EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I seem to have a serious problem with setting up my seat - no matter what I do I get a pretty strong lower back pain. I owned plenty of other cars and never had this problem. Never noticed the discomfort during th test drives. The passenger seat seems equally uncomfortable.

I think it's the lumbar support positioning - seems to low and it does not move much.

Any advice?? :help:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
chumster said:
Hi all,

I seem to have a serious problem with setting up my seat - no matter what I do I get a pretty strong lower back pain. I owned plenty of other cars and never had this problem. Never noticed the discomfort during th test drives. The passenger seat seems equally uncomfortable.

I think it's the lumbar support positioning - seems to low and it does not move much.

I have a back problem, chumster, and I find the seats quite comfortable. Lumbar support is good. I'd have them take a look at the seats for you. Maybe someone else here will post they are having trouble, too. Hope you get it fixed. What good is a "LUXURY" vehicle without the real luxury of comfort, right?![/color] :sunny:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Low back pain relates to a few things like posture, strength of your back muscles, and any joint involvement including the hip area. To tell you what to do about it would require information that might not be possible to communicate.

Some cars like old Audi's came with side bolsters that brought back muscles to bear on the spine "suspending" it properly and evenly in both the seat and back. It is found in "orthopedic" seating found usually only in German cars. Buicks don't have this. The Enclave is more of a bench that looks like a bucket, but most would find it pretty comfortable.

Find a good doctor and get seen by a good physical therapist for proper strengthening exercises. That is usually the best "advice" not knowing your specifics.

TM

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seats in my SAAB never gave any problems...

Is there a way to find out if lumbar support in my Enclave is not functioning properly (i. e. positioned too low)?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Tin Man said:
Low back pain relates to a few things like posture, strength of your back muscles, and any joint involvement including the hip area. To tell you what to do about it would require information that might not be possible to communicate.

Some cars like old Audi's came with side bolsters that brought back muscles to bear on the spine "suspending" it properly and evenly in both the seat and back. It is found in "orthopedic" seating found usually only in German cars. Buicks don't have this. The Enclave is more of a bench that looks like a bucket, but most would find it pretty comfortable.

Find a good doctor and get seen by a good physical therapist for proper strengthening exercises. That is usually the best "advice" not knowing your specifics.

TM
Yes ideally we could all treat and get rid of our back pain, but since he hasn't had this problem with other vehicles it wouldn't hurt to have them take a look-see to make sure the seat & lumbar support is working properly in his...I'm sure there is a way to check it out.[/color] :angel:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a screwed up back from a car accident 27 years ago and usually find myself squirming during any car trips. Just got back from a trip to San Diego this weekend ( 2 1/2 hr drive for us) and I felt just great. Could walk when I got out of the car, no squiriming, no pain, usually I take some kind of pain relieft but nothing this time. I sat in the second row on the way over while our son-in-law drove and rode shotgun when Hubby drove on the way back. Never any problem. So, so in love with this car and find a new thing to love each day.

Rosita, I will be taking more photos of my "boyz" to post.

Alicia

·
Registered
80 Posts
chumster said:
Hi all,

The lumbar support is supposed to move in and out and also up and down. If yours doesn't move up and down, something is probably wrong.

Also, try reclining the seat back a bit. If the seat back is too vertical, it will put stress on your lower back.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
It is supposed to move up and down also? How do you make it go up and down, I have not noticed that and want to try it!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Along with the other suggestions make sure you don't have your wallet in your back pocket while driving. The distortion is enough to cause low back pain after months/years of driving that way.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all suggestions. Haven't had my wallet in back pocket for many years now.

My lumbar support moves maybe 1-2 inches up. Is it enough?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
PAPoPo said:
It is supposed to move up and down also? How do you make it go up and down, I have not noticed that and want to try it!!
On the lumbar support button that moves it in and out, it has an up and down function also. Just push top or bottom of the button, at least in the CXL with luxury package. This may be an option, I don't recall if it is standard or not...sorry.

Chumster, my SO has a bad back and she gets sciatica on the Enclave on long trips, her seat won't tip back (which I think is one of the things I don't like about the Enclave, at this price level and option level I think the passenger seat should have the same functions as the driver) and this bothers her back. I have had two lower back surgerys and between the seat tipping and the lumbar support I have been able to be comfortable, but I feel for you as I know what it feels like. Not that you want to do this, but there are a bunch of aftermarket back supports made for use in the car, wedges and what not that may help.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
chumster said:
Thank you for all suggestions. Haven't had my wallet in back pocket for many years now.

My lumbar support moves maybe 1-2 inches up. Is it enough?
Yes, it doesn't have too much range, I would have said about 3-4 inches if asked.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Enclavious said:
Along with the other suggestions make sure you don't have your wallet in your back pocket while driving. The distortion is enough to cause low back pain after months/years of driving that way.
The Wallet is serious. I went out New Year's Eve and drove back home (about 45 min ) and as I exited the Car (Pontiac) I felt a slight Pain in my left Hip. Two days later I could barely stand on my left leg. I went to the Doctor, he examined me thoroughly and asked if I had my Wallet in my left pocket while driving. Yes !!!! After a few anti-inflammatory Tablets and placing my Wallet in another pocket while driving, it's like nothing ever happened. I've been driving a long time and that's the first time I've ever had a problem like that.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
bsox said:
Chumster, my SO has a bad back and she gets sciatica on the Enclave on long trips,
Bsox, that's cuz you're making her haul all your beer in the house for you. Bad Bsox, bad![/color] :whip:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
LOL, sorry. My wallet also got me when I turned 48! Had to give wife the money (her suggestion!)
Seriously, lumbar movement range is not sufficient in my view. Should go higher.

Try an orthopedic car cushion or those bead pads, if all else fails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts