EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good deal as I didn't sign any papers yet. 2008 CXL FWD with everything (almost). Luxury Pkg, Drivers Confidence Pkg, 19" chrome wheels, Sunroof w/ Skylight in rear, Entertainment Pkg #4 with everything (NAV, DVD, etc), Extra charge for black paint. Total due at start of lease (39 months) is $1,250 (including first months payment and anything else they want to call it). 38 remaining payments of $630 plux tax with 15,000 miles allowed annually. Is this a good deal or can I do a lot better??? How does this compare with other deals people are getting. It was the cheapest in my local area amongst many dealerships.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, they will probably be a lot more expensive. But, the 08's will be a lot cheaper. What do you know that is going to be new on the 09's other than maybe a different engine change (like a V8)? I really wish they had a keyless start and entry like my current 05' Audi A6 has...maybe they will offer this. Is my lease deal competitive? My current lease isn't up until May 15 but I thought the Enclave deal is pretty good so I'm doing it now. I am also over on the current Audi lease miles by 1,000 miles at .25c/mile so I would really like to get out sooner than later. I also could wait but the dealer did a dealer trade for the car for me...I didn't give them any money yet but don't feel it's right to do that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Heated/Cooled Seats, 2nd row console (maybe), Direct Injection Engine with 285+ hp, bluetooth are what's new for '09.

It is possible you'll get a better lease deal on the '09s as the residual will probably be higher for an early '09 compared to a late model year '08 even though there probably will be a slight price increase on the '09.

Although you'll be able to order an '09 in mid April, they won't be shipped to dealers until June or July.

·
Registered
721 Posts
bondguy said:
Is this a good deal as I didn't sign any papers yet. 2008 CXL FWD with everything (almost). Luxury Pkg, Drivers Confidence Pkg, 19" chrome wheels, Sunroof w/ Skylight in rear, Entertainment Pkg #4 with everything (NAV, DVD, etc), Extra charge for black paint. Total due at start of lease (39 months) is $1,250 (including first months payment and anything else they want to call it). 38 remaining payments of $630 plux tax with 15,000 miles allowed annually. Is this a good deal or can I do a lot better??? How does this compare with other deals people are getting. It was the cheapest in my local area amongst many dealerships.
That actually sounds like a really good deal on a loaded Enclave; the lease rates right now are kind of high, so they are giving you a good deal on the car. Was the MSRP around $43-44k or so? If so, looks like they're selling you the car at or very near invoice. Good job!

As far as waiting for a 2009, they'll probably be more expensive, and once you have lease rates for the '09's, you won't be able to lease an '08 (at least thru GM-they won't overlap model years on leases).

·
Registered
509 Posts
That does sound like a good deal.

As for the '09s, ordering will not start until late next month and none will actually hit lots until around July, so unless you really must have the revised engine or few new features...go with an '08 right now, and a good deal as you have gotten.

·
Registered
161 Posts
bondguy said:
What is the configured MSRP?
What is the Cap Cost?
What is the residual?
What is the money factor?

without knowing that it is hard to say what is what.

there is a concept I've seen on edmunds forums that talks about how much your are getting for your money.
do a search under the CX-9 Leases forums for an explanation.

Never mind going over to the CX-9 Lease forums -- I figured out what they are doing......

Take you MSRP*resid/((montly payment * # months) + upfront costs (not including TT&L)

CX-9 leases can be had in the low-mid 90's (according to the Edmunds forums)

So just guessing from your #'s above

MSRP (~43K * ~0.45 Resid Factor)/(630*38+1250) = ~77%

My guess is the money factor is pretty high.

If I were leasing and liked the CX-9 -- I'd head that route.........

m

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does that formula provide? What is the 77 number you are coming up with equate to? Obviously, the higher the number, the better the deal but please explain your number. Thanks. And, yes, the MSRP is $43,095. And, NO. I do not like the Mazda CX9 as much. You do get a lot for your money but driving in it, it wasn't the same feeling for me as sitting in the Buick. I felt cramped inside. I didn't like the big area (whatever you call that part of the car between the driver and front seat passenger that is raised up where the shifter of the car is). It was too high and although some may like that, it did not appeal to me. Also, even though they give you a lot in the Mazda (bells and whistles), reading a lot of posts, there were a lot of problems with those bells and whistles. The Ipod jack was full of problems (not working properly for many people). To me, the fit and finish (mainly the paint finish) was very dull and didn't have the same shine as the Buick and other cars I had looked at. Look for yourself. If you can tell the difference between a good looking shine of a paintjob and a dull one, next time you are near a Mazda CX9, check out the paint and see if what I say isn't true. This bothered me about the CX9 from the start even when I saw one at the local car show for the first time back in November. The NAV screen is supposed to be a pretty crappy one in the Mazda too from what I have read. And, last bu no least, I don't like a middle row that seats 3. If I wanted that, I would have opted for the bench seat in the middle row of the Enclave. I like captains chairs for easy walk through access to the rear back seats and prefer 3 seating in the back. And, the Enclave is just so much more beautiful looking vehicle than the CX9 IMO. The CX9 looks like a big version of the CX7 (not that there's anything wrong with that).

NOTE: Did your formula for the payment that some other dealers in my area were charging for the Enclave (monthly payment of $750...$1,500 due at start, etc...). Came up with 64 for a number...interesting that my number is 77 or much higher. I guess this number tells you compared to other brand cars or just other deals on the same car what kind of a deal you are getting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
bondguy said:
What does that formula provide? What is the 77 number you are coming up with equate to? Obviously, the higher the number, the better the deal but please explain your number. Thanks. And, yes, the MSRP is $43,095. And, NO. I do not like the Mazda CX9 as much. You do get a lot for your money but driving in it, it wasn't the same feeling for me as sitting in the Buick. I felt cramped inside.
I agree -- the Enclave|Acadia will be my wife' car -- two things she didn't care for in the CX-9
were getting in and out -- she hit her head on the A pillar :-( and the deep rails in the 2nd row floor
for the seats. The Enclave has similar but the mats are better and she believes the slide system
is better.

NOTE: Did your formula for the payment that some other dealers in my area were charging for the Enclave (monthly payment of $750...$1,500 due at start, etc...). Came up with 64 for a number...interesting that my number is 77 or much higher. I guess this number tells you compared to other brand cars or just other deals on the same car what kind of a deal you are getting.
Yes it does include the cap adjustment as well as any first month payment

so the demoninator is -- # of monthly payments at given monthly rate -- so in your case it was 38 months (the 1st payment was rolled into the cap adjust (or downpayment)) * $630,
then add in any upfront costs, including the first months payment if that is rolled in.

What does it mean -- basically it is a figure of merit -- and it describes what % of your payment is going
towards the "COST" of the vehicle. i.e. Cap_Cost - Residual.

You certainly can compare same vehicle to same vehicle -- but you can also get a feel for
leasing different vehicles.

Leases get a little confusing -- because many things are moving around -- front end (CAP_COST),
back end (Residual) -- and of course MoneyFactor (how much am I paying to borrow against
the cost of the vehicle).

I've only recently come across this figure of merit --
but I believe the method above gives a quick way to see how "efficient" the lease is in terms of cost of leasing the vehicle.

hope this helps......

M

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the higher the number, the more efficient it is. I can't believe it but some dealers (lots) are still getting sticker or a premium for their Enclaves.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had one dealer told me he was asking full msrp and depending on the options on the car on the lot, a few hundred on top of it. I have no clue who would pay it. I've yet to see anyone on this forum say they paid msrp or higher.

·
Registered
161 Posts
bondguy said:
So the higher the number, the more efficient it is. I can't believe it but some dealers (lots) are still getting sticker or a premium for their Enclaves.
That is correct,

Amount of Car I am Using (MSRP - RESID)

Higher the better.

m

·
Registered
509 Posts
jr7243 said:
I had one dealer told me he was asking full msrp and depending on the options on the car on the lot, a few hundred on top of it. I have no clue who would pay it. I've yet to see anyone on this forum say they paid msrp or higher.
A few did, early on. Smokin SRX did, for example, just because he NEEDED a replacement, loved the Enclave, the dealer was right and had exactly the right vehicle, but wasn't discounting. It wasn't a time for shopping around and haggling, for another $1k or $2k, basically. And some also still get quotes like that now, especially with "hot" optioned CXL's especially in something like the must-have White Diamond--some, actually, then were also reporting dealers would discount on Enclaves except for their WDT ones. All depends on supply and dealers.

Honestly, the vehicle is one that is worth every penny, honestly, and not something one buys just because of the deal--that's always nice, but not a must. Most dealers are not doing this, however, simply because it's not what people expect--regardless of brand or model--and even though they could get it with some deals, tend to prescribe to a common pricing baseline (a lot of $xx over invoice, etc.).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was reading about some early on problems and got to wondering about the build date of my Enclave I'm picking up this Saturday. The dealer told me based on the VIN, it was a build date of March 5th and some other date of the 13th (maybe the date it arrived at the dealership or shipment date). Either way, it's a newer build and hopefully should be without some of the earlier problems. Pretty amazing that it's built on March 5th and already at the dealer in a couple of weeks...I'm not used to that...I'm used to German cars where they are two months or more arrival time at the USA dealership from build date.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Right - I'm sorry. I should have said that there may have been some people that paid msrp out of the gate, but that's the case with many cars. Remember when people paid $10k over sticker for the PT Cruiser when it came out??? Laughable now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
question on your formula...do you use MSRP (assuming someone pays that much) or the cap cost of vehicle (from dealer discounting it, not down payment money). If the dealer writes the deal up at $41,000 and sticker is $43,000, woudn't you use the lower number assuming you didn't get there from any money paid out by me?

·
Registered
161 Posts
bondguy said:
question on your formula...do you use MSRP (assuming someone pays that much) or the cap cost of vehicle (from dealer discounting it, not down payment money). If the dealer writes the deal up at $41,000 and sticker is $43,000, woudn't you use the lower number assuming you didn't get there from any money paid out by me?
The way I understand it, this figure of merit is referenced to MSRP.

If you did it the way you were talking your percentage would be deflated. i.e smaller number on top,
same number on bottom.

Any cap reduction by the dealership off of MSRP would show up as a reduced value in the denominator,
i.e. how much you are paying. The way the expression works is that the numerator is the "value" of
the vehicle ----- MSRP - RESID VALUE.

"VALUE"/COST

I assume they use MSRP as that is a "known" reference point. Also if you negotiate a better deal
that will show up as a reduced COST to you and therefore a higher (better) "Value"/COST ratio.

I didn't come up with it -- but it seems to make sense in my warped mind :)

m

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Absolutely love this Enclave. Went out with some friends yesterday night right after picking it up in the afternoon. All they kept saying was "Are you sure this is a Buick?". Car drives excellent. Only thing so far I noticed is that they should have put a handle on the drivers side to make it easier getting out of the car. I love the remote start feature. One question though...If you start the car from remote, will it shut off after so much time if you don't enter the car? Also, I didn't see this on any cars on the dealers lots but mine has a flex antenna on the rear of the roof...like I'm used to seeing on the VW's. Is this for satellite radio or if not, what is it for and do they all come with this antenna? What are the lilttle yellow lights in the rood toward the inside of the cars rear that blink when backing up? Are they telling you right or left where the car is beeping from in reverse?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hmmmmm.... let me guess... You don't read owners' manuals! :eek:hno:

Remote start turns off in 10 minutes...

The antenna is for the radio and...?

The lights are part of the backup warning system. More lights, closer you are to the obstacle...

·
Registered
509 Posts
rockyp said:
Hmmmmm.... let me guess... You don't read owners' manuals! :eek:hno:

Remote start turns off in 10 minutes...

The antenna is for the radio and...?

The lights are part of the backup warning system. More lights, closer you are to the obstacle...
Correct. Then remote start runs for 10 minutes, and can be doubled to 20 if you double the cycles (i.e. click it again). Why you'd let it run that long is beyond me, but that's how it works.

The antenna is on ALL of them (maybe the ones seen just were screwed on yet, after transport) and is for 3 things in one: Onstar, XM, and FM/AM

And, as said, lights are for the backup warning system that light up more as the beeps also increase due to an obstacle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts