EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
thats pretty cool!

G

·
they have had those in cars for along time, they tell you if you were wareing your seat belt, how fast you are going (if there looking at it for an accident) what the engine rpms are, how many miles on the OD, if the radio or a/c was on. and even if your using your cup holders ( ok not that really but it would be cool )

·
Registered
758 Posts
The article doesn't have the most important part of the video in the text:

At the end, the officer who was reluctant to answer a question about this being part of Big Brother said that "yes" it was but it also helps defend against some accusations. In other words, this IS an intrusion into our civil rights, but it has its advantages according to police.

Sounds like another boner by GM like the DRL's which we end up paying for and nobody wants. Leave it to the speed limit nazi's to take advantage of such a device and "prove" that speed is part of an accident and the fault of the driver.

Another reason I am not in the GM camp. The Enclave may be good for its styling, ride, relative fuel economy, and reliability, but my affection for GM ends there.

TM

·
Registered
325 Posts
Tin Man said:
The article doesn't have the most important part of the video in the text:

At the end, the officer who was reluctant to answer a question about this being part of Big Brother said that "yes" it was but it also helps defend against some accusations. In other words, this IS an intrusion into our civil rights, but it has its advantages according to police.

Sounds like another boner by GM like the DRL's which we end up paying for and nobody wants. Leave it to the speed limit nazi's to take advantage of such a device and "prove" that speed is part of an accident and the fault of the driver.

Another reason I am not in the GM camp. The Enclave may be good for its styling, ride, relative fuel economy, and reliability, but my affection for GM ends there.

TM
So, who doesn't want DRL's?? One of the greatest safety ideas ever developed to improve visibility of your vehicle to others, particularly on 2-lane highways. Does the same thing for motorcycles...improves your visibility to others. And how much can they cost? Two lights.... :confused:

·
Registered
758 Posts
firebird said:
So, who doesn't want DRL's?? One of the greatest safety ideas ever developed to improve visibility of your vehicle to others, particularly on 2-lane highways. Does the same thing for motorcycles...improves your visibility to others. And how much can they cost? Two lights.... :confused:
It was pushed by Volvo in Europe in the 1970's and shown not to help. Laughed at also.

Drivers should not have Big Brother tell them how to drive or when to use their lights.

One can argue that now we are used to having them, so we get lazy and no longer look for moving vehicles without them. Same thing happened to the center mounted third brake light. It became a wash once people got used to them.

TM

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i think the drl's are great, i get mad when and think its kinda a safety hazard when cars dont have any lights on even during the day, especially when your going down a narrow residential street and dont know what cars are parked or not, and some older cars that dont have any drls, can blend in somewhat with the road and surrounding on a two lane country road.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Gmoney_2010 said:
i think the drl's are great, i get mad when and think its kinda a safety hazard when cars dont have any lights on even during the day, especially when your going down a narrow residential street and dont know what cars are parked or not, and some older cars that dont have any drls, can blend in somewhat with the road and surrounding on a two lane country road.
I guess you'll stay mad for a long time. Ford, Porsche, Mercedes, Chrysler, Honda, and many others do no have them or don't force them on the consumer.

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tin Man said:
I guess you'll stay mad for a long time. Ford, Porsche, Mercedes, Chrysler, Honda, and many others do no have them or don't force them on the consumer.

TM
Tin Man, , not to "beat this horse to death", but..........respectfully, I love the DRL's as standard equipment. You never get "used" to better visibility, it's just always better! Yes you still have to look for kids on bikes, pedestrians and others, but why not get all the visible clues we can? Don't road repairmen wear orange vests, in the daytime?? We all know why. I don't care if the other brand cars never get DRL's. Many don't have seatbelt pre-
tensioners either. But we do! Someday they'll catch up ;) The DRL's and pretensioners were just 2 of the reasons I bought an Enclave. Safety is very important to me, as I'm sure it is you. And it keeps Ins. rates down for all!

As far as the 3rd brake light, I depend on it more than ever with the SUV's and tiny Yarus's running in front of them. And for the ocassional burnt brake bulb, at least 2 still work. You don't get used to more warning lights, you just "see" them more and use what you need and disregard the rest. IMHO ;D

I'm still on the fence with the Black box, but since I observe the law 90% of the time, ( hey I ain't perfect :eek:hno: ) I think it may help with the jerks who ignore it 90% of the time? 70/30 in favor right now.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Its not a matter of whether these things are good, they certainly can be. Its whether a manufacturer or government should make them mandatory, especially with no proof of effectiveness.

You can have your opinion, I don't care. Personally, its a waste of money. Safer things have been put on cars and will be.

What most people think may be a bit different, and other manufacturers are not buying into it.

TM

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: DRL's

Personally, I would put my lights on if I thought I needed to be seen, such as around dawn or dusk, which is exactly why DRL's are required in Canada for their unique climate/Northern latitude. But having these things forced on makes another "dumbing down" episode of the American driver happen. Pretty soon, you'll see, we will have lane change warning buzzers, radar up close to the next car warnings, GPS monitoring for speed and erratic driving, etc.

Many people believe driving a manual transmission is less safe than an automatic. I say, let the driver get involved in driving, and their attention will be kept where it should be, not on their DVD player or Bose 5.1 stereo.

Find out why Germany and France, two countries that are obsessed with and go overboard with safety measures and enforcement, don't require DRL's, and get their drift of American drivers too, to see where we stand as far as skills, ability, and resourcefulness. And then give your opinion the boost it needs.

TM

·
Registered
325 Posts
Don't care about Germany or France.. Once again......how much can 2 lights cost??

My last 2 cents on this "discussion'!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: DRL's and Big Brother

firebird said:
Don't care about Germany or France.. Once again......how much can 2 lights cost??

My last 2 cents on this "discussion'!
When GM first put them on their small cars, they used the high beams which were actually glaring to oncoming traffic. It was embarrasing on some cars that needed to have their headlights put up like the Corvette. Now some of the cars just look like they have their parking lights on.

The bulbs do burn out faster, the cost is there in electronic parts and the extra fuel to power the alternator when you go over many many vehicle miles.

Nothing wrong if you want to make it an option. Just window dressing for the safety establishment that underscores two things: corporate GM has a low opinion of the American driver and wants to boost its safety image with little effort.

Give me real safety items like better tires, yaw control, increased braking power, visibility, etc. The tires that came standard on my friend's 1991 Firebird were downright dangerous they were so slippery. Not so for European cars of any vintange.

They had DRL's on Volvo's in Europe and they never caught on. Why is that? My E-class has automatic sensor-on lights so when it gets a little dark, ALL my lights go on automatically. Now that is convenience and safety.

TM

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
GM has had auto on lights for quite a while!

G

·
HEY A FLAME WAR NOT STARTED BY ME. LOL

I WANT IN SO HERES MY SIDE, btw mercedes does have drls, there on our OLD 1984 450sl. ok so take mercedes out, and also the fords have them as 100 dollar options. i think drls help but i also think the government shouldnt force us to use them, like a seat belt, i do not endanger the guy next to me when i dont ware my seat belt, why should they care if i dont want to protect me, like a helmet when riding a motor cycle, im only endangering my self, but the government is going to govern what ever they can, just as long as they dont say i cant drive an suv thta gets 10 mpg then im fine. also the enclave lets you turn them off if you want, just turn the headlight nob counter clockwise and it will turn them off, but the extra power required by them is so small it does not make sense, and like the gmt 800-900 they have their own drl bulb, which is low voltage, so should parking lights be gone, should licence plates be gone there required by the government, should we just not drive at night and forget all lights. OR SHOULD WE JUST NOT DRIVE IF THE GOVERNMENT GOVERNING US IS A BAD THING. this may sound silly but so has your last post.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's not just because of our climate and geography that we Canadians require DRLs; it's because it makes cars more visible anytime of the day. Even in the middle of a summer day with no clouds, you can still see every single car on the opposing lane, which makes me feel safer. Plus, if somebody doesn't turn on their headlamps at night or in poor conditions for some reason, at least you can still see them.

Most manufacturers up here implement DRLs using full turn signals, reduced high beams/low beams (or fully illuminated HID low beam), fog lamps, or dedicated DRL lamps, so there isn't much glare, but still visible.

G

·
i think they sort of help, but most people have their lights on anyway. but i think your miss interpreting drls , some people turn on their highs in the day time, thinking there going to be seen better when their just annoying people like tim man who think that its gm's fault. go drink a beer and relax, you deserve it. :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
HEY A FLAME WAR NOT STARTED BY ME. LOL
1). Hey Thunder, I thought that WAS you...had to look at the sig several times before I realized it wasn't...lol![/color] :angel:

2). Tin Man, you have a pretty bad attitude, sir! Are you like that everywhere?[/color] :sosad:

3). Is that true that most car manufacturers do not include the DRL's? I love them! Both seeing them and using them. The government is always telling us to do something/not do something. Do we always listen? No. The DRL's make sense to me and I'll continue to like seeing/having them, regardless.[/color] ;D

And that's just MHO. ♥[/color]

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
Tin Man, you have a pretty bad attitude, sir! Are you like that everywhere?
Like I've said in another thread, I have an opinion. If you don't like it and you try to change the theme to blame me with a bad attitude, I question your maturity and judgment.

If you notice, my opinions are backed up reasonably, while others who apparently cannot take that say immature things. I respect differences of opinion unlike those of you that don't.

So please, if you wish to see who has the bad attitude, look at yourself first. I'm just stating my honest opinion.

There are plenty of people who would agree with what I say about DRL's and EDR's. Do you think they would consider my attitude bad?

So have a drink on me and relax. :cheers:

TM

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Tin Man said:
Like I've said in another thread, I have an opinion. If you don't like it and you try to change the theme to blame me with a bad attitude, I question your maturity and judgment.

If you notice, my opinions are backed up reasonably, while others who apparently cannot take that say immature things. I respect differences of opinion unlike those of you that don't.

So please, if you wish to see who has the bad attitude, look at yourself first. I'm just stating my honest opinion.

TM
"Ouch!" :wine: :poke: [/color]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts