EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased an '08 Enclave and have the Ent#1 package, with 6-CD changer (no nav) and had the dual headrest DVD system installed at the dealer. This is the GM DVD system and not a third-party aftermaket system. The headphones have an 'A' and 'B' selector on them and they sync to either the right or left DVD unit. However, we noticed the other day that the rear audio controls won't work with our wireless headphones since they must be different than the headphones that come with the regular rear entertainment system.

By reading the owner's manual, it appears that with just one overhead DVD player, the selector swith on the wireless headphones swithches between the DVD player and the audio system. So, in order for our child to listen to her music in back, while we listen to something else up front, we will have to purchase some wired headphones that connect to the rear audio port.

Anyone else observe this or am I missing something? It would seem with so many inputs on the DVD system that you could route the sound from the rear audio through the DVD player somehow.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The rear audio controls only work with WIRED headphones plugged into the phone jacks by the knobs; they aren't connected in any way to the headrest system. Sorry!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I thought they did work with the wireless headphones on the single-DVD systems when I was reading the owner's manual. Not a big deal but it would seem to be easy to make this work in the future (hint, hint to any Buick product planners lurking)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
This has been a real nuisance for us. We traded in an MDX for the Enclave, and were used to the simplicity of the Acura system. Just use the remote control to select any input source (DVD, CD, AM, FM, etc.) and tune the receiver or control the movie with the remote. Remote always worked. Wireless headphones always worked. Period.

The Enclave system is spotty at best. During a recent 12-day road trip, the remote control worked only twice and the wireless headphones worked only about half the time. The rest of the time, our grandson had to use wired headphones, tuning from the rear controls, and we had to control the DVD start/stop/pause from the nav screen. What a royal pain!

I pity you having to deal with the added complexity of dual DVD screens...

·
Registered
200 Posts
VQinside said:
Interesting, I thought they did work with the wireless headphones on the single-DVD systems when I was reading the owner's manual. Not a big deal but it would seem to be easy to make this work in the future (hint, hint to any Buick product planners lurking)
I think the wireless headphone "frequencies" come from the DVD system(s). In order for the headrest DVD systems to "hear" the NAV audio, the NAV audio has to be linked to the DVD system. The ceiling mounted system I believe is integrated with the NAV audio - not so with the headrests. If they were integrated, you would be able to load a DVD from the NAV (vs each unit separately).

Now, that's not to say it can't be done... Doesn't the headrest DVD systems come with component video inputs? Can't you connect them to the center console AUX inputs? This would allow you to use the wireless headsets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jake_99, I was thinking the same thing. The dual-headrest DVDs have video/audio inputs (for connecting game consoles or whatever), the rear audio controls have a headphone jack (output). I was thinking you could just connect a cable to that and run it 'in' to the DVD player input and then my daughter could use the wireless headphones to listen to her CDs. I will look into this and let y'all know if this works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, this is exactly what I had in mind. My BS in Electrical Engineering will finally be useful! Now I'll have to figure out how to discretely route the cable and provide some pics for everyone to reference. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
161 Posts
VQinside said:
Jake_99, I was thinking the same thing. The dual-headrest DVDs have video/audio inputs (for connecting game consoles or whatever), the rear audio controls have a headphone jack (output). I was thinking you could just connect a cable to that and run it 'in' to the DVD player input and then my daughter could use the wireless headphones to listen to her CDs. I will look into this and let y'all know if this works.
Doesn't the DVD player play CDs? And the DVD players use the Wireless Headphones?

m

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sometimes the obvious is too easy to see for us nerds who want to make it some kind of challenge. :banghead:.

Yes, you can just put a CD in the DVD player and this will probably work just fine for our purposes. BTW, if you insert a CD, the screen does show the track #/## on the 'GM Home Screen' that shows up like when you turn on the sytem if you don't have any DVDs in the system. Problem solved!

·
Registered
161 Posts
VQinside said:
Sometimes the obvious is too easy to see for us nerds who want to make it some kind of challenge. :banghead:.

Yes, you can just put a CD in the DVD player and this will probably work just fine for our purposes. BTW, if you insert a CD, the screen does show the track #/## on the 'GM Home Screen' that shows up like when you turn on the sytem if you don't have any DVDs in the system. Problem solved!
I'm a nerd too -- well technically a gEEk -- but I'm a lazy gEEk -- I'll work really hard to find a way to be lazy :)

Glad my ignorance was of help.

m

1 - 11 of 11 Posts