EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
So what I'd like to know and surprised I haven't seen anyone really discuss is the lack of bodyside moldings that might have helped to protect the Enclave from all the idiots where we have to park our vehicle. The Acadia has a "ding molding" as part of its design but if you look at it, I wonder if it really is effective at all?

I'm not saying that Buick's designers should have included this -- it would likely have ruined the beautiful lines of the exterior. However, I'm just wondering if those with Enclaves for several months have any comments on whether they've collected a bunch of door dings yet -- or if the design is such that a lot of doors hit the cladding. In my own garage, the Enclave is parked next to the Infiniti G20 and the G would definitely do some damage if the door was just opened too far.

Beyond parking in the middle of nowhere by yourself (which never seems to help me -- EVERY time I park hundreds of feet from other vehicles, I ALWAYS come back to find some knucklehead parked right next to me, and usually with a bad park job to boot. It's like my cars are magnets for some jerk to find and damage). I saw the thread about the clear bra (the 3M stuff, and there's another company that makes similar product -- where it's a fairly thick clear plastic skin for protection) -- and was even thinking of putting that on the 4 doors (though I'm not thrilled about how it might look).

So, any thoughts, ideas, comments or experience other Enclave-rs would like to share?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would like to be able to purchase a "force field" option with my Enclave such that, not only would it repel clunker doors from dinging its beautiful skin, but that it would actually lock in with a tractor beam any moron that would DARE park next to her and fling said inferior vehicle into the next galaxy (or at least the back of the parking lot) before anyone could open their door into above mentioned beautiful skin.

·
Registered
525 Posts
After I park at least 100 feet away from anyone else I set up a perimeter of M18A1 Claymore Antipersonnel Mines, so far so good!! ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Got our first micro "ding" today! Almost invisible, but I see it!! No solution. I am not putting clear plastic on sides of our Buick Beauty. One guy has these magnetic type signs (only they are blank!) and same color as car. looks like he puts them on when parking at a mall! At least I assume that's what he uses them for. (was on A M Benz Convert!) I know you can buy them at any printer or sign shop for about $35 a panel . He just had doors 65% covered. Guess that's most likely spot for another door to hit?
Now.........what about runaway shopping carts!! :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
maginter said:
That was the first thing that I noticed about the CUV. I have never seen so much exposed sheet metal. I bought the sport wings Body side molding and love it! Easy to instal. Good paint match, nice product.

http://www.sportwing.com/catalog/displaycat.pcgi?fm_catid=22&fm_subcatid=103#
Hey, Good tip! Nice site. Any chance you got a digital cam and can give us a few shots???? I've always been concerned about this issue. The big beautiful doors a re just sitting there like a lamb amoungst wolves!! I'm close to ordering as I want the same color and not a universal black or chrome strip. THKS!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I just ordered! Wife came home w/ a red scuff from a red Imports door!! It buffed out 99% thank God. ( I'm pretty sure I know the car :angryfire: ) So I went to the site and ordered a set! (they showed a White Enclave, like mine!!) Look under "painted moldings". $99 plus $12 shipping. These doors are just too exposed and these guards seem the least noticeable of all! Will post pix when in!!

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just installed the Sportwing moldings. Very easy installation. It took maybe 45-60 minutes. I've attached the instructions from Sportwing. A couple of recommendations. First, make sure you find somewhere warm. The garage was 65F so I got out the blow-dryer to help out a bit (didn't want to use a heat gun). Second, use painter's tape (the blue stuff). I took a small piece of tape and used it to mark the 17" and 18" reference points (the bottom portion of the marking tape indicated the 17" and 18" points). Then, with the help of another person, we pulled a single, long piece of tape accross the side of the Enclave (using the two reference pieces). This provide a straight line to place the top of the molding to the bottom of the applied tape. I prep'd the car as the instructions directed. The one pain-in-the-$%@## part is when appling the molding. The tapered ends of each piece (four pieces total) has an adhesive strip that is separate from the main adhesive backing. Naturally, as you install the strip of molding this is the last part to adhere to the car. I didn't catch this on the first piece applied and had to go back and carefully peel the cover off the end adhesive piece. After this fun I peeled the covering off the adhesive end first, then reinstalled in loosely so I could more easily remove as the install happened.

Overall, rather a simple process and easy to do. I'd post pics but it looks exactly like those others have already posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got them! Sportwing sent the item super fast and as described. Now I just need my Enclave. Build date is this week :blob:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Reghed,

When you put the side mouldings on, I noticed you didn't mention using the supplied adhesive that Dawn Enterprises (Sportwing) provided. I received my mouldings last night and wasn't sure why I need the adhesive in addition to the adhesive backing on the moulding. May have to rent a portable heater for the garage to get the door panels up to 75 degrees. Hair dryer sounds like it may take too long for the four doors.

Press

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
press In regheds absence, I'll offer a reply. The liquid included is a cleaner(like alcohol) The 3-M adhesive sticky tape is already on the moldings when they arrive, as you say! 60 degrees will work!! That's where I wound up! Make sure moldings are in house a few hours, before install. You want them pliable. Keep gap (from front door to rear door) very tight for a good continuous look. 1/4 to 1/2 inch looks good! Just make sure rear door opens without scraping front door moldings :thumb:

AZEnclave pretty sure Sportwing also has chrome! Of course, they tend to be universally available also. Check a body shop supply house. I have seen them on 25' rolls! JC Whitney Auto .com has chrome also. Stick with Sportwing for OE color match !

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ordered a set from Sportwing Monday evening and they shipped Tuesday morning. Hoping to install this weekend.

Thanks for the tip Smokin!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
AZEnclave
Welcome to the forum :welcome:

MRBUICK

·
Registered
166 Posts
Smokin SRX,

Thanks for the reply. I wound up putting the mouldings on over the weekend. In my package, I had in addition to the alcohol wipes, a crush cylinder of Pro-Bond Adhesive Promotor. I didn't use the wipes, instead I used a 70% Isopropyl alcohol spray solution diluted 3:1 and used that to clean the doors.Sprayed my hands often as well, so I would not get any oil on the adhesive strip or body. Only one issue. By the time I finished the first side mouldings, and went to the second side, the Adhesive Promotor in the tube had dried out. I wrote to Sportwing to suggest they supply two tubes. I gapped them as you noted and they look great. I have Carbon Black Metallic and the color match is perfect. I went with the slight rake from 17 to 18 inches. The other great tip about the split on the adhesive lining was really useful as I could have easily thought it would peel back in one strip.

Press

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Nice work! Glad it came out well.
No thanks needed. We all share what we learn here :thumb:
That other posters tip was good indeed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts