EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an issue with our DVD/CD Player, where about 3 out of 10 discs will work. 7 out of 10 we will get a "disc error" message and the DVD pops back out.

At first we thought that maybe the disc was scratched or something like that. That is not the case. We can purchase a brand new DVD from the store and put it in and we will get a "disc error". Again, about 70% of the discs (old, new, perfect or not so perfect) get the disc error.

So... I got together 10 DVD's, most of them brand new, and took the Enclave to the dealer. It was easy to show them the problem. 3 or 4 worked, the rest did not.

1st trip:
-----------
The first trip to the dealer, they decided to go ahead and "replace" the entire unit. After I picked up the vehicle and before leaving, I went ahead and tried to load up the 10 discs and the new unit was exactly the same. The were perplexed, and also had the same issues with other DVD's that they had at the dealer. So, they asked if I could bring it back after the weekend.

2nd trip
--------
They ordered another brand new unit from GM and "replaced" the entire unit again. This time they kept my 10 test DVD discs and made sure it worked. When I picked up the Enclave, I ran the test and they worked well. I was finally pleased. HOWEVER....... after leaving the dealer, I recieved a 'disc error" from the NAV disc (this is the other disc that runs the NAV system). I turned around and showed them the error, and they spent a little more time with the vehicle while I waited and said it seems to work fine now. It only took about a hour after and the NAV stopped working, and when this happened the whole system seemed to lock up. So.. the NAV dvd part of the system in this new unit was faulty.

3rd trip
----------
I took the car back to the dealer again. So far, this Enclave has been replaced twice. So there have been 3 new units in this with no luck. They said that since they do not repair these units all they can do is replace it again. They also said they spoke to GM and GM said they are having issues with the DVD players. So... for the 3rd time, they replaced the unit. I picked up the vehicle and the problem is THE SAME OR WORSE. Nothing changed.... The service rep looked very perplexed and told me he doesn't know what to do, and he wouldn't blame me if I called GM to figure out what to do. It have been about 3 weeks, hoping the DVD player would start working, but it does not. Some times if you get the disc error and you take it out and put it back in about 10 times it might start working. I am planning on calling GM to dive my some guidance on what to do.

I am suprised I have not seen this issue on this forum, especially since we have gone through 3 replacements and have the same problem.

If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This sounds like GM got a 'deal' on a batch of cheapo DVD units and decided these would do for the hardware in the Clave. Older DVD ROMs typically had these kinds of problems with the copy protection methods used in more modern DVDs. My guess is, until they supply you with a newer drive, no matter how many times they replace the DVD itself you will continue to experience problems.

In short, the problem sounds like the hardware itself. You should however contact GM about this. This isn't what you paid for and they need to make it right, no matter what they have to do - especially considering the rediculously overpriced nature of these RSE units. Sheesh, the drives themselves are no more than $30.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
TourGuide, GM doesn't get "deals" on DVD drives. The radios are manufactured by Delphi and not by GM. Maybe Delphi got a "deal" but you can't blame this one on GM.

If this nonesense continues whereby they continue to replace unit after unit, I'd go the "Lemon Law" route and get a new 09 Enclave :help:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. Delphi then is the culprit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FWIW, I've been having Disc Error problems with burned DVD's. (Yes, I'm using ultra-cheap-o blank media that reads fine in any other "modern" player, but the interesting thing is that the DVD-R discs are working better in the Enclave than the +R's, even though the manual says that +R's are the ones that are supported.) So far, I haven't had any real issues with store-bought, manufactured discs.

If my dealer hadn't gone out of business two months ago, I would have mentioned this to them already. (It's ironic that I got a robo-call from their service manager last week, and that the Buick magazine I just got in the mail still had their contact info on it as well.)

I guess I'll add it to a list for when I bring it to another dealer for the recall stuff. (Not that I've received any official word of the '08 recalls yet, even though I confirmed my VIN is among those affected.)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
wIsiwYg said:
FWIW, I've been having Disc Error problems with burned DVD's. (Yes, I'm using ultra-cheap-o blank media that reads fine in any other "modern" player, but the interesting thing is that the DVD-R discs are working better in the Enclave than the +R's, even though the manual says that +R's are the ones that are supported.) So far, I haven't had any real issues with store-bought, manufactured discs.

If my dealer hadn't gone out of business two months ago, I would have mentioned this to them already. (It's ironic that I got a robo-call from their service manager last week, and that the Buick magazine I just got in the mail still had their contact info on it as well.)

I guess I'll add it to a list for when I bring it to another dealer for the recall stuff. (Not that I've received any official word of the '08 recalls yet, even though I confirmed my VIN is among those affected.)
Buick Magazine??? We don't get it... Got the Enclave in August... registered it with Onstar, the Nav Disk center and the Buick "owner Center". It's as if they don't know we exist. (sorry to get so off-topic... Just didn't know about this 'til now).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah...I've been having the "Map Disc Read Error" problem for the past 3 or 4 weeks. Real frustrating, because it goes down 85% of the time you're driving, and makes it impossible to map your trips. I've had to lean on On Star Directions until I can get it fixed. Dealer told me they would have to replace entire radio. When I got there for the service call, they told me "GM won't allow us to install a new radio until we order a software disc and try to upload new software/bug fix that might fix your problem. We have to order the dic, so it'll be another week. You'll have to bring it back in." Yeah right! The problem started out as a glitch and got consistently worse until I can't even use the Nav anymore. I'll report back once they get the disc and do whatever it is they think they need to do. If that doesn't work...they better have a radio sitting there waiting, because I'm gonna be pissed and I am not going to go 3 service calls to get this fixed. On a related note....I also asked them to take care of the recalls in the 2008...ie" the sunroof leaking issue and the window washer fluid heater issue. They told me that neither item was coming up as a recall on my car. I kinda knew I fell outside the VIN #'s for the sunroof repair, but aren't ALL 2008's on the recall list for the washer fluid heater repair??? I told the guy I was nervouse about my car catching fire, and he told me "Why worry, you'll get a new car if it does!" Oh, okay...that makes me feel better! I'd rather just have the fuse patch put in and not worry about it. Am I being given the royal runaround, or is it only certain VIN #'s on BOTH recalls??

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
KMunch said:
aren't ALL 2008's on the recall list for the washer fluid heater repair???
We got the same "not on the list" story from both dealer and GM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up from my original problem.

The 4th unit (original unit plus the 3rd replacement) finally works well. I called GM and had them guide me as what to do to get this corrected. The dealer talked to GM before the replacement was sent out to them, and it works!!

Nice to take care of this little frustration.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Digital Rights Media (DRM) - in Vista SP1 and XP SP3 Microsoft was forced to include Windows Media Digital Rights Management. (WMDRM). They didn't want to be pushed around by the music and movie navi's so to protect their (the owner of the music or videos) intellectual property, including copyrights. This software (WMDRM) and third party software use WMDRM to play and copy WMDRM-protected content. If Microsoft failed to protect this media they were concerned they would be forced to remove the players from all windows OS, hence they pushed out these changes in the Service pack updates. So the contect protection probably guarded you from copying the movies. Sp2 didn't have this protection and the original vista I think was also ok, it's too bad you can't pick and choose what part of the patches you want. I suspect like others mentioned this could be the problem or it can also be a weak laser, if it reads the stamped factory movie dvd's but not the burned one's it could be hardware also. Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I have read thru this thread and am still feeling empty about my DVD player. Newer Disney discs come up with disc error repetitively. Any insights from anyone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started getting the same error the FIRST DAY we had our Enclave. It doesn't play any DVD of any sort at all anymore. It's an '08 with 70k, and we picked it up last Friday. I checked everything I could think of with the Nav unit before we purchased the vehicle, including playing multiple DVDs, only to have it die a few hours later when we went to take the kids on a cruise since it has the rear entertainment option.

From the research I have done since then, I think it simply needs to be replaced. I even ran a laser cleaning disc through it in the off chance it would solve the problem, which played just fine, but made no difference with the DISC ERROR message with DVDs. I see a couple of used factory units on ebay for $500-700, but with the OGM-1 being on sale at Best Buy for $700 right now, I think I'll go that route.

I'm not too happy to drop this much money so soon after purchasing the vehicle, but oh well...you win some and you lose some. As long as the tranny and timing chains wait a couple weeks before they go, I'll be happy. It's in awesome shape, and we only paid 17k, so I'm not too upset, since KBB says the private party is a couple thousand more than we payed.

Expect a detailed write-up of the OGM-1 install in the near future.

·
Registered
717 Posts
In my 6 years of ownership we went through 4 Nav systems - twice for DVD read errors and all under warranty thankfully. These units get hot and unfort it seems they dont get enough ventilation and can develop the read error.

Id look at an aftermarket until like the OGM-1 to replace if you are going to. Better unit, more features, plug and play, and cheaper.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If I do go the OGM1 route, I will definatly let you all know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thinking of replacing my radio as well. Is the OGM1 still the one to have? Looks a little outdated now.

Any other options that will retain all the factory settings?

There are places that repair OEM ones, like cd4car dot com, does anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
h2oskierc said:
Thinking of replacing my radio as well. Is the OGM1 still the one to have? Looks a little outdated now.

Any other options that will retain all the factory settings?

There are places that repair OEM ones, like cd4car dot com, does anyone have experience with them?
I saw a post earlier today from a guy who had his repaired, and he said it cost $500 to fix the Disc Error issue. Not worth it in my opinion, especially if the factory units are prone to failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
notstock4long said:
I saw a post earlier today from a guy who had his repaired, and he said it cost $500 to fix the Disc Error issue. Not worth it in my opinion, especially if the factory units are prone to failure.
I fixed my disc error issues in under 30 minutes for free. So far plays all my store brought and ripped DVDs. :blob:

I removed the face plate with a flat head screwdriver covered in duct tape. Since I had only i single layer of tape on it, I had to check to make sure it was still covered so I wouldn't scratch the dash. There are two clips on the upper sides and two on the bottom. Be careful with the top it is flimsy. The bottom has the HVAC etc controls attached to the plate when you take it off.

I just let that hang to the passenger side. Now remove the four "nut" 9/16th screws holding the unit in and gently pull out. I did not unplug anything. I removed the top cover. One 3/16 "nut" screw on each side and four on the back. I used a ratchet set. You can leave the big white cap on the back. That just holds the unit in the back to the car. You might have to pry the corners a bit to get the top off.

I inserted a DVD to make sure it was loading and spinning. I gently tapped the top wheel to make sure it was clamping down. That got the cds going but not dvds. This is at the 10 minute mark. I un screwed 4 "nut" screws holding the dvd player to the case. Looks like a rack in a desk top computer case.I had to do this the slightly lift the unit up to get to the cover over the spindle. Then took the spindle cover off that is held by one VERY small philips head silver screw one each side. The screw on the right side is near the front and left near the back. Now I could gently tip the second cover up enough to see the laser head on the right side. It is a very small bubble. I noticed it was not shiny. I took 91% alcohol which is what I used for other projects. I guess you could used 70%. Dipped a qtip in the alcohol and made sure it wasn't dripping. Next part be VERY GENTLE...The head is on a spring; wipe the head. I wiped a few times you will see the head shine and look alike the back of a cd. I let dry a minute or two between wipes. I also wiped down the spindlel where the rubber is to make sure it was clean. I then put the small cover back on. If you bent the cover back too much to get to the laser, when you screw this cover back on it will fix that problem. Now try a dvd... should work if the lens is the problem. NOTE: I remove the key from the car in between testing just to be safe. Now put everything back.

I tried the dvd lens cleaning disc before all of the several times and it made no difference at all. Now that I have "deep cleaned" the lens I may use one of the discs every few uses.

Hope this helps. :blob:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
That's great work, and hopefully very helpful for some others who may experience this type of problem. :thumb:

:welcome: to the forum, and thanks for such a great first post!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts