EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone with dogs have calculated what they cost per month to own. NO, I'm not getting a dog, but am only curious....based on what seems to be people who can't afford things (people we know), tend to have dogs (or other animals....but I'm just asking dogs here...unless anyone wants to tell more). I asked my brother-in-law to calculate what their two big dogs cost for this whole year. I know there are SO many variables, small dog, medium dog, large dog...breed, etc, etc. Just asking. (but perhaps animal owners love their pets so much they wouldn't want to put a price on them ::))

I know someone will ask "what do your kids cost, kidsenclave?" Well, I believe some source has already done that calculation from birth to 18, and it's huge....but I think dogs would be easier to figure out.

Just talking about food, doctor vet visits, medication(s), toys. Not talking about things that would have to be replaced that they destroy, chew up, etc....only normal costs.

Hope you all have fun with this thread....hopefully you're not all mad I asked.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I know, I know - it says "dogs"... We got a "free" kitten about 4 years ago - then a second one a year later. So far, $1400 in vet and food bills.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rockyp said:
I know, I know - it says "dogs"... We got a "free" kitten about 4 years ago - then a second one a year later. So far, $1400 in vet and food bills.
That's kind of hard to figure out per month, but sounds like you keep pretty close track what your cats cost. So....$1400 total for 4 years, that's only $29 per month...and that's 2 cats for 3 of the 4 years, if I'm reading that right.

·
Registered
308 Posts
We had a Yellow Lab for 8yrs (he got sick this past Oct and we had to say goodbye :( :'( it was'nt easy) and he was about 90lbs, according to the Vet it was 10/12 lbs too many, anyway his food for the month was around $30.00, shots/checkup for the year maybe $100.00 ???. He got stung by yellow jackets this past summer, that was another $100.00 ::), for the final Vet visit/burial was $90.00, you have to set aside $$ for stuff like that :sosad:. So to sum it up I would say for a big dog $500.00 to $600.00 is not out of the question.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
my 1st dog...
German Shepherd. Great dog- but had mild allergies, ear infections etc. then broke a leg. would have been about a $1000 but she managed to lick off her staples and well infection set in etc... and after all was said and done- I think this broken leg- meds- multiple visits- screws- plate etc- cost me a good $3000-$4000.
Some years later- she got a huge ball on the side of her face--- had to be surgically removed. more $$.

Now I have a 2nd shepherd--- which has not had any type of problems. no allergies. no broken legs- no nothing.....
Though they do get their monthly heart heart worm pills etc.

Our 3rd dog--- a small cocker spaniel mix.... hes not doing good.
Hes always had a heart murmur.
The other day he was caughing at night. then yelped-- I got up at 3am to see what was wrong--- he was laying on the floor- in a puddle of his own urine.
Vet visit-- and he had a heartbeat of 283!!!
Diagnosis---Supraventricular tachycardia.
Hes about 12.
they said we can do imaging of the heart- this and that...
Ive been reading online-- and it sounds like Congestive Heart Failure.... one of the symptoms is caughing. the lungs accumulating fluid. His heart is also a little enlarged. And well the irregular heartbeat- causes issues- and well- It doesnt look good.
At his age-- well just give him quality of life- vs dr visits....

So- it adds up.
Then again- my eldest shepherd- she was my Running buddy. We even ran several 5 and 10k races....
the younger Shepherd is now my running buddy..
You sort of have to thank them for tagging along... I mean they go running with you at 5 am--- when your other buddies say--- Yeah right...

food cost....2 weeks ago- bought the 3 dogs their food...
$190 for 3 bags.
The older shepherd- gets large breed senior.
the younger get large breed.
the cocker spaniel mix--- gets a special diet due to crystals in the urine... that prescription bag of food (and canned food) is the most expensive at about $80..... add tax etc.. and you have about $190.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow rbarrios, lots of information! Guess it's too hard to ask just how much they cost per month, or at least hard to break it down. Also, it's so broad based on what issues the dogs have, like yours....wow, it can get expensive. I can not begin to understand the love people have for their pets, because I've not had one (as an adult). My wife and I have made the decision not to have any, but not just for cost reasons...there are others. I know some people who could not live without a pet, and others who say they are not getting another one, once theirs is gone.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I can figure on the monthly cost for our dogs Jake and Elwood yet there are also extrodinary instances.

Take Mikey, the Sheltie we had before the "Blues Brothers". Probably 35 dollars a month in food and then treats...maybe an additional 15. Yet at the end, a month after his yearly checkup/shots, which we NEVER got out of the vet for less than 250, he became really sick. Took him to the vet they kept him for a couple days, blood work and x-rays and they could not determine what was wrong. That was 850. They suggested we take him to CARE in Cincinnati for exploratory surgery. So I called and took him there the next day with the lab results and x-rays taken by the vet. The day after, they opened him up and called me right away. He had cancerous tumors within his ( I never forgave my vet for not noticing the tumors because the surgeon in Cincinnati said that they were showing on the x-ray) abdomen/kidneys/bladder. Made the decision to have him put down and but not until I could get down there and be with him, made the hour drive in less than 45 minutes with tears streaming down my face. If I had known all this before I would have kept him comfortable and at home and not have put him through the surgery. That my friends, was a 2500 price tag but I would have spent even more if I could. Two days later our vet called to express his sorrow and well he wound up with an ear full and I fired the vet that day, not just for this reason but there were two instances with our pets before that.

Now the "Blues Brothers" their food is around 50 a month and treats, let's just say they love pigs ears to the tune of 18 per bag and bacon-strips if on sale 15 and small dog biscuits 15 (use these as training treats) and on special occasion canned dog food 4 per can. Oh and can't forget the greenies for their teeth 25 a box. All of this is a month. Their vet bill….are you sitting down, the last visit in October was 450 for both as they were due all their shots. In six months will take them back for the “kennel cough” treatment and that will be around 150. I obviously can not forget this instance, the unexpected, with Elwood. Jake and Elwood when they could, they would race and race in the back yard and finally found the raised flower bed around the fountain. They used it as a race track, around and around they would go, it was fall so my flowers were dormant anyway and then the snow came. VERY comical, except, one evening I had let them outside, it was in January they were 7 months old, it was cold and snow was still on the ground. I heard a horrible scream/yelp and then barking and barking and suddenly there was Jake at the back door barking and barking. I had my PJ’s on and no shoes I walked outside onto the deck and Jake insisted that I follow him into the yard. Suddenly I knew why he was barking there he was Elwood lying on the ground about 3 feet from the flower bed. I ran over and picked him up under my arm and raced inside and put him on the kitchen table, all the while Jake at my feet and still barking. Yep Elwood must have come off their run around the fountain caught his leg somehow on the retaining wall blocks or just landed wrong, he broke his right rear leg. Trip to the emergency 24 hour clinic at 8pm..300 trip to our vet the next day 150 then a trip to CARE in Cincinnati that same day for surgery to be done the following day, they put a plate in to hold his break together…2700. Then of course follow ups to CARE in Cincinnati and a couple to our vet…mind boggling. (Oh and we did find a new vet for the “Blues Brother’s” and he is the greatest)

Pets are expensive and you have to be prepared for the unexpected. Today you would never know that Elwood had broke his back leg he races jumps. Only every so often he will bang it against something hard and yelp but that is not too often.

My dogs and cats are my children…and I spoil them rotten and they love me unconditionally and well darn I love them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
kidsenclave--- we too have said that once the presents dog- pass... no more pets.
We put down 1 dog about 1 yr ago (the mom of the dog that is now sick).

·
Registered
661 Posts
We just put down our American Eskimo at age 16 1/2. She was pedigreed, cost $150.00, probably ate $15.00 a month in food. Over her lifetime we probably spent $2000.00 in vet bills.
All in all, she was the greatest bargain in the world. For the joy she brought I would gladly pay much more.
I see people spending vast amounts on art and say, "well, it's nice I suppose, but it sure is not worth that kind of money."
These intangible values are inexplicable.
We have family that lives in some of the ugliest country that I have ever seen. They think it is wonderful.
To each his own. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great photo Sailfish, and great post! I guess the moral here is, have money in reserve if you own pets....it's not as simple as a set monthly bill.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Thanks! Yes you have to have a reserve. The one thing about Mikey and the "Blues Brothers" was Mikey became sick the middle of August 07 and we put him down at that time. The house was empty without a dog and I wanted another ONE.

Sooo I checked around and spoke with breeders in the area hearing that they had dogs for sale. But no their dogs, retired show dogs, were already spoken for. Then I had three recommend a breeder north of Mansfield. I called and they had five little boys. We drove up on Saturday of Labor Day weekend that year and saw the cutiest little Sheltie boys. Could not decide...so we have two.

Drove back up two weeks later and brought them back home and a week later I threw a puppy shower. Lots of friends stopped by and the boys...were ohhh'd and ahhh'd over and passed around. I think that is when the boys decided they love getting attention and sitting on our laps.

Then like I said Mikey in August 07 and then Elwood broke his leg January 08. Talk about getting hit with vet bills YIKES! So far so good the boys are rambunctious and in good health and watching them race around the yard and play in the snow is so much fun. Oh and one thing...fountain flower bed is off limits to the boys no more race track.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
My 15 year old Bijon was put down (SO sad...) in November 2010. We took her home for about $1,500 when she was about 3 months old, and the costs continued to mount from there. All tolled, she probably cost us about $8,000 in veterinary expenses over the years, and another $4,000-$5,000 in boarding, grooming, food, licensing, and medication fees. I guess that she cost us nearly $1,000 per year for each of the 15 years that we owned her. :eek:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I didn't even count the license fee, 24 per dog yearly and due this month then the boarding 19 per day per dog and we have them board them together, same run because they have never been apart even their own cages are next door to each other in the family room. Plus we have a grooming service come by monthly so chalk up 135 for both dogs, bath/trim/nails clipped.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wife and I have had basset Hounds for 52 yrs., usually from a low of(3) to high of (6) at one time not counting puppies. I don't want to know the cost of keeping them (bad heart). But, wife always says we spent more money by a long shot on the dogs at the Vet. than we ever spent at the doctors on our (4) children. Now, that's just not right. That I know in my tri-state area I'm the only person that hunts (rabbits) with Basset"s ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
We had to put our Basset Lucy-Lou down last summer when her conjestive heart failure got to the point of no recovery.

So - to answer the kids question:
Cost per month - $$$$
The unconditional love and affection received over her 10year lifespan - Priceless

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
wvbill = beautiful picture and so sorry it is tough losing a pet they always seem to set up residence within your heart...along with everyone else you love correct?

Gold = a friend of mine I use to work with has two Bijon's and the stories she tells me and the pictures...beautiful and so sorry as well for your loss.

Pets if you don't love them there is something seriously wrong in my book.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sailfish said:
Pets if you don't love them there is something seriously wrong in my book.
Thanks Sailfish - you are right on.

Someone sent the attached to us shortly after we lost Lucy (coming in several posts)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:thumb: Thanks wvbill those were wonderful.

·
Registered
848 Posts
As you can tell kids, it's very hard to nail down. It's like trying to calculate the cost of owning a car. Some dogs are inexpensive to own, others can cost a lot if they end up with problems. We had one dog (gone now after having kids, long story), a Beagle. He was pretty low cost I would say. We probably spent $25 a month on food, then he had a check up at the vet once a year along with the heart worm pills. We didn't buy him much in the way of treats since he got all the table scraps he could handle. :thumb: But then you have other indirect expenses to think about like having a fence, possibly paying to have someone dog sit if you go away, wrecked furniture (ours loved to lay on the top part of the love seat at the front window. After a couple years it ended up with a huge hole in the cushion he laid on. though it was a cheap POS), etc.

Sounds like maybe you are in the same boat we are with my wife's mom. She just quit her job at Wal Mart. She is on disability for bi-polar and guilt tripped her father into giving her $500 a month to help out. She talks about not having money of course, and one thing we don't like is she has two cats. My wife wants to tell her to get rid of them. She actually just put one down because she couldn't afford the surgery it needed for something. Of course she went right out and got another one.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts