EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the hail storm I have been deluged with "door knockers", or as most of you know them as solicitors. They are roofing contractors and tree service companies going door to door trying to drum up business. Most of these companies are "fly by night" and will take your money and give you poor service.

I had two salesman with "Jasper Roofing" ring my doorbell last week and when I told them they were not permitted to go door to door one of them said that they were permitted to go door to door since the hail storm the township had relaxed their rules and were passing out permits. LOL nope I told him that I would have known because I am one to ALWAYS keep up on what is happening within the government.

They cannot even get a permit to solicit. Only non profits, churches (had one knock Tuesday....Jehovah's Witness and she was rather perturbed when I told her I was Catholic and not interested) and such, are permitted. They can though register with the township and if their qualifications check out be placed on a list that the residents can ask to see if they need a type of repair service.

So you bet I called the sheriff department and asked the question and the dispatcher wasn't aware of this. So...looks like the sheriff will be patrolling the neighborhood. LOL the two guys didn't like it when I told them that my friends work for Possert Construction. Then the idiot even asked if my roof was okay. Like YEA you think I am that stupid? Guess they are doing the roof of someone across the street, like the lady who took down all her trees on her property and then planted 4 new ones, of which 2 died (LMBO)! All of our trees, and we have LOTS of trees, I am pretty sure protected not only the house but two vehicles which were sitting in the drive when the hail storm blew threw.

The little snit told me that no he was correct and that they have a permit to solicit I told him....he best get off my property because I do not appreciate having salesmen lie to my face.

Ten minutes later I received a call from a deputy and he and I were chuckling because he had about an hour earlier spoken with a Jasper crew who were doing work somewhere else because he had received a complaint about their soliciting on that street as well. The deputy swung back by and asked if he had another crew going door to door on my street....the guy made a phone call and told the two who where here to get in their truck and get out of the township. LMBO!

What fries me is there are individuals knocking on doors just to see if anybody is home and then if no answer they go around and let themselves into your home! What was funny was when those two were at the door Jake and Elwood were in the family room, not in their cages, and Elwood was letting them know he was on guard. One of the guys mentioned I have a dog...I said I have two dogs...and they do not take too kindly to strangers. HAHAHAHA!!

Then last week there was a tree service guy who came up and knocked on the door telling me that they are "picking up sticks" across the street and he wants to quote me on tree service. He had a quote sheet with the company name and phone number printed on it looking so....trying to look so...professional.

So anyway I said "hey hand me that sheet and I will give my husband a call to see if it is okay". He had it in his hand and as he was starting to say "I can go ahead and...(yep I took it right out of his hand)....quote you."

I said call you later and shut the door in his face and locked it. Walked into the living room (without missing the step down) and called the sheriff.

The dispatch was chuckling (got to love dispatchers) when I told him what I did and said they would have an officer right out. WOOHOO!!!

So my word an officer was here within 10 minutes so I stepped out onto the front porch and she motioned for me to stay on my porch. I heard her speaking with them and she asked who was driving the truck...someone else was and they left with another driver. After she finished running the ID on the individuals she called for another officer and came over to speak with me.

OH MY WORD there was my Sheriff Deputy friend!!! I haven't seen her in nearly 3 years as she was working nights...she loves Jake and Elwood! We stood on the porch talking and then other officer drove up and here is what I am going to chuckle about for a while. She and the other officer will sit at either end of the street because she is betting one of the 4 workers is driving that truck AND neither one has a license. ROFLMAO!!!

Just now had a girl ring the door bell from "American Siding and Roofing". The first thing out of her mouth was "I bet you have had many companies knock on your door". First thing out of mine was, after I took the piece of advertisement out of her hand, "You are not permitted to solicit in the township and right after I close the door I will be calling the sheriff department to file a complaint....good bye". AND I did.

I need to add and I chuckled over this when he told me, a neighbor across the street, while I was away in Lansing, halted one roofing company from finishing the walk down my driveway to the front door. Chris called out to him and said "hey I wouldn't go there if I were you she does NOT like people knocking on her door trying to sell something and you cannot solicit in the township and she WILL call the sheriff department". The guy thanked Chris and hustled back to his truck and left the area.

My reason for this long long long tirade, not just that this ticks me off, but it is because there has been an upswing with burglaries and most are happening during the day. They will knock on the door to see if anybody is home, walk around to the back and break in and your things are gone. Then again there are many times there are two individuals and once they both get into your house one will distract you while the other asks to use your restroom or for a glass of water and then a wallet or credit card...gone. There was a warning published in the DDN not too long ago that a group of people, gypsies, were known to be in the area and one needed to be aware of their tactics.

So now I am.....stepping down from my :soapbox:

EDIT: The one thing that stood out on the American Siding and Roofing advertisement is their warranty. ONLY five years on workmanship and material. That is a huge red flag. The roof installed here in 2003...30 years workmanship and 50 pulled out the warranty and it is 30 years on the material according to my husband when we discussed this tonight.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I had a more pleasant experience the other day. The door knocker turned out to be the mayor of my town. He just stopped by to welcome my family to the town we had moved to a month ago. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chumster said:
I had a more pleasant experience the other day. The door knocker turned out to be the mayor of my town. He just stopped by to welcome my family to the town we had moved to a month ago. :thumb:
:thumb: That is the only good door knocker! ;D

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
chumster said:
I had one of those too, back in 1989 when I moved to my small NJ town.
She impressed me so much, I even voted for her (even though she was a democrat ::) )

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
MRBUICK said:
I had one of those too, back in 1989 when I moved to my small NJ town.
She impressed me so much, I even voted for her (even though she was a democrat ::) )
Are you sure you want this info here, in writing?? ;)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chumster said:
Are you sure you want this info here, in writing?? ;)

LOL that is exactly what I was thinking! ;D ;)

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
In local politics, it is all volunteer, and I vote for the best person for my town. (Besides, she was a conservative).
The line between democrat and republican is rather fuzzy on the local level.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:angryfire: The door knockers have now resorted to "phone ringers". I just fielded my second call in the last two days and from the same company and even the same guy! I told him yesterday when he called wanting to quote us on a new roof not interested and to not call again.

Today he had the audacity to tell me he had an inspector out yesterday and noticed that our roof needed replaced and they could stop by today.

I called him a "trickster" as I was home all day yesterday and no one was on my property and he better never call again.

Guess if their inspector was actually here yesterday he was just too dumb to see the "roofing contractor" sign in my front yard, borrowed from my friends who are in the business as a deterrent to those pesky "door knocker".

From now on I will just let the phone go to voice mail...heck the call came up as unknown and I have a couple friends phone numbers show up that way.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:banghead: :angryfire:

Just received the second phone call of the day, third in two days, from "Total Home Improvement"!

What will it take for these fools to get the hint! I know that I can file a complaint with the state of Ohio because solicitations by phone you can request they remove you from their data base and if they continue to call you can report them. Only thing is I don't have a phone number...just the name of the company. Although I do believe that the calls are originating from a "room of people" doing nothing except making phone calls.

If I receive another call I think I will have them come by just so I can get their exact name and phone number and then report them to the state. >:D

We are on the "do not call list" and by calling us to solicit business they are overstepping their boundary.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Re: Door Knockers!

If you're on the do not call list, and they call anyway, document your complaints and they may have to pay you money. Not sure how it works now, but it used to be $1500 if they called 3 times (from the same place). Their number may be blocked to you, but it's not to the phone company...

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Matno said:
If you're on the do not call list, and they call anyway, document your complaints and they may have to pay you money. Not sure how it works now, but it used to be $1500 if they called 3 times (from the same place). Their number may be blocked to you, but it's not to the phone company...

Thanks I think next time they call, because I am pretty darn sure they will, I will get the information as in phone number contact and confirm the business name.

Since it sounded like one of those "mass calling" rooms full of people on phones making sales calls there may be more than one phone number showing up.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Sailfish said:
Thanks I think next time they call, because I am pretty darn sure they will, I will get the information as in phone number contact and confirm the business name.

Since it sounded like one of those "mass calling" rooms full of people on phones making sales calls there may be more than one phone number showing up.
I believe the "do not call list" does not apply to companies with which you've recently done business.... or... if you've ever checked one of those boxes on a form, or internet page like...
" [ ] Check this box if you want to hear about special offers from our partner companies"

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

rpasetto said:
I believe the "do not call list" does not apply to companies with which you've recently done business.... or... if you've ever checked one of those boxes on a form, or internet page like...
" [ ] Check this box if you want to hear about special offers from our partner companies"

Could be true although that is something I won't do. Heck when shopping there are stores that ask for your phone number so as to assist in doing supposed research where their business is being pulled in from. Kind of odd because zip codes would work better. Anyway I just tell them "sorry but I do not give out my phone number".

I have had one company (after research and referrals) do all the remodeling on the outside of our home, roof/windows/siding/front door. Another company did all the concrete work out front drive/walks/porch. Then our landscapers did the final install of the retaining wall system out back (I told husband that I was too old to lug around 65lb decorative blocks...actually wanted to watch some young buff guys do the work ;D ).

All the damage from the hail in our area was concentrated in only 4 zip code zones. I also noticed many companies just driving up and down the street and noting which homes did not have a contractors sign in the yard. They can then do a phone number look up by address. If your number is not published then they are unable to get the number but we do not have ours unpublished.

I was chuckling because one even said that so and so up the street said they should stop and talk to us. I asked "who" and they just pointed to a house and I said oh really wow I have no idea who they are. Kind of caught him because the people he was talking about referring them, already told me they were going to contract with my friends construction business for a roof replacement.

Just love how they try and pull the wool over ones eyes.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
tell them "sorry but I do not give out my phone number".
Good idea! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sighhh well this week the "door knockers" and "phone ringers" have been coming out of the wood work. I am even getting some on my cell phone!

Two weeks ago I double checked the "do not call list" to make sure we are on it and yep...all of our numbers are listed and I made sure my Mother's number was listed.

So now I had another phone call this week and I listen to their story, got his name and phone number, he was getting so excited by then. At which I burst his bubble and told him "on the list and next call is to the attorney general" to file a complaint. Dead silence...he hung up.

Then Sunday afternoon, of all days, a door knocker....tree service. He had a business card so I reached over and "snatched it from his hand" told him that door to door solicitation is not permitted in the township and if he wanted to go door to door then take my advice, drive into Centerville and knock on all the doors he would want to. Also told him that I am pretty sure I am not the only door he has knocked on and it would be wise to leave because I am pretty darn sure the Sheriff has already been called.

Talk about someone who could walk backwards at a fast clip and then speed walk to his truck and away he went.

The holiday season is approaching so more and more companies/people will be prowling around the neighborhoods. Are they actually trying to drum up business or are they shopping for Christmas presents for their friend/family, at your expense.

Take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:thumb: Love this for those "phone ringers". LOL a friend posted this on FB and I was LMAO!

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
That's great, Sailfish.....really funny! Got to love Kenny G music from the early 90's....I think I still have that CD or tape around here somewhere....that was actualy a decent song on that one. I think everyone went thru their Kenny G phase...nice music to relax to....but I haven't listened to any in a long time.

I hate both door knockers and telemarketers....especially the automated calls. If I answer and there's not someone on the line right away, I know it's automated and just hang up.
It's getting really bad with door to door salespeople lately...we really need to get a sign for our door, keep saying that then forget to do it. We had Dr. Energy come to the door, more than once, and we finally bit on their little pitch...about getting our house evaluated for heat loss, etc. Well....we ended up getting some stuff done (yeah right, to the tune of about $4,000!) to make our house more energy effecient. They put insulation around our rim joist in the basement, fixed some venting in the attic, added an HRV to our furnace (kind of like a heat exchanger....that brings in more fresh air in the house because we needed that after all the new insulation... :eek:...wait a minute, is this their scheme?...that alone was $2,500) Anyway, we are all good, our house is actually warmer....no drafts at all, especially in the kitchen where it was cold by the floor in one spot all the time. But the kicker, that expensive HRV isn't working right, and they need to install a new computer board in it that's bad...just more hassle for something I really don't think we needed. When I told them I'm concerned we have to wait for that part, and that we won't have enough fresh air coming in now, they said we'll be OK, because there's still air coming in areas like plug receptacles and other areas.....then WHY did we need that machine...? Oh well....hopefully when it's working correctly, our air "quality" will be better...whatever...I still think we kind of got took.

Anyway that's the LAST time I say yes to ANYTHING from someone at the door,unless it's a neighbor kid selling for the school or something like that.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Over the years I have heard so many stories about "door knockers" swindling people out of their hard earned money. I grew up in a household where my Father owned and operated his own construction business so I am not naive about building products.

When we needed a roof/windows/siding and such I did my research and checked with the BBB. Had to chuckle because I actually interviewed 3 companies to do the first project, the roof. One individual actually insisted after our discussion that he wanted to sit down with my husband to discuss what he and I had just talked about.

I thanked him and showed him the door. :nono:

The company we wound up using did a great job on the workmanship as well as answering any and all questions I had. When the final decision was made only then did my husband chime in. ;D

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am sitting here just laughing my butt off. Guess it is "known" do not knock on our door so now they have reverted to calling us instead. LOL that is what happens when you don't have your phone number unpublished. Guess I should get that changed.

So anyway I just received a call for a lawn service, feed/weed/seed. He asked for my husband by his "first name" only no last name. Anytime someone calls and does that I always ask these questions:

1. (husbands first name) who?
2. They give last name
3. I ask what the call is about "they do lawn service feed/weed/seed
4. He was told to call and ask for my husband
5. About what? Lawn service
6. You called because: he was told that my husband was interested in their service
7. By who? His "tech" was stopped on the street by my husband and told to call and set up appointment
8. Really when? Last Friday and he was to call this afternoon.

:hilarious2:

Now the little bugger is lying because my husband was out of town Friday and he DOES NOT deal with any of the companies we use I do.

I was polite and I informed him that well...I know they did not speak with my husband as he was gone last Friday and my suggestion is to remove this name and number from their contact list.

DOOR KNOCKERS!!!!!!!!!!! Getting to be a PITA! :banghead:

Yea they have to make money somehow but don't bother me if I need their service I will find them, after I have checked them out through the BBB.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts