EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Reuters, just before noon Friday EDT:

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp <GM.N> is recalling 857,735 vehicles equipped with a heated windshield wiper fluid system for a potential short-circuit problem, according to federal safety regulators.

A short-circuit in the system may cause other electrical features to malfunction, create an odor or cause smoke, increasing the risk of a fire, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its website.

The recall involves the 2007-2008 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Avalanche and Suburban, Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT, GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL and Saturn Outlook; 2006-2008 Hummer H2, Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne; and the 2008 Buick Enclave.

GM plans to install a wire harness with an in-line fuse free of charge to fix the problem, NHTSA said.

Separately, GM is also recalling 88,809 2008-model year Buick Enclave, and 2007-2008 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook SUVs in 28 states and Washington, D.C..

A build-up of snow or ice on the windshield or the wipers may restrict the movement of the wiper arm in the SUVs and could cause the wiper to detach from its motor, according to the NHTSA website.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/business/business-gm-recall.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow...thanks for the heads-up. I presume we'll be getting a letter in the mail?

Does anyone know if we could bring it in prior to receiving any letter?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Thanks for the info....I had the blade wipers on my G6 and tore it off last winter just as they are stating on here......

·
Registered
154 Posts
It says that the recall for the wiper are is schedule to begin in October. The wiring harness one says that Buick HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE....

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
just called the Buick phone number, and gave my vin for my 2009 Enclave, and they said NO open recalls. Wonder, if this recall didn't come till now, how they knew to fix the problem on the 09's?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kidsenclave said:
just called the Buick phone number, and gave my vin for my 2009 Enclave, and they said NO open recalls. Wonder, if this recall didn't come till now, how they knew to fix the problem on the 09's?
Perhaps you can check to see if there is a (presumably inline) fuse, like is supposed to be included on the new harness?

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
lingohocken said:
Perhaps you can check to see if there is a (presumably inline) fuse, like is supposed to be included on the new harness?
:eek: Yeah right, I wouldn't know what to look for, where to look for it, etc. I'm not going to worry about it. I just won't use the thing till I hear more details. They told me there is NO recall on my VIN number, but I still don't have much faith in that. The lady on the 800 number for Buick should have known right away, if mine was a 2009, then it was or wasn't included in the recall, regardless of VIN. IF it was a 2008, then I understand getting the VIN, but whatever. She also wanted my mileage, which I don't think has ANYTHING to do with if it was a recall or not, I don't get that one. As far as I know, mine is ok, but if I get a letter in the mail later, I'll be ticked that they told me false information. At this point, I'll assume 2009's are ok. ::)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
heck I just ran two bottles of washer fluid through it trying to get ti to burn tot he ground...no luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
kidsenclave said:
These things are a long time coming, and not just they found out about the issue 2 weeks ago, made a fix, and issued a recall. They very likely developed a fix months back and it already is now incorporated in production, especially on '09s. Never say never, but that's how it works. This recall in particular has likely been in process for release for a couple of months, as they got everything together.

I wouldn't be worried. If your vehicle is affected, it will be acknowledged. They keep records of these things and know what production had what, and probably started making the fix a while back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for posting the information re the recall and that they won't be doing this until October.

We leave mid October for the USA for the winter so I will book an appt. today for the first time they can do this because warranties are different in the USA and often will not cover a Canadian car and vice versa.

Although prices are much lower in the USA - and many people are crossing the border to purchase a new car - USA warranty is often not honoured at all in Canada on many cars so be ware.

·
Registered
68 Posts
caddycruiser said:
These things are a long time coming, and not just they found out about the issue 2 weeks ago, made a fix, and issued a recall. They very likely developed a fix months back and it already is now incorporated in production, especially on '09s. Never say never, but that's how it works. This recall in particular has likely been in process for release for a couple of months, as they got everything together.

I wouldn't be worried. If your vehicle is affected, it will be acknowledged. They keep records of these things and know what production had what, and probably started making the fix a while back.
Question - does anybody that has a 2008 that uses mygmlink.com show the listed recalls in the recall section of the site. I am curious if my 2008 build (07/08) is one of those cars that was in production when the fixes were already in place and as such I have 0 recalls listed on the site (wipers, sunroof, washer fluid)....or if the site only updates only monthly for example vs a daily or weekly download of relevant information. I likely will address any recall if needed in the next couple of months before winter and when I will get my first oil change, but figured I would poll if those that have earlier 08's are showing those recalls for their vehicle. - Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: Double Recall for Enclaves -

How interesting. I went to the site but it is only for US owners. mygmlink.com

To date my 2008 Enclave has had one recall only and it is now one year old.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think I have resolved why I might not have any recalls after a search of the Acadia site (2 pdf recall documents attached - guess they are too big - so will have a second post for the other) appear to exclude my Enclave based these letters....I am confident that if there was a recall GM would send proper notice via mail as they indicated in October when parts are available and if serious hopefully sooner than later. I will still inquire with dealer at my first service visit just in case on these or other possible problems.

Still curious if mygmlink.com sent out notices to those that are registered (I guess US only) and/or if your vehicle is within the parameters of the recall it is showing that you have an eligible recall? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
sharkcom said:
I think I have resolved why I might not have any recalls after a search of the Acadia site (2 pdf recall documents attached - guess they are too big - so will have a second post for the other) appear to exclude my Enclave based these letters....I am confident that if there was a recall GM would send proper notice via mail as they indicated in October when parts are available and if serious hopefully sooner than later. I will still inquire with dealer at my first service visit just in case on these or other possible problems.

Still curious if mygmlink.com sent out notices to those that are registered (I guess US only) and/or if your vehicle is within the parameters of the recall it is showing that you have an eligible recall? Thanks in advance
I just logged into mygmlink account and have zero recalls listed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My Enclave was built in October of 07 and the VIN number is in the recall. I stopped by the dealer today and they pulled up two recalls, wiper fluid heater and sun roof drain. The current "fix" for the wiper fluid heater is to remove the fuse because they won't have the parts for the repair until November.
I'm in Florida so the wiper blade recall doesn't apply which is kind of stupid. What if I decide to drive up to New England in January? (not going to happen but it's still stupid) I've never heard of a regional/specific state recall.

·
Registered
68 Posts
43sbest said:
I'm in Florida so the wiper blade recall doesn't apply which is kind of stupid. What if I decide to drive up to New England in January? (not going to happen but it's still stupid) I've never heard of a regional/specific state recall.
That is crazy!! your point is very good and one I would make to the dealer and have them put in writing that GM is not willing to approve the fix.....this recall is due to a visibility safety issue and even if it is remote because of your current location that you will even will see snow - it does not mean that you won't be in an area with your car and as such you might be in a position that not having the change jeopardizes your safety should your wipers break in a heavy snow fall!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree - I would fight that!

I am all over the place.. and could be in Arizona, California, or Canadian Rockies in my car! In order to drive from British Columbia to Arizona alone we go over three mountain passes and can encounter sun, rain or snow.

Go back to your dealer or call GM Customer Service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
Big Daddy
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing