EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to fit the Enclave in a very tight spot -as a result driver's side door handle got scratched. :mad:

Does anyone know if I can just replace a cover or is it the whole assembly that needs to be replaced?

Thank you.

·
Registered
721 Posts
How deep is the scratch? Can you buff it out? If not, you'll end up having to replace the whole handle.......... :blob:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is beyond buffing out but I am not a pro. All body shops are cosed on Sat around here.

I will go some time next to get a professional opinion.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Actually I did understand your damage description as needing more than strong elbows. I should have said Paint and body work may be practical, right on the car! They perform miracles these days. Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am attaching pics of the scratched handle. And apparently of lower door panel :-[

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Firstly, smack me with a wet noodle! I wasn't looking at it and FORGOT we have beautiful chrome door handles!! DUH! Still body shop will have no problem but I don't know if you could replace it yourself. Not repairable IMHO. Sorry

Secondly, GOOD news! Looks like some WD-40 might "erase" that lower paint scrape! (yes, WD-40!) May have to touch up a little with paint if too deep a gouge. But it will look MUCH better!

Good luck and watch out for those moving Garage walls....they jump right in front of you!! ;) ;D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WD-40 definitely helped, thanks Smoking!!

I went to 2 body shops and both places insist that there is a dent on both doors. I cannot see/feel it.

Anyway, I got 3 estimates: $400, $650 and... $20. ??? The last one is for just touching up; the guy said it is not going to look perfect but pretty good.
But that's for the door panels only. The handle is beyond fixing so I will live with it until I find one on Ebay or junk yard...

·
Registered
721 Posts
chumster said:
The handle is beyond fixing so I will live with it until I find one on Ebay or junk yard...
FYI-the handle itself is the same on the LaCrosse and Lucerne, so your number of options just went up., i.e. salvage, etc.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tralfaz said:
FYI-the handle itself is the same on the LaCrosse and Lucerne, so your number of options just went up., i.e. salvage, etc.
Great info, thank you very much, Tralfaz!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
he door handle is very inexpensive.........like thirty bucks from a freindly dealer, not that hard to change either.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rick418cars said:
he door handle is very inexpensive.........like thirty bucks from a freindly dealer, not that hard to change either.
Can you provide a description how to change the handle?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
chumster said:
WD-40 definitely helped, thanks Smoking!!

I went to 2 body shops and both places insist that there is a dent on both doors. I cannot see/feel it.

Anyway, I got 3 estimates: $400, $650 and... $20. ??? The last one is for just touching up; the guy said it is not going to look perfect but pretty good.
But that's for the door panels only. The handle is beyond fixing so I will live with it until I find one on Ebay or junk yard...
If I couldn't SEE it or FEEL it, I wouldn't pay for it!! ;) :D
Just get the handles fixed.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
rick418cars said:
Great, now I know my door handle is cheap...put that right next to my plastic door locks ;)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Plastic door locks? didn't know............where?
THKS!
In the nit pick area people have complained that they thought the door locks inside that you push down in the old days to manually lock your doors looked cheap and plastic to them.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I park my 'clave in the garage with the front windows down so air can circulate through the car all night. In the morning, I walk to the passenger side and toss (well, gently place ::) ) my computer backpack into the passenger seat, then walk around, get in drive off, etc...

Anyway, a few days ago, while "gently placing" my backpack through the open window, one of the shoulder straps caught the door lock "button" and bent it 90 degrees. Needless to say, it wouldn't lock. So I "gently" pulled on and bent the button back into position, and it is fine now.

The point of my dumb story is that the lock seems to have a metal inner shaft, 'cause I don't think a plastic button would have behaved quite that way. And that's kind of a pointless point - must be a slow day... :eyebrow:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
rockyp said:
I park my 'clave in the garage with the front windows down so air can circulate through the car all night. In the morning, I walk to the passenger side and toss (well, gently place ::) ) my computer backpack into the passenger seat, then walk around, get in drive off, etc...

Anyway, a few days ago, while "gently placing" my backpack through the open window, one of the shoulder straps caught the door lock "button" and bent it 90 degrees. Needless to say, it wouldn't lock. So I "gently" pulled on and bent the button back into position, and it is fine now.

The point of my dumb story is that the lock seems to have a metal inner shaft, 'cause I don't think a plastic button would have behaved quite that way. And that's kind of a pointless point - must be a slow day... :eyebrow:
Sort of like Gumby and Pokey then huh?

PS Rocky, the clave got the day off today as Mr. RX8 was awoken from his winter hibernation and got to go to work today, I am pretty sure I got there faster than usual!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
bsox said:
In the nit pick area people have complained that they thought the door locks inside that you push down in the old days to manually lock your doors looked cheap and plastic to them.
OK. Got it. THKS!

Rockyp...........good tale of caution. Glad it worked. Wouldn't want to try it twice though ;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm envious, bsox. I want an RX-8 for fun, too! My RX-7s were almost my favorite cars ever - my favorite was an old Fiat Spider convertible. Most fun car I ever owned, except for when it was broken or the rain was pouring in through the canvas top... :'(

And Smokin'... I agree, twice might be more than the lock post will take. I'm pretty careful now!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts