EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Tin Man said:
I don't know if Muffin likes spicy women? He'll need to smell for himself!

TM
LolLolLolLol!! Senorita Rosita says she will teach Senor Muffin to like spice! :eek:

And he looks so much more manly without the ear bows!
[/color]

·
Registered
758 Posts
Jay said:
This is getting a little too weird, people! ::)
Little dogs do that to people!

TM

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Jay said:
This is getting a little too weird, people! ::)
:hijacked: Oh, oh Rosita, we're in trouble again... :-[

I think this is what keeps us reading every post around here. Don't want to miss anything![/color]

:eek:fftopic: Yeah, you're right...we are a bit off...[/color] :eek:fftopic:

So sorry[/color][/color]

·
Registered
410 Posts
BMW is announcing their diesel engine for the US market towards the end of '08.

More information at http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Uniquely/FutureTechnologies/EfficientDynamics/AdvancedDiesel.aspx .

Yes yes yes, it's a foreign company, and yes it's a bit high on the marketing-speak, but the PDF linked at the bottom of the page is an interesting read.

From page 2:

Today no less than 67 percent of all new BMWs delivered to customers in Europe are powered by a diesel engine.
and

developing maximum torque of 425 lb-ft at just 1,750 rpm.
So obviously this generation of diesel engines provide very high performance. It should be interesting to see how GM's compares.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Direct injection turbo-diesels have been high performance now for over a decade. The V-Motori (GM owned Italian engine maker) 2.9 liter turbo-diesel V6 that the European Cadillac CTS will get would make the most sense in a Lambda CUV with its humongous torque and 30% better fuel economy.

But that would only make sense, so therefore the American public, their legislators, and as a result the car manufacturers might not go for it. Perception rules.

TM

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just heard from our GM trainer that the 4.5 DI V8 diesel in testing now will be available in the Enclave by the 2010 model year. If you want to see how quiet and clean the new diesels are, stop by a GMC or Chevy dealer and check out the new Duramax; he had one running in the closed service drive for 15 minutes and there was no smell, fumes, soot, etc.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Tralfaz said:
Just heard from our GM trainer that the 4.5 DI V8 diesel in testing now will be available in the Enclave by the 2010 model year. If you want to see how quiet and clean the new diesels are, stop by a GMC or Chevy dealer and check out the new Duramax; he had one running in the closed service drive for 15 minutes and there was no smell, fumes, soot, etc.
Wow. If that were true, it would be great. Most diesel fans have a "wait and see" attitude when it comes to predictions or rumors, but this could be a very positive development.

It also makes some sense since the V8 would be made in Tonawanda New York, while the tooling for the 2.9 V6 is in Europe. A weak dollar doesn't help.

I'd be careful with the first couple of years production, though, since this is a completely new design, albeit with the benefit of the newest technology and expertise, which GM has from Isuzu and V. Motori in making diesels.

TM

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I believe that the long term future is brighter for diesels than hybrids.

·
Registered
758 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Yes, especially if they can figure out a way to standardize biodiesel and have the newest designs work with it. So far, only the older desings seem to be able to withstand the slightly different characteristics of biodiesel and converted waste vegetable oil. But there are plenty of folks outside and inside the auto industry working on it.

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
MRBUICK said:
I love the power and quieter/less smelly engines alot, but diesel fuel just hit $4.49 a gallon here (gasoline @ $3.89 Reg.) and it was a very mild Winter in the NE area, around here. That $.60 cents a gallon almost offsets the extra economy completely. (average 20-30% gas vs diesel) Then it's extra power VS extra $$$ , for the diesel.

I gotta see it and smell it, I guess, when it happeans...................

A battery breakthrough yielding more power to cost & range ratio would derail , it IMHO. Time will tell..........

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes, a small gasoline engine with less power may be almost as economical as what we see typically in diesels.

A smaller diesel engine's advantage over an equivalently powered (this is key) gasoline engine approaches 50-100%.

I know. My E320 CDI has 369 ft-lbs of torque. Much closer to the V8 option, the way I drive (also key), than the gasoline V6 (which takes premium BTW).

My average mpg? 31. An equivalently powered gasoline version? Lucky to even get 22. With premium.

Europeans can get small cars with 60-70 mpg. They are NOT hybrids. They are peppy, fun to drive, small engine diesels. This is why diesel is more expensive: other countries are buying up our supply. Diesels are simply better. Period. Hybrids are OK for city type use only.

Finally, the price of diesel varies at a different time than gasoline. Diesel prices stick when gasoline goes up and gasoline prices stick when diesel goes up. Currently I can still get $4.09/gallon diesel when regular unleaded is going up to $3.69/gallon at many stations. The average American will not buy a diesel vehicle because diesel costs more per gallon. It tells volumes about our poor education in Math. But there are those that know about diesel and depend on their cars, so prices for used diesel vehicles are substantially higher than equivalent gassers - as high as $8,000 more.

I am suspicious of the NothEast's pricing of diesel anyway, since it is considered "bad" for the environment. Retailers are seeing $$$ with little downside. But in Farm Country, pricing of diesel seems more fair. I don't think the usual summer price increase of gasoline will occur since at these prices, people will likely drive a lot less, while businesses that usually use diesel will continue to use it, unless we get a worldwide recession (likely).

TM

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
17 Participants
Tin Man
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing