggy processor somewhere in my Enclave.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
bsox said:
I have noticed the same thing as you bsox. It was hard to catch at first, so I was like you...looking out of the bottom corner of my eye to see that was going on. And it sometimes changes with the ice warning. That's what we get for wanted darn computers in the car, right before our eyes! Aren't they frustrating enough at home and in the office?![/color]

·
Registered
405 Posts
OK all you engineers and car people ;D, could the RVC (Regulated Voltage Control) be causing the flickering?

From GM Environmental Features Enclave poster

"RVC
A Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) is incorporated into the design of the Buick Enclave. This unit monitors the battery and charging system in the vehicle and is capable of providing a 0.4mpg fuel economy savngs per vehicle. This equates to over 3.34 million gallons of gasoline that can be saved over the life of one model year of production."

A more detailed explanation of RVC:

http://www.genco1.com/tech_tip_details.cfm?id=161

"Regulated Voltage Control is a new dynamic control of the vehicle’s system voltage. It regulates the alternator output, based mainly on estimated battery temperature and battery state-of-charge. Since the RVC system allows changes to vehicle voltage, up or down, under various scenarios –the battery state of charge and the vehicle’s present electrical needs are two conditions taken into account – the voltmeter may fluctuate. Conventional systems usually maintain a consistent reading of 14 volts. The fluctuation of the RVC system may range between 12 and 24 volts. This is normal system operation.

There are two types of RVC systems used today – integrated RVC and stand-alone RVC (SARVC). Integrated systems use a battery current sensor to provide a body control module (BCM) the amount the battery is charging or discharging. Accurate voltage measurements are taken through the battery positive voltage and ignition 1-voltage circuits. The BCM then communicates information over serial data circuits for the ECM/PCM to directly control the alternator.

SARVC systems do not use the BCM for operation. They have an alternator battery control module mounted to the negative battery cable, to interpret battery current, voltage, and battery temperature inputs. The battery current sensor is internal to the module. This module also directly controls the alternators L – terminal duty cycle instead of the ECM/PCM.

The purpose of the RVC system is to maintain the battery state-of-charge at 80% or above and to support vehicle loads.

Both types of systems have two types of corrective actions to ensure that the battery stays at an 80% state of charge. These include up to three levels of load shed and up to three levels of idle boost operation. The basic operation of the RVC system will be covered in next months technical bulletin. The six modes of operation including the charge mode; fuel economy mode; voltage reduction mode; start up mode; windshield de-ice mode; and battery sulfation mode will be discussed in further detail."

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, I am not an engineer or car person.

I would certainly agree that 'normal' voltage changes between 12 and 24 volts could cause many electrical components to flicker. However, I would think many of the vehicles electronic components would protect themselves from varying input voltages like this with some sort of internal voltage regulator. I can't imagine a display processor would operated very well with such an input voltage variance.

But that's just a mappers opinion. I'm curious to read what the 'experts' have to say as they weight in on this possibility.

One last thought. If I own one of the few Enclaves behaving this way, isn't it most likely that I just have a bad electronic component somewhere, and that a correctly operating Enclave, RVC included, is flicker-less?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mapper said:
Has anyone else noticed the DIC turning completely off, going dark, for a half second or so while the car is in operation? As we were driving 500+ miles north over the Thanksgiving Day holiday, every 10 to 15 minutes or so the odometer/outside temperature screen would turn off for just a very short period of time. Nothing else was happening at the time other than cruising down the interstate. Am I beginning to experience the onset of a problem or is this a normal behavior for the DIC? It happens so fast, off and back on, that it is a bit hard to notice without watching closely out of the bottom of your eyes or being lucky to catch the event when checking the DIC.

The one operation I can think of that may have been happening were the headlights coming on and off with the Auto setting. It was a grey wet day. Perhaps the daylight was right at the point of causing the headlights to be either on or off. Although I'm not sure if that would cause the DIC to pulse off and on.
mine just started doing the exact same thing. mine is a 2008 cxl. anyone come up with anything.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
pmalavolti said:
mine just started doing the exact same thing. mine is a 2008 cxl. anyone come up with anything.
I haven't had any issue with my 08's display.

·
Registered
1 Posts
pmalavolti said:
My display turns off after the vehicle runs for just a few minutes. It doesn't turn back on.
It seems it only works when you start the vehicle when the engine is "cold"... any suggestions??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts