EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08 CXL AWD and need tires. i've shopped around local and online and cannot find a reasonably priced all terrain tire that is 255/60R19. where i live chews up standard highway passenger tires and i would like something more rugged. the tires i finally found and like are 255/55R19. these are only about an inch shorter. would these be fine for my Enclave? thanks in advance

·
Registered
73 Posts
By dropping the ratio, you are putting on a smaller diameter tire, in this case 31" (OEM) vs 30" (replacements you list).... this will cause some issues. At minimum, your speedo will be out, showing faster than you are actually going (not overly bad), but also increasing your odometer faster than you are actually covering distance. ie you will be going 55 mph when you show 60, but you may show you've travelled 100 miles when you've actually only covered 90 (these numbers are an example, not actual!) Also, and more of a concern, may be with your ABS/traction control systems. With all tires the same, this likely won't occur.
255/55-19 - 30" OD - 692 revolutions per mile
255/60-19 - 31" OD - 669 revs per mile

Another thought to consider is sizing the wheels and tires down, you can go as low as 17". Its cheaper to buy 17" rims and tires in some cases than replacing the 19" tires alone.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Interesting......I wonder if 2 enclaves coming off the assembly line (one with 17” wheels and one with 20” wheels) have the same software programmed? Is the speedo that different?

·
Super Moderator
612 Posts
When models have different sized rim options the overall diameter is still the same meaning nothing programming wise needs to be different.

If your roads are that bad I'd highly recommend stepping down to a 18 or even 17" rim/tire combo. This is my favorite tire size calculator to use when looking to downsize or upsize rims:

In your case the closest match to your stock 255/60/19 is a 255/70/17. Same width and within 0.3% of the OE diameter. So at 60mph on the speedometer you'll actually be doing 60.2, which isn't even enough to notice. You'd also be gaining 16.7% in sidewall which would be a huge improvement in ride quality on bad roads and greatly help protect your rims.

255/70/17 seems to be a pretty popular size for A/T tires, with Tire Rack showing 12 options:

255/65/18 is also the same width and within +0.3% in diameter and would give you an extra 8.3% in sidewall.

Obviously a change to 17 or 18 would require new rims though. I've had a lot of luck in the past looking on Craigslist and FB classifieds for OE rims cheap from people that put on aftermarket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When models have different sized rim options the overall diameter is still the same meaning nothing programming wise needs to be different.

If your roads are that bad I'd highly recommend stepping down to a 18 or even 17" rim/tire combo. This is my favorite tire size calculator to use when looking to downsize or upsize rims:

In your case the closest match to your stock 255/60/19 is a 255/70/17. Same width and within 0.3% of the OE diameter. So at 60mph on the speedometer you'll actually be doing 60.2, which isn't even enough to notice. You'd also be gaining 16.7% in sidewall which would be a huge improvement in ride quality on bad roads and greatly help protect your rims.

255/70/17 seems to be a pretty popular size for A/T tires, with Tire Rack showing 12 options:

255/65/18 is also the same width and within +0.3% in diameter and would give you an extra 8.3% in sidewall.

Obviously a change to 17 or 18 would require new rims though. I've had a lot of luck in the past looking on Craigslist and FB classifieds for OE rims cheap from people that put on aftermarket.
17 inch rims will, honestly, look a bit dorky on the Enclave. But if that's a non-issue, JayS's suggestion is absolutely the correct way to do what you want.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree.....I had 19's on my 08 and 20's on my 13. Yes the cost is higher but they should last

1 - 6 of 6 Posts