EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am IN LOVE! I could care less about any of the concerns I had before with perception, I LOVE this vehicle! My question: the one that I really liked did not have the back-up camera. Since it is a large vehicle compared to what I am used to driving, I am wondering if I should hold out until they get one in the color that I like that has all of the options??

As a second question (this is one of those that one would need a crystal ball to answer, I realize that!), am I making a mistake by holding out until fall with buying??? Will the prices be a lot higher then AND will the demand be such that I won't be able to find one? I need to save more for a downpayment and can do that with no car payments right now with what I already have.

Thanks everyone!! I hope to have my own Enclave sometime in the next year (and would love to have one TODAY)! :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have the back up camera and find it a very valuable asset.
It has a good wide view and once you are used to where the back bumper is in relation to the view it is a must.

When the roads are bad you do get a little build up on the camera lens but a quick wipe with your finger cleans that. in combination with the parking sensors you would need a very good excuse if you hit the back.

As for when to buy - do it when you can afford it and see what you like. You really need one now to be out there!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the backup sensors in the drivers confidence package and they are nice. I don't have the need for the camera itself b/c I am used to driving a minivan but I purchased some great cameras for Christmas gifts at Coscto. They were $80 complete and were easy to install. I think a few other members here have the same one. That is an option if you don't want to wait for a factory installed one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
To me, the backup camera is preference. I've never had one until now and never really needed it. It came with our Enclave because my wife likes it. I asked her why she likes it, she said it gives her reassurance. So if it will give you reassurance, go for it. Otherwise, it's just another toy. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi soccermommyabc...glad you decided to test drive one and decide for yourself if the Enclave was for you! ;)

As for the back-up camera, I suppose it would come in handy, although the sensor system works fine for me. The rear visibility is a little lean, but with proper outside rear view mirror adjustment and the rear sensors, I don't have any problems. It is a huge vehicle, but not really that long bumper to bumper. At 201.8 inches, it's just 5.3 inches longer than my '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GT at 196.5 inches.

If you don't need to buy right away, it might be advantages to hold off for awhile. It looks like interest rates may dip a little in the future, and with a slow down in the economy (not my call, but have heard a lot of talk about this recently) better deals might be available.

But I'm sounding awfully conservative for someone who waited at the dealership for them to take one off the delivery truck so I could test drive it, and drove it home the next day! ;D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the sensors in the Drivers' Confidence Package and find them more than adequate. I do not have the nav program or DVD, they would not be useful for my situation. I use my Garmin Nuvi as a navigator and find it much better than the supplied option.
If you are getting the nav built in and the dvd then the camera is icing on the cake. If not, the sensors are plenty good enough IMHO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ordered my Enclave and opted not to get the Back-up Camera. I test drove an Acadia that had the camera and felt that I could do without. Did spec vehicle out with Back-up Sensors as I had them in my Explorer and got used to them. I do tend to be more careful backing which is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would get the NAV and backup camera if I were you....just my $.02. Also, I know others like their Garmins, but having a nice clean integrated NAV unit in the dash with voice activation is so much nicer than having something "stuck on your windshield" in your beautiful, perfectly designed interior. Now if they would just unlock the **** thing when there is a sensed passenger in the front seat, it would be a WHOLE lot nicer. :banghead: Oh well, lawyers. Also, the radio, cd, xm, etc use is much cooler with the touchscreen NAV than with those tiny buttons on the standard radio. Just my opinion......if you are spending close to $40K on a car, get all the bells and whistles for a few $$ more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ccaats said:
I would get the NAV and backup camera if I were you....just my $.02. Also, I know others like their Garmins, but having a nice clean integrated NAV unit in the dash with voice activation is so much nicer than having something "stuck on your windshield" in your beautiful, perfectly designed interior. Now if they would just unlock the **** thing when there is a sensed passenger in the front seat, it would be a WHOLE lot nicer. :banghead: Oh well, lawyers. Also, the radio, cd, xm, etc use is much cooler with the touchscreen NAV than with those tiny buttons on the standard radio. Just my opinion......if you are spending close to $40K on a car, get all the bells and whistles for a few $$ more.
I totally agree with ccaats on everything said. Spend the extra and get it like you really want. It's kind of like skimping on a home you are having built. You can cahnge it later, but it's a pain in the rear. IMHO ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts
We got Ent Pkg #4. Totally love the rear camera .... gonna be like the cell phone when we first got one 17 yrs ago ... wonder how we got along without it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We first decided not to get the #4 with backup camera to save money.
Then, regretted it and tried to add it and it was too late in the build process.
I was really nervous that I would have a hard time backing up. I was going from a small compact to this big vehicle.
The back up sensors work great and I am pretty confident when I am in reverse. It does take practice.
We also purchased a garmin nuvi and love it.
I'm glad I never test drove an Enclave with the #4 package or we probably would have ordered it in the first place.

·
Registered
405 Posts
LOve my back up camera and am still happy I got it. I back out of my garage EVERY time I drive, so this gives me reassurance that there are no small toys, skateboards, bikes, or UPS packages! in the driveway. The area the camera covers is way more than ANY rear view window could visualize.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Understandably its to ones preference.....and the backup camera is cool.

I decided not to get the nav system because...

>Already purchased a Garmin Nuvi with all the bells and whistles.
>There is an advantage to having a portable device, namely it can be used in another vehicle and can easily updated without dealer involvement.
>Can by 6 $500 Nuvi's for the price of one nav system.
>Do not use the nav system often enough to make it cost effective.

Its a shame they do not offer the backup camera w/o the nav system.

Auto being built this week..........I hope.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I think sensors could do the job. But we opted for the camera and we love it. I usually drive the Enclave over the weekend since it is my wife's vehicle, come Mondays, I hate to turn my head to reverse my vehicle ;)

I say, if there is no monetary contraints then go for it, you will love it.

Sorry can't answer your second question, I did learn the hard way myself. waited a little to much and almost everyone was wanting one, so I was facing a lot of sold in transit answers from dealers.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ordered camera. Figured I would regret not getting it. This will be my first CUV. Drive a Buick Century now. I will have to get used to longer length
so camera will be helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts