EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a stoplight all alone, no other cars around me and my driver side rear glass literally shattered with an explosion like sound.

I’ve been in contact with Buick customer service for the last two days trying to get some assistance but their process is a bit exhausting and highly documented.

in the meantime I’m having to drive around and park on the street with a broken out window - clearly a safety and security risk - while I wait for Buick to make a decision on whether they are going to assist in this repair. It does not seem like it should take this long considering the security risk here.

Any others on this forum have an issue like this? My car is a 2017 Enclave AWD Leather.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was at a stoplight all alone, no other cars around me and my driver side rear glass literally shattered with an explosion like sound.

I’ve been in contact with Buick customer service for the last two days trying to get some assistance but their process is a bit exhausting and highly documented.

in the meantime I’m having to drive around and park on the street with a broken out window - clearly a safety and security risk - while I wait for Buick to make a decision on whether they are going to assist in this repair. It does not seem like it should take this long considering the security risk here.

Any others on this forum have an issue like this? My car is a 2017 Enclave AWD Leather.
Was it the Left rear door glass or the Left rear fixed glass panel? I would find it hard to believe the door glass would shatter on its own. The fixed panel possibly. Did you get out to check if something may have hit it? Please understand, I'm not implying it could not have happened, but on a stationary vehicle it would be quite rare. Please post your outcome.

·
Administrator
495 Posts
Did the whole window shatter or just a part of it. If there was an explosion, that may indicate that it was hit by something...a rock, BB, pellet or even a bullet. The glass is designed not to completely shatter from one impact although in a collision, all bets are off and that doesn't apply in your case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is your 2017 still under some kind of bumper to bumper warranty? Most people have $0 deductibles on glass. I’d have just called my insurance and Safelite would be in my driveway replacing it the next day.

Call your insurance, Buick has nothing to do with a window breaking. I recently hit a deer, $7k worth of damage. I didn’t call Buick I called my insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was it the Left rear door glass or the Left rear fixed glass panel? I would find it hard to believe the door glass would shatter on its own. The fixed panel possibly. Did you get out to check if something may have hit it? Please understand, I'm not implying it could not have happened, but on a stationary vehicle it would be quite rare. Please post your outcome.
Left rear fixed glass panel. There is no evidence that anything struck the glass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the whole window shatter or just a part of it. If there was an explosion, that may indicate that it was hit by something...a rock, BB, pellet or even a bullet. The glass is designed not to completely shatter from one impact although in a collision, all bets are off and that doesn't apply in your case.
The entire glass shattered but stayed in place until subsequent door closings caused bits of glass to begin falling out.
There is no evidence that any foreign object struck the glass.

·
Administrator
775 Posts
Still not seeing how Buick has anything to do with a 4 year old window shattering. MAYBE if it the car was new you could argue some kind of critical flaw in the glass caused it to shatter but the fact that it's been driving around for 4 years makes that highly unlikely. Seems like a simple case of using your glass coverage to get a new window.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The dark tinted glass is tempered and they do explode occasionally due to small imperfections in the glass, i has a shower door explode while i was on vacation a few years ago and no one was home. Stuff happens just call your insurance and if you have zero deductible glass breakage its covered. I had a drivers side laminated glass crack in a hail storm two years ago and insurance had it fixed in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello…I have. 2022 Buick Encore..my front passenger side glass shattered while parked in my driveway. I was told it could have been caused by cold temperatures or what they call “tempered” glass…no rocks and/pellets were found..the glass was just shattered but by me opening my driver side door the shattered glass came down..Thjs is crazy but it can happen..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts