EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2008 CXL Enclave overheated tonight and has been making a dinging sound ever since. Is this something that will turn off once the car cools off or is there something else that needs to be done to turn it off?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
the dinging sound-- you mean an audible CHIME? coming from the speakers?
could be it was chiming to get your attention to look at the instrument panel for massages about overheating.
Prob about going into limp mode (reduced power) and or to pull over to let engine idle cool..
Also if it did overheat- its possible you leaked antifreeze-- which means that the engine oil was now also serving as the primary coolant- it will have degraded and will need to be changed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just the fact it overheated means you have serious issues. I did not read the reason mentioned for overheating and if it is not known, it needs to be looked at right away, as in do not drive it.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
most likely cause is a failed water pump- seems to be a common item thats posted on the lambda forums

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Could be the water pump.

BTW, is it reasonable for a new platform to have so many trouble points: steering rack, water pump, timing chain, transmission performance, excessive engine oil wear and tear, etc.?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Trailblazers/Envoys had the water pumps, fan clutch, thermostats, coil 4 and 5, fuel pump, fuel level sender, stepper motors, ignition key/lock, etc etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Could be the water pump.

BTW, is it reasonable for a new platform to have so many trouble points: steering rack, water pump, timing chain, transmission performance, excessive engine oil wear and tear, etc.?
Is it reasonable, NO

Does it happen, All the time

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
My Subaru Tribeca is a first model year design, and the only issues have been malfunctioning door lock actuators and short lifespan front sway bar bushings. Three of the four door lock actuators were replaced under warranty when the car was around a year old. It seems that the front sway bar bushings will need to be replaced every 30,000-35,000 miles due to crappy design.

My first model year Enclave has had two failed power steering pumps, new steering rack bushings, two front driver's side seat belt casements, reactivation of the heated washer fluid unit due to recall, wiper arm recall, and a faulty steering column cap repair. I think that is everything. ::)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would think you'll find just about every car made has it's share of issues if you belong to a forum like this. The Pontiac Bonneville is known to be a great car, but they have their issues: crappy intake gasket and plastic upper intake, window regulators that break, creaking intermediate steering shaft, leaking trunk; vibration between 60-65 MPH, rust below the gas fill. Not everyone has the problems, but they become common when on the forums. Buying a new model like the Lambda is asking for more issues. Although by the 2010-11 models I would have thought things would be better.

·
Registered
469 Posts
rbarrios said:
Trailblazers/Envoys had the water pumps, fan clutch, thermostats, coil 4 and 5, fuel pump, fuel level sender, stepper motors, ignition key/lock, etc etc.
rbarrios; You know, you bring up a good point. I have a 2003 Envoy SLT. It has about every option you could get except NAV. Over the years as I saw the problems others were having I got really concerned that I was going to have the same problems, (Just like everyone here feels about the problems on the Enclave). Well, after 8 years and 59,000 miles, all that I have done to the Envoy is replace the battery (2-years ago) and the wiper blades once. Right now, I would have to say that the Envoy has been the best new car that I have ever bought no matter what brand , and I have bought quite a few. :thumb: We tend to hear the doom and gloom and we expect that it will happen to us. There are probably hundreds of cases that actually happen, but we don't consider the hundred of thousands that don't have any problems. If we all had access to the exact % of problems we might see that we have 1 in 10,000 chance of having the same problem. I guess that is not too bad of odds. :cheers:

Of course that doesn't help the ones that actually do have a problem or multiple problems. :banghead:

RCH

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Good point, RCH. If the rate of premature water pump failure were only 1%, for example, there would be little reason to expect to succumb to the problem. If it were, say 25% instead, then there wow be good reason to worry. The problem is that we really have little clue about the malfunction rates of any of the issues discussed do often on forums like ours. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
RCH said:
rbarrios; You know, you bring up a good point. I have a 2003 Envoy SLT. Well, after 8 years and 59,000 miles,
holy smokes!!! youre only at 59,000 on your 03 Envoy.
(Envoy is to Trailblazer what the Enclave is to Traverse).

Im surprissed actually- cause I have a 2003 Trailblazer- and if im not mistaken- weve passed 160,000.
The other day I looked at the ODO- and im pretty sure it said 159,9xx. In those extra 100,000 miles I have- Ive had a new water pump put in and the 3rd band clutch on the trans repaired. Thats it for repairs.
Ive changed my thermostat (set code P0128) at 111K.
and changed out a bad battery.
Everything else has just been maintenace changes- and not failures.

·
Registered
469 Posts
rbarrios said:
holy smokes!!! youre only at 59,000 on your 03 Envoy.
(Envoy is to Trailblazer what the Enclave is to Traverse).

Im surprissed actually- cause I have a 2003 Trailblazer- and if im not mistaken- weve passed 160,000.
The other day I looked at the ODO- and im pretty sure it said 159,9xx. In those extra 100,000 miles I have- Ive had a new water pump put in and the 3rd band clutch on the trans repaired. Thats it for repairs.
Ive changed my thermostat (set code P0128) at 111K.
and changed out a bad battery.
Everything else has just been maintenace changes- and not failures.
Well, we don't drive a lot any more. Fly mostly if we are going a good distance. We only have a little of 16,000 on the "Enclave" and it will be 3 years old this Sept. I actually have a 2001 Grand Am GT1 with 61,000 (I have had to put a blower motor in that one twice, takes me about 15 minutes to do). I usually will trade for a new car every 7 years or 80,000 which ever comes first. :angel:

RCH

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I never saw an actual answer to your problem. I now am having the same problem. Did you figure out how to stop the constant chiming? how so?

My wife's 2008 CXL Enclave overheated tonight and has been making a dinging sound ever since. Is this something that will turn off once the car cools off or is there something else that needs to be done to turn it off?

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
669 Posts
If all is ok with the sensor, unplug the fuse to the Engine Control Module and or the Body Control Module to see if it resets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts