EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start a new topic to see if Clave owners really know all the features it has.

Did you know:
1. You don't have to HOLD the key in ignition to start your car. Just turn the key to ignition and let go.
2. You can't crank the ignition again when the car is already started. Try it. When the car is on, turn the key to ignition and nothing will happen.

Anyone else? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
1. I don't know what you're talking. Explain please.

2. Yes I knew that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
axiama said:
1. I don't know what you're talking. Explain please.
The old way of starting a vehicle is to turn the key all the way to ignition and hold it there while the car is cranking. When you hear the engine start you let go of the key. Now you just have to turn the key all way to ignition and let go. It's instaneous but there is that difference. As the car gets older the longer it will start (if not maintained properly). This is where this feature will help - where you don't have to hold the key to the ignition mode.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
Why is that? I know it doesn't "crank" - but why doesn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another one.

Did you know there are a total of three storage compartments behinds the third row seats? There is a small storage compartment on each side of the big storage compartment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
axiama said:
Why is that? I know it doesn't "crank" - but why doesn't it?
This feature is usually found on import cars. #1 is a luxury thing. The driver shouldn't have to hold the key to ignition. You should just be able to turn a switch (turn the key to ignition) and the car should know that you want the car started. #2 is to prevent damaging the starter. If the engine is already on and you turn the ignition, it will damage the starter (that's the loud grinding sound you hear). This was also a special feature usually found only on import cars.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
When you try to start a car in cold weather it can take a while or make that harsh grinding sound until the ignition catches. Will that happen with the Enclave? BTW, thanks for the education. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Enclave will crank until the engine starts, without your help in holding the key. I'm sure there is a limited number of time it will try until it stops. For example, what if it's out of gas? It can't just keep on cranking or it'll damage the starter. Nobody knows the limit but hey, if someone wants to do the experiment, I'm all ears. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
axiama said:
When you try to start a car in cold weather it can take a while or make that harsh grinding sound until the ignition catches. Will that happen with the Enclave? BTW, thanks for the education. :)
Nothing...it just starts, regardless of if it takes an extra second or two. Flick the key, let go, and it'll fire. And there should be no extra noise, as the ignition is setup to just fire and not let any excess operation--i.e. cranking again while running, or doing it too long--from happening.

Are you used to older, decrepit vehicles that it "take a while or make that harsh grinding sound until the ignition catches"? No new vehicle would have that issue, except for maybe just cranking an extra second or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
It's about time they adopt the #1 feature...very nice indeed. :thumb: Now on the #2, my '99 Grand Prix does that...so I'm glad they combined the two.
 
G

·
this must be new to buick, my 99 suburban did that, and my fathers 98 cadillac was likethat, its still like that on the yukon. Just flick the key and it goes, if it has taken buick this long to adopt it than wow they really have gone all out on this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
My previous vehicle was a 2003 Olds Silhouette and it started the same way my Enclave does so its nothing new. Just had to turn key to start, release and it would crank until it started..
 
G

·
not sure if its the same as an enclave, but i have been in some preety cold weather about 0-12, it startes just like its 80 and the same if its 110. i think the computer automaticly chokes and primes the engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Are you used to older, decrepit vehicles that it "take a while or make that harsh grinding sound until the ignition catches"? No new vehicle would have that issue, except for maybe just cranking an extra second or two.
Mine would take an extra second for the engine to turn over, I guess you'd say. But that "harsh grinding sound until the ignition catches" ALWAYS happens in horror movies. :sosad: Seems to me there'd be alot more happy endings in movies if the actors had key fobs with remote start and a no-crank ignition like the Enclave. :cheers:

New question: Is this ignition available on all lambdas or just the Enclave?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
axiama said:
New question: Is this ignition available on all lambdas or just the Enclave?
It's on most, if not all, GM cars now. Has been for several years.

Another feature many people don't know about - rev limiter. If you turn on your car and push the gas all the way down until it hits red line, the computer will take over and drop the engine back to idle until you remove your foot from the gas. This is to prevent damage to the engine if you running the engine at too high of an RPM. I was too afraid to try it, so the dealer (when I bought my last car) got in a car and showed me. Sure enough - you can't blow the engine by over-reving the engine. (I still refuse to try it on my own car, but nice to know it is there).
 
G

·
Acropolis said:
It's on most, if not all, GM cars now. Has been for several years.

Another feature many people don't know about - rev limiter. If you turn on your car and push the gas all the way down until it hits red line, the computer will take over and drop the engine back to idle until you remove your foot from the gas. This is to prevent damage to the engine if you running the engine at too high of an RPM. I was too afraid to try it, so the dealer (when I bought my last car) got in a car and showed me. Sure enough - you can't blow the engine by over-reving the engine. (I still refuse to try it on my own car, but nice to know it is there).
that i learned by accident on my yukon, and i dont like it, i like starting the engine and having a nice big ROAR to bring it to life, it still sort of does it but not like my older suburban.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
On the turn signal selector, if you flick it once (without engaging it in the locked position), the turn signal will blink 3 times so you dont have to hold it down during lane changes. Personally I think 3 blinks are not enough, 5 would have been better to give you enough time to signal, do one last check of the blind spot and change lanes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
jerlem1 said:
On the turn signal selector, if you flick it once (without engaging it in the locked position), the turn signal will blink 3 times so you dont have to hold it down during lane changes. Personally I think 3 blinks are not enough, 5 would have been better to give you enough time to signal, do one last check of the blind spot and change lanes.
3 blinks sure isn't enough...what were they thinking? :eek:hno: And I assume that we'll get a chime if we drive for 20 miles with the signal on?
 
G

·
BuicksRbetter said:
3 blinks sure isn't enough...what were they thinking? :eek:hno: And I assume that we'll get a chime if we drive for 20 miles with the signal on?
its less then that, its like a mile, and also you can just hold it and it works, no big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
jerlem1 said:
On the turn signal selector, if you flick it once (without engaging it in the locked position), the turn signal will blink 3 times so you dont have to hold it down during lane changes. Personally I think 3 blinks are not enough, 5 would have been better to give you enough time to signal, do one last check of the blind spot and change lanes.
Oh, BTW, nice GP! :thumb: I have a '99 GTP coupe in the med gulf blue. Bought it new, and it only took a month to order. :mad: After all these years, she'll be replaced by a ming blue Enclave. It'll be a sad day when I sell it. :(
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top