EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I came out of the Mall the temperature was 35 degrees. The first thing that came up on the DIC was ROADS MAY BE ICY DRIVE CAREFULLY

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes, something similar has been common on GM vehicles for at least a few years :thumb:

Less techie, but I've become very familiar with the occasional "ICE" warning that will flash every so often below a certain temperature on the mirror temp readout, both on the '02 Avalanche we had and our current '04 Suburban--but nothing else on the DIC, that I remember.

Nice little touches, regardless.

G

·
even our 98 cadi did that, i dont know what it does. i wonder if there are tornado warnings, like careful atmospheric conditions suggest tornados may form or somthing like that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
even our 98 cadi did that, i dont know what it does. i wonder if there are tornado warnings, like careful atmospheric conditions suggest tornados may form or somthing like that.
Hah, yeah. Basically very simple. One engineer, or even the legal department, one day just thought "hey, maybe it'd be a good idea just to program it to say "Ice" under 35 or so. And, it went through.

Either way, it actually is a good reminder, truthfully. Even common sense coming into play, it can be a random "oh yeah" thing.

We shall be going back to freezing and always snowy western PA for the annual family visit Thanksgiving trek, and I have a feeling it will be the first time this year we will see either "Ice" again on the Suburban...or maybe even the "Roads May Be Icy. Drive Carefully." if the gods align and an Enclave purchase occurs sometime in the next week.

G

·
you mean the 04's dont say it on the dic, on my yukon when i go to WV to go skiing it said ice possable on the dic, but my 99 before i sold it said ICE where the temp was. i guess its just a reminder to drive safely. but regarding the tornado warning i remember a call from onstar in augest where they told me that a severe storm was about 2 miles from my exact location, so i think onstar takes care of that for us.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
in my truck(2002 Chevy s-10) the radio says tornado warning on the screen when we are in one! the first time i noticed it was this spring, a month or two after i got it, and i was getting my grama to take to my house cause there were bad storms around and the radio screen said TORNADO WARNING

G

·
wow i would love to go tornado chasing for a living, i took a trip last year to the texas pan handle and met up with a team, and we went tornado chasing to get a film for an imax movie. it was fun. i think its neat that the radio does that, i wonder who sends the signal.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
:ditto:

i love weather!! and especially bad weather like ice and snow storms and tornadoes, i have ridden around with my uncle a couple of times following bad weather, i have not seen a tornado yet but my whole moms side of the family has seen a couple...

G

·
when i lived in texas we never chased them but had a cement storm cellar on the farm, i remember when i was 7 an f4 hit, it didn't completely destroy the house but it damaged it. it was the neatest experience i had ever seen. there were the occasional f0-f2s but an f4 was the largest i have ever been in. we lived in illinois for like a year when i was 12 and the was the first time i was 18 inches of snow on the ground that acutely stayed there for more than a day. i dont know why but i always get excited when driving through a bad storm. its just adrenaline rushing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
you mean the 04's dont say it on the dic, on my yukon when i go to WV to go skiing it said ice possable on the dic, but my 99 before i sold it said ICE where the temp was. i guess its just a reminder to drive safely. but regarding the tornado warning i remember a call from onstar in augest where they told me that a severe storm was about 2 miles from my exact location, so i think onstar takes care of that for us.
No, I really don't think it does. We have an '04 with the full DIC and steering controls, but the only "Ice", etc. message I've ever seen was just that on the mirror temp readout. Unless, of course, I'm forgetting a DIC message...which is possible.

G

·
in 06 didnt they change every thing to the 07 stuff except for the looks. according to my dealer friend i have an 07 electrical system with 07 stuff. the only thing thats not there is the new exterior and interior looks. thats how there able to get the 2 way remote to work even though its an 06, but it was built in october of 06 and the 07s had been coming out since january of 06 so i dont know, i have personally never looked.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Funny thing, I was able to figure out for myself that when the temperature outside gets near 32F, any water on the road might be icy. Auto instrument panels used to have "idiot lights," now they have idiot messages.

Big Larry
[/color]

·
Registered
509 Posts
in 06 didnt they change every thing to the 07 stuff except for the looks. according to my dealer friend i have an 07 electrical system with 07 stuff. the only thing thats not there is the new exterior and interior looks. thats how there able to get the 2 way remote to work even though its an 06, but it was built in october of 06 and the 07s had been coming out since january of 06 so i dont know, i have personally never looked.
Uh, no, but that is funny anyone at a dealer could be so misinformed to say that. There's very little of anything shared between a last gen full-size GM truck/SUV and a current '07+ gen. Powertrains, yes, in most ways...but electrical systems and all else are very different.

What you were told in terms of the remote, etc. speaks very highly of people who don't have a clue, or are just saying things to say them. "an 07 electrical system with 07 stuff"...in your completely different gen '06. No, doesn't work that way...well, in an imaginary world it might, but that's it.

G

·
caddycruiser said:
Uh, no, but that is funny anyone at a dealer could be so misinformed to say that. There's very little of anything shared between a last gen full-size GM truck/SUV and a current '07+ gen. Powertrains, yes, in most ways...but electrical systems and all else are very different.

What you were told in terms of the remote, etc. speaks very highly of people who don't have a clue, or are just saying things to say them. "an 07 electrical system with 07 stuff"...in your completely different gen '06. No, doesn't work that way...well, in an imaginary world it might, but that's it.
lol, i dont trust some of the looney techs any way i thought they were wrong. but he did in fact get the two way to work on my 06, he programed it like an 07, sadly i cant take it off the lot until late december when gm authorizes him to sell them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts