EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Did you wait 500 miles in AWD to go over 55 MPH?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know if people are waiting to put the pedal to the metal or cruising along for the first 500 miles in their new Enclaves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My salesman said not to bother with the break-in recommendation, and he is very experienced.

However, I thought if GM was smart enough to build the car, I should do what they said.

It feels funny going down the Interstate at 55 mph. Lots of big trucks try to run over you.

Bill

·
Registered
167 Posts
I tried my best to go by that rule but,yes it was hard on the highways.
it's only 500 it will go by very fast.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tried to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the first 500. It was a long drive back home (600 mi). I think it was and will worth the babying. My father retired from GM and stated that it was best to follow the recommendation. He just bought a hummer and followed it's break-in recommendations. My dealer was great but he did not even know about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a pretty experienced salesman as well and he just recommended not to use the cruise control for the first 1000 miles--something about breaking in the drivetrain at a constant speed was bad. Didn't say anything about a 55 mph limit. I bought my Enclave 250 miles from home...not sure I could have had the patience for the 55 mph, but trying to drive a new vehicle without cruise control was not easy either--especially one that is so much quieter and smoother. I had about 60 local (i.e. < 55 mph) miles on it before the trip back home and varied between 60 and 70 on the way home. Hopefully I won't have any long-term issues...

·
Registered
344 Posts
docnlaw said:
Wanted to know if people are waiting to put the pedal to the metal or cruising along for the first 500 miles in their new Enclaves.
To answer your question, ... No! ;) I went over 55 on my way home from the dealership, because I live about an hour's drive from the dealership. I probably went 65 tops on my way home.

Our good friend has been a certified master mechanic for over 20 years, and now teaches auto mechanics at our local college. We called him with our concerns about this because at about 200 miles we wanted to take a road trip requiring us to go over 55 MPH. He said it will be fine, just to not keep a constant, steady speed, not to brake hard, downshift, fast starts, etc.. Not use cruise (obviously), he said you need to fluctuate your RPMs, go slow awhile, then go fast, etc. Also take short pit stops at the rest areas if you're going a real long distance. We only went a two hour drive away, so it wasn't that long a drive. It put my mind at ease getting his okay. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Halle's mom said:
just to not keep a constant, steady speed, not to brake hard, downshift, fast starts, etc.. Not use cruise (obviously), he said you need to fluctuate your RPMs, go slow awhile, then go fast, etc.
That's basically what we did also.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
No, since it had 598 miles when I got it ;D otherwise I would have.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We did same as Halle's mom and rest here. Drove 55-70 for first 500 miles, at varying speeds. No problem. But we did avoid pedal to the metal starts . They came later......... ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am pushing 400 miles and have tried really hard to keep to 55, but in Southern California, especially Orange County, it is really hard. We have speedsters on the freeway here that literally push you along. I have had a few times going 60 - 65 briefly, but have maintained the lower speed. Am I ever going to get to 500 miles? Also, this is a new model, do the salesmen really have any history on whether or not to follow the manual?

Am I to correctly understand that the heat at those speeds causes the gears to seat into each other, so keeping it at a lower speed will help the gears mesh better in the long run?? That is what someone on this forum said. I told my son, who is a journeyman deisel mech. and he said that makes sense. My dad, also, who was a mechanic for a good deal of his life said that makes sense. Does anyone have an opinion.

By the way, My dad turns 94 on Christmas Day and he just passed his drivers license test and gets to drive for 5 more years. He says he probably won't want to drive much after that. He is dying to see my new Enclave. (he's in No Cal) He is a Buick man. He and his '85 are growing old together, he says.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
We did same as Halle's mom and rest here. Drove 55-70 for first 500 miles, at varying speeds. No problem. But we did avoid pedal to the metal starts . They came later......... ;)

:ditto:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I was pretty careful with mine and tried not to do over 55. I thought I read somewhere that there is a recorder that could be used to determine if you followed the breakin period for warranty issues?? Anyway, I figure they would not suggest doing it if there wasn't a reason, they designed it after all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Happy Birthday to your Dad, Htrdrma and congratulations to him on passing his drivers license test.

·
Registered
360 Posts
iDrive said:
Happy Birthday to your Dad, Htrdrma and congratulations to him on passing his drivers license test.
I'll drink to that!! :cheers:

·
Registered
333 Posts
htrdgrma said:
Am I ever going to get to 500 miles?
He is dying to see my new Enclave. (he's in No Cal) He is a Buick man.
An idea....drive up to see Dad on the PCH, great break-in road, by the time you get there it'll have 500+ miles on it so he can thrash it!! >:D Take the cake out before he goes though. ;D

Problem solved...next?? 8)

·
Registered
743 Posts
johnt26 said:
An idea....drive up to see Dad on the PCH, great break-in road, by the time you get there it'll have 500+ miles on it so he can thrash it!! >:D Take the cake out before he goes though. ;D

Problem solved...next?? 8)
That's a beautiful drive up the Coast and an excellent way to break in a new Enclave.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thank you for the birthday felicitations and HO HO HO johnt! He lives on a country road, so I probably will let him drive it. I sent him a pic and he thinks the Enclave is a beaut.

The Coast Highway is a beautiful drive and I really want to drive up to Monterey or somewhere near there, but Dad lives off I-5 50 miles west of Mt. Shasta in a remote alpine cattle raising valley. If you get the chance, the drive north of Redding going through Shasta Cascade, Shasta Lake, Castle Crags and Mt. Shasta and then east on 89 towards Burney Falls is sheer heaven. You will follow the Pit River. It is rumored that Clint Eastwood has a big spread along there somewhere. The area is really remote and some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in California. Sorry, I just think that Northern California is so beautiful that I can't help but talk about it. :sunny: :hyper:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Didn't know we were supposed to limit ourselves to 55 mph for the first 500 miles, but 65 isn't much faster, is it? I'm now watching the speed but always try to not stick to one speed for very long. This is going to be a long 500 miles...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We did wait the entire agonizing 500 miles to go over 55 mph. I felt like I was adding to the "pokey old man" stereotype of the Buick driver! :mope:

·
Registered
743 Posts
ringmaster said:
Didn't know we were supposed to limit ourselves to 55 mph for the first 500 miles, but 65 isn't much faster, is it? I'm now watching the speed but always try to not stick to one speed for very long. This is going to be a long 500 miles...
You'd be surprised. It doesn't take that long. I don't drive very much and it seems like it didn't take any time at all to get 500 Mi. 3 Months now and I have about 850 Mi. I'm just iching to take a trip. Maybe later in the Year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts