1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The point of the article was that with 1 vehicle to promote vs 3 now (and 4 soon) -- GM has diluted the marketing and possibly the appeal of some of the Lambda line. Clearly the Acadia has sold well; the Enclave was never intended to be a volume leader as is Traverse. But what happens now with the Traverse in the picture? Does Outlook go away? And speaking from a specifically financial view, does it really make sense to return to the old GM where every division has their own version of a vehicle? That's, I think, really the point of the article or at least what I read into it. Wouldn't it have been better to not even create an Outlook for Saturn? Although many parts are shared, they are certainly enough different to have a cost to them that wasn't necessary for GM to bear.

·
Registered
758 Posts
desgnconcpts said:
The point of the article was that with 1 vehicle to promote vs 3 now (and 4 soon) -- GM has diluted the marketing and possibly the appeal of some of the Lambda line. Clearly the Acadia has sold well; the Enclave was never intended to be a volume leader as is Traverse. But what happens now with the Traverse in the picture? Does Outlook go away? And speaking from a specifically financial view, does it really make sense to return to the old GM where every division has their own version of a vehicle? That's, I think, really the point of the article or at least what I read into it. Wouldn't it have been better to not even create an Outlook for Saturn? Although many parts are shared, they are certainly enough different to have a cost to them that wasn't necessary for GM to bear.
Is there a three month waiting list for the Edge? I didn't read the article.

TM

·
Registered
758 Posts
Oh, I see the point of the article. Its relevant only if you look at advertising dollars spent for Saturn vs. Ford. Different market (large vs. medium CUV), different audience (Saturn is for "European" buyers, Ford is vs. Chevy). Kind of depends on how important Saturn is to GM at this time. GM is well known for boneheaded neglect of their brands - a very expensive mistake, since a brand is a very valuable resource.

Yes, we'll see how badly the Traverse trumps the Edge. But it still will appeal to different buyers IMO.

The Lambda plant could build on all three shifts, so it can be argued that GM could build more Outlooks if there was a bigger market.

TM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts