EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: Just purchased a AWD. Planning to dinghy tow behind my motorhome. Has anyone wired into the chassis to use the factory tail lights when towing? Do you need blocking diodes? Any ideas where to tap into the wiring harness?

·
Registered
20 Posts
gfaulkner said:
:help: Just purchased a AWD. Planning to dinghy tow behind my motorhome. Has anyone wired into the chassis to use the factory tail lights when towing? Do you need blocking diodes? Any ideas where to tap into the wiring harness?
Haven't yet. Blue Ox lists a wiring kit for the Enclave. I'm planning on getting that.

joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at the BlueOx wiring kit. I seems like, based on the pictures in the instructions is that it requires that you drill a 1" hole in the tail light assemblies and install an additional bulb assembly. I am sure that this will work, but I did not want to start drilling into this plastic parts. One small mistake and you will have to replace the unit. I don't expect that these tail light units are cheap. I was hoping to install the blocking diode assemblies and use the existing lights. This is what I have done on other vehicles in the past.

I tried to request information from Buick through their WEB site but the e-mail that seemed to be addressed to [email protected] rejected and came back. :banghead: I had hoped that Buick had a detailed procedure that would outline their recommendations for wiring into the factory harness that they provide to dealers.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
gfaulkner said:
I have looked at the BlueOx wiring kit. I seems like, based on the pictures in the instructions is that it requires that you drill a 1" hole in the tail light assemblies and install an additional bulb assembly. I am sure that this will work, but I did not want to start drilling into this plastic parts. One small mistake and you will have to replace the unit. I don't expect that these tail light units are cheap. I was hoping to install the blocking diode assemblies and use the existing lights. This is what I have done on other vehicles in the past.

I tried to request information from Buick through their WEB site but the e-mail that seemed to be addressed to [email protected] rejected and came back. :banghead: I had hoped that Buick had a detailed procedure that would outline their recommendations for wiring into the factory harness that they provide to dealers.
Hi gfaulkner, I just noticed your post so you may have already done your light wiring. If you want to install blocking diodes I suggest you get diodes that are rated at least 5amp (radio shack or others sell these). There's a a bit of room behind each light so you can put them there, one in each of the tail and stop/turn circuits for each light. I used quick disconnects so if a diode burns out I can easily replace from the spares I carry. (I stopped using the Blue Ox diode block on the first towed I ever wired when I discovered the diodes Blue Ox uses are only 2amp rated... or less.) Toughest part of the job is running wires under the car from the front. :)

.. RP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts