EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh thanks, this is a very informative thread mr. Sailfish. Got a lot of people knocking on my door too but I didn't let them in but entertain them just outside. Good thing you had your Dogs there that time. Now I'm getting paranoid on who's knocking next on my door

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Oops, Chosen-... it is Ms. Sailfish, not Mr. Sailfish. As a new forum member, you are forgiven!! :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
;) :-* ;D

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I keep on getting the persistent phone calls telling me that I can get a great rate on my credit card. :eyebrow:

Had another one yesterday on Monday and last week and the week before and so on.

There is the option to press "3" to opt out and they won't call again. Yea right that never happens no matter how many times, and it has been several, I press that darn number 3.

SOOOOO yesterday I answered and pressed 1 and as the fella started on his long spiel I laid the phone down and kept on browsing the internet.

I then remembered that when I registered our phone numbers, cell phones included, there is a option to file a complaint.

So guess what I have been doing? Yep going back and finding all the phone numbers and formally filing a complaint.

If you want to do the same thing, or register for the "do not call list", if you haven't, here is the link.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

Now to keep the "door knockers" away as I had two this week...the weed/feed the yard companies. LOL I let them do their spiel and then tell them about the "township law" of no soliciting. The guy yesterday had the nerve, and they are bold little buggers, tell me that he had worked in the township 12 years and I am mistaken.

WHAT :eek: me mistaken? :happy: Okay I then said "well then guess you will find out when I call the sheriff and file a complaint so my suggestion would be to get in your truck and get the **** out of the neighborhood". Hummm...yep he got in his truck and last I saw of him...heading down the street. ;D

I keep forgetting to purchase one of those darn "no soliciting permitted" signs for my house. ;)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
WOW haven't posted in this for a long time.

Just now received a phone call on my cell. I didn't recognize the number but it was within my area code so I answered it.

The gentleman asked if this was "Michelle" and I in turn asked "who are you calling?". He gave a last name and I replied no you have the wrong number.

Then this guy went on to ask if I was a home owner and that he represented....some company....

I told him that we do NOT accept solicitation phone calls.

I do believe this is a new attempt to by-pass the "do not call list" as this isn't the first time this has happen, but the most recent.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OMG I just received a second call asking for someone else! I kind of lost it and told the woman to take this number off of your "F....n" list.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Sailfish said:
OMG I just received a second call asking for someone else! I kind of lost it and told the woman to take this number off of your "F....n" list.
Fun list?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
WOW it has been a long time since I have posted anything about the persistent "door knockers". Anyhoo...something happened today I thought I would share. Okay what happened is towards the end but...you know me....I tend to write a lot.

I have posted time and time again about "door knockers". People coming to the door soliciting to do work for you. Then ripping you off with shoddy work or even stealing form you.

I became tired and irritated and have ordered many of them off my property. To which they became insulted and told me they have a right to knock on my door. Last one who said that I told them "I have the right to call the Sheriff and have you arrested for refusing to get off my property".

I have finally placed a "no soliciting" sign on the front door. So far...it has worked, except for some fool walked up and stuck his "sales brochure" on our door. Okay at least he didn't knock or ring the door bell.

Now I just have to deal with those **** phone calls..."last and final call concerning your credit card account". I ask "which card are you referring to"? They respond, which one do you have? I respond none that I owe money on and "click"they hang up.

EXCEPT last week, I usually no longer answer calls if I do not recognize the phone number. This one had an area code from here in Ohio so I answered, as I know people within that area code. NOPE it was one of those "last and final call" so I thought WTH. I hung on and pressed #1 to speak with....it turns out with some **** ignorant fool. He started in on his speech and I listened and I said "I do not have any cards with a balance due". He said "why did you call me".....I laughed and said....I didn't your robo called me and I decided to respond in hopes that some how these calls would stop. He became very hostile and I told him to take my number off his **** list, and I hung up.

OMG 5 seconds later the phone rings and I answered and that stupid ass called me a bitch...I told him to "**** off" and I hung up.

OMG...AGAIN...5 seconds later he calls back and I answered and before he could say a word I said "my next call is to the Attorney General to file a formal complaint for harassment" and I hung up.

OMG...no return call...I wonder why?

Now besides the door knockers and the phone calls there are other types of people who iritate me. The ones who approach you before you even get out of your vehicle asking for "money to help as they are out of gas". Yea right....I am NOT opening up my purse in a parking lot for anyone, except perhaps a police office.

Today it happened, only it wasn't' for "gas money". This girl, she and her friend looked very questionable in how they dressed, low cut blouse, short skit and high heels. Similar to what you may see "hookers" wearing strolling on the sidewalks downtown Dayton or Cincinnati...seriously they did.

We had stopped for lunch on the way back home. This girl she walked up to the drivers side of the VUE and she was on my husband asking for money, for her "Lord Jesus", before he was even totally out of the VUE. She had a piece of paper in her hand asking for money so she could serve Jesus.

I was out of the VUE by then, so I walked around the back of the VUE and walked up right behind her. She was less than 2 feet from him and I know she had no idea I was there. She then reached out her hand and gabbed a hold of his arm all the while stating that "her savior Jesus has sent her to collect".

That is when I tapped her on her shoulder and said....hey....psssttt....."I am an Atheist" (not really people)....just to get her attention.

OMG she whirled around and you should have seen the look on her face....it was PRICELESS. She quickly removed her hand and slide past me and said "my savior is Jesus". I said you should step in church for a change and pray instead of "panhandling" for something which is pretty obvious by your appearance you do not truly believe in.

Last I noticed she and her "partner" were booking it out of the parking lot, heading who knows where, perhaps downtown Cincinnati to troll on Vine Street....she was already dressed for it.

I have had "7th Day Adventists" knock on our door and I have said "I am Catholic" or "I will let my Rabbi know you stopped by" or as I used today "I am an Atheist". I seems to finally have worked as they haven't knocked on my door in well over a year.

There have been time and time again warnings about people accosting the unsuspecting in parking lots and then robbing the innocent individual.

I know of NO religious denomination which would send girls out to collect money in parking lots, or if there are any, a least not dressed as these two were.

Alhough one particular group comes to mind...Gypsies. Could have been....yep...could have been as they have been reported to be back working SW Ohio again.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It is getting ridiculous with the calls we are receiving. All the phone numbers are registered with the Do Not Call registry, but that seems anymore to not matter. At least half the calls never have a person or recording on the other end when I answer. After saying "hello" twice, I hang up and try to search who owns the number. Many of these calls now have the same area code as our home phone so I never know if it is a legitimate call before answering or not.

I have continuing calls from a company trying to sell us an aftermarket warranty for the 2010 Traverse (which we sold over two years ago and which did have the GM extended warranty). Their number constantly changes so blocking it really does no good. I have told them numerous times to not call, that we don't own the car anymore.

Today while doing some running around I received a call on my cell phone. I usually forward the house phone so I am unsure which number they had originally called, the house which would have forwarded to my cell, or the cell. Regardless, both are registered for Do Not Call.

A recorded message said the call was from the Office Of Emergency Management and to press #1 to hear and acknowledge receipt of the message. Having no idea if this was actually a call from the Texas, the US Government, or my city offices, I hung up without pressing any numbers. No caller ID came up along with the number so I really kind of think it is a new scam of some sort. I have heard (actually read it on the internet so it must be true) that by pressing a number on some calls actually allow a payment or charge to be made against your phone bill or other accounts.

I looked up 972-932-9673 but there was no record of that number unless I wanted to pay 99 cents. I wish there was a good, free site to actually get results of a phone number search. Perhaps some of these numbers are owned by the companies that charge for the info? ;D

Thanks, Sailfish for posting that info about how to make a complaint with the Do Not Call registry. I filed one about this call, and will be doing that from now on whenever I get a telemarketing or unwanted call.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I will admit I had a TON of fun with a call today. It was a call concerning my "windows computer" and they needed to have online access to it in order to make the repair of a serious problem". (yea right)

I let the guy, heavy accent....from India....go ahead with his speech....YAWYYYNNN.

After he was finished I said "OOPS we have Apple" (laptop-Toshiba, Ipad-Apple). AND he said he would, of course, transfer me to their Apple department.

Again...I let he next guy, heavy accent....from India....go ahead with his speech....again...YAWYYYNNN...

Then I told him..."wait I have a Toshiba"....AND.... :happy:

He was flustered because he said...I was transferred to him because I had said I have an Apple.

I laughed and said..."OH RIGHT...HEY do you really think I am stupid enough to give you access to my computer? Take me off the list because next call I am filing a complaint with the attorney general of my state".

Click....call ended.

Hells bells....might as well have some fun with the fools. >:D :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sunday's seem to be when the telemarketers come out of the wood work.

Had not one, but TWO calls last evening wanting to
1. give me a great credit card discount
2. Microsoft needing access.

SO....this morning I filed complaints with the FCC on both numbers which showed up.

I encourage everyone who has their phones, home and cell, listed on the national "DO NOT CALL" list to please file complaints. I know they are only doing their job but I am not handing over any personal information to a stranger over the phone.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
We have had all the same calls and soliciters you are talking about. We put a "no soliciters" sign on our door and it had helped at first....but we still get the "door knockers" now. Most recent....which was pretty slick....still winter time, guy comes to door dressed like a utility line worker. He starts in with asking how we made out with the holiday ice storm, blah blah. Then he says he's from AT&T...I was all ready to say we don't have their service, when I realize...he's selling AT&T Uverse....and asking if we would consider switching from Comcast. Well..after standing at the door for several minutes letting our heat out....I invite him in, since it was really cold out. Well......we ended up switching to AT&T that day, but have his card, so when we have issues with customer service, we call him....he lives in our area. So far, we like the service, but have needed a new DVR box twice. First one didn't last a month....second one we just needed to replace....it erased over 90 recordings for no apparent reason....ticked me off. My wife demanded a brand new machine, not reconditioned this time....and we get it, plug it in and all good so far. But good news....way more recording space. Should I be upset that had we not had the other one go bad, we wouldn't have had as good a DVR? Hmm, guess I'll just be happy we now do. Nice thing with Uverse, all the scheduled recordings you set up are saved in a "cloud" with AT&T, so all you do is plug in new machine and it knows to record like before. Still weird the other one dumped all recordings....yet started up the next day recording again.

But back on topic: from now on, I'll just look dumb founded and point at our sign on the door. As for the phone calls....I'll never answer those numbers, some we can block...our cordless phones allow that...and others my wife insists on answering so she can ask them to remove us from the lists, but who knows if that really works. :shrug:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
FRAUD reported.

Yesterday morning there was a call which came through and the caller ID stated it was from
"Wright Pat Cr......."

By the time I answered the phone no one was on the line. I thought, okay perhaps the credit union had the wrong number and the individual hung up.

Wouldn't you know around 3pm received another call, same caller ID "Wright Pat Cr...."

This time I was able to answer it and well I'll be ****, it was one of those "robo calls" about lowering your interest rate on credit cards. I thought WTF?

I hung on to speak with an individual, while pulling up the information I could see detailed on the television screen, ATT-Uverse gives us the ability to review past calls for up to, I think 45 days.

There was a woman on the phone and she started talking about credit card percentage savings and I asked her "will you please hold on for a second"....CLICK...she hung up!

I immediately called the credit union to inform them what is happening.

ALSO what is interesting is the phone numbers showing up are my area code and the first three digits of my phone AND the last four digits, first one was 7 numbers higher than my home number and the second one was 4 numbers higher than my home number.

THAT is the information I gave to the credit union and this information is what they are giving to their fraud department to follow through.

I also filed a complaint with the FCC.

Sneaky little bastards.....

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Yep, we all have to be private eyes all the time. You can do two things....keep digging till you get results, or just find a way to block the calls....which is hard when they change the number all the time.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Re:

We are also on the do not call list but it doesn't do much good. I simply do not answer the phone if I do not recognize the number. I always look out the window before answering the door and do not answer it if it's a solicitor. I don't give a rat's a$$ if they see me looking at them!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
OMG I am stunned, stunned I tell ya.....I have a very very serious question.

If you are out trying to drum up business and you walk up to someones front door AND you see a sign on a door..."NO SOLICITORS", what does that mean?

Seriously I want someone, anyone to answer....what does it mean?

Because there was one poor soul who just rang my door bell. When I answered he held out his business card. He said he was "so and so" and with "such and such".

I looked at him and I asked "do you know what this sign on my door means".

He said "well yes". I asked "are you SURE". He said "well yes". I then asked "then why the **** are you standing on my porch "soliciting" for business?"

I looked him in the eye and said "that sign is there to keep companies, like yours, from coming onto my property SOLICITING BUSINESS so get the **** off my property. Oh and by the way, because I do have the sign posted I have every right to call the Sheriff and state that you are trespassing. Now MOVE IT!"

HIS ACTIONS in my book, does make me believe one thing, they are knocking on doors to see who is home during the day. If they receive no answer today, they can swing back by next Friday and do the same thing. If they again receive no answer, then they can be pretty sure no one is home during this particular time of day.

SO I just contacted the Sheriff department and have requested a deputy swing by to speak with me.

AND 10 minutes after my call the Sheriff Deputies (2) arrived. YES I could have filed criminal trespass charges against the stupid ass fool. Although it would have helped bunches if I had actually yanked that business card out of his hand. The two deputies were going to drive through the development to see if they could find the truck. Dark gray Dodge with a white "T" in the middle of the back window, similar to what the "T" for the Tennessee Volunteers have. If they find the truck they will speak to the individual and confirm that I would have every right to find criminal trespass charges against them BECAUSE I have the sign posted.

I also decided to put the sign I have had for a while, "property under video surveillance", taped securely to the back of the POD.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
It could simply be that the guy was separately attempting to make a living with door-to-door sales, our he could be scoping out the neighborhood for potential break-in targets. Who knows? Either way, it is disconcerting.

Worse yet are the seemingly increasing number of forced entry robberies while folks are home! That is really scary because the criminals are utterly brazen and fearless, and the chance to bodily harm, or worse, is significant.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Granted some are wanting to make a living and I am sorry but, I do not trust the majority of those knocking on the door.

At one time all those who wished to solicit for business from residents had to register with the township office. Except they were told nope not permitted.

THEN a business because really ticked off and threatened to take the township to court over this so the township decided they could no longer prohibit "door knockers".

IF one has a "no solicitors" sign on your front door they are to not bother you. As I said the sheriff department stated that I have every right to file criminal trespass charges.

I remember several years back, when we had 2 other dogs, Mikey an awesome Sheltie and Elkie, our sweet Norwegian Elkhound with the deep bark.

A couple guys came to the door and knocked. At that time we had a different front door and there was a screen door attached. I answered the door and one of the guys had his hand on the handle of the screen door. Just then Elkie came racing in barking her deep bark and I swear BOTH guys jumped back three feet at once. I shudder to think what may have happened if Elkie had not come racing into the entrance way. Oh and you bet as I replied to him I locked that screen door and I told them to get off my property.

The one who had his hand on the screen door handle asked me "is she friendly" and I said..NOPE isn't it obvious by how she is barking at you?"

My boys Jake and Elwood do bark every time the door bell rings or someone knocks on the door. Elwood, more so than Jake, barks at everyone he can spot over the small gate from his perch on the deck, he considers himself as overlord of our property.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts