EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have an emergency situation that I desperately need your help with.

Two weeks ago I ordered a Gold Mist Metallic Enclave AWD with Luxury, Drivers Confidence, Ent Package #4, Chrome Wheels, Cargo Net, Sunroof and Trailor Package. Just this evening I found the exact same car 30 miles away with everything I ordered except the Ent Package is #3 instead of #4. Now I need to figure out if I should go buy that vehicle or wait for my order with Ent Package #4. Please help me decide what to do. I’m so torn….

The question is do I want Ent Package #3 or #4??????????

Here are a list of pro's and con's for each package. Please let me know if I left out anything or have misinterpreted the features.

Ent Package #4:

You can watch video on the Nav screen up front (only in park mode, could be enabled with a GMX 320 lockpick for driving).
8" Screen
$1295 Premium over package #3.
DVD can be heard over radio or headset.
Can you be listening to XM upfront while the kids listen and watch a DVD over the head sets in the back????
Comes with head sets. Are the headsets comfortable or worth a dam? Sound quality?
DVD player is hard connected into the car stereo for superior sound when playing through car speakers. NO FM modulation. Correct?
Aux inputs are built into the front console. Easy to hook up Wii or game device that sits on the floor board for play on DVD screen.
5.1 Surround built into radio to take advantage of DVD 5.1 soundtrack when playing through DVD system. Don’t believe this is available in Ent #3.
Who manufactures the DVD screen and player for Buick? Is the quality any good? Better than aftermarket or worse?

Ent Package #3:

No built in DVD but I can purchase 3rd party system.
Could easily install 10.2" Alpine system into ceiling like Pack #4. I get an extra 2.2 inches of screen in replacement of the factory unit.
Ent Pack #3 with Alpine DVD would save ~$400 over GM DVD System.
Sound would have be FM modulated when playing through car stereo or can I direct connect the Alpine into the Buick's radio? Does the Buick have a direct connect AUX input inside the dash?
Can you plug a video connection into the AUX connection to see video on the NAV screen when the vehicle is parked like the DVD feature in Ent Package #4?
Is there an AUX in the dash as well as separate AUX behind front row console?
How would I connect my Wii to the Alpine without having to run wires to the overhead player? Can I use the front console AUX? Probably not….
I really don't like FM Modulation.
Advantage, this setup would allow me to listen to CD's and XM if the kids were listening to the Alpine DVD via headsets.
The Alpine headsets are great. I currently have three headsets and they're very nice.
If I can and do hardwire the Alpine into the factory radio do I loose the ability to add a future AUX device like an ipod? Not a huge deal today but could be in the future.
Other advantages?????? I’m trying…..

Entertainment Package Summary:

I save money with Ent Package #3 and get a larger screen. The screen could potentially be better. I probably get better headphones as well. I probably don’t get hardwired sound, no 5.1 and loose my only AUX connection.

With #4 I get full integration, 5.1 surround sound, no FM modulation like in #3 with Alpine scenario, and the passenger sometimes gets to watch the video. The passenger situation seems like a big deal. Is it really not? Will I ever really use the Nav screen for DVD?

Deal Summary: If I go with #3 I can get the car tomorrow versus waiting 8 weeks. I'm not desperate for the car but it would be nice to get it. The car currently has the $1000 chrome discount. I'm not sure if that's going to be available when I get my ordered car. Lastly if I can get the dealer to waive the advertising fees I might be able to save my self another ~$600.

What do I do? I can't make up my mind. I really like the integrated DVD but at the same time I like the idea of a bigger screen and better headphones. What would you people do? Did I forget anything? Please respond as soon as you can, I have to make a decision in the morning.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i dont believe the aftermarket dvd can be intergrated into the buick radio system you will have to use the fm modulator. the chrome package is available at anytime it is for california and florida residents. this is also my case scenario because i need the 2 dvd's but i also want the intergrated one for myself so i can watch video when in park or my front passenger can watch via gm lock pick. then i have also seen pics of cars that had both systems the overhead dvd and the headrest dvd which makes everybody happy... when car is full children can play games if they want via headrest dvd's and 3rd row and front can watch movies.

hope something i said helped.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Sounds to me like 6 in one hand - half a dozen in the other.

Will you lose a deposit with dealer #1?

You could be waiting a long time since you special ordered the luxury package.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We saw an Enclave in dealer showroom with the Alpine overhead DVD dealer installed. It is a nice quality unit, but didn't match the interior of the Cocoa/Cashmere interior as it is silver metallic and the headliner is cashmere/tan. The bright white LED lighting in it for the reading lights look very cool, but make the other lights in the vehicle look very yellow. I am assuming you can change out the other bulbs with bright white LED, but I haven't been able to confirm this. My wife wants this unit, but the biggest drawback to me is that with it folded down, you cannot see at all out the back window with your rear view mirror since it is a bigger screen than the factory one. When backing up, this wouldn't be a problem with the rearview camera. But I like to be able to see out the rear window when driving down the highway, and this would definitely be a problem with the Alpine screen. Anyway, good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the info. CC, great feedback. Why does your wife want that unit so bad if it blocks most of the visability and doesn't match the interior? Does she like the larger screen? Did the dealer happen to mention if you could watch the DVD material upfront on the NAV screen when the Enclave is parked? I wonder if the audio is modulated or hardwired? The color matching is something to really consider. Did you happen to see the quality of the Alpine versus the dealer unit?

Thanks for the help and good feedback!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Emergency - Need Help with Ent Packages - Have 12 Hours to make decision..Th

I purchased one that sounds just like the one you have on order. Fully equipped luxury package with #4 entertainment. All works just the way the engineers designed it. The interior is beautiful and everything matches.
I also had to make a decision between different Enclaves when I found my beauty. Some had Navigation without rear camera, some with no rear sensors,so on and so on..... There is no need for a larger DVD screen, this is a car not a theater and it folds up and becomes almost invisible. I purchased one of the very first batch that GM sent out to the dealers and would have lost it if I didn't state "I'LL TAKE IT" while 2 other couples were negotiating. One of their wives left in tears and the other one was cursing out her husband.
Not too many dealers ordered fully equipped Enclaves that were not brown, as a matter of fact not too many dealers ordered fully equipped of any color.
Factory install beats out aftermarket every time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My wife mainly liked the bigger screen (even though it blocked the rearview), plus the fact that kids could watch a DVD and we could still listen to cds. Dealer didn't mention whether aftermarket played on the NAV screen, so I don't know. He SAID it was hardwired and would still be 5.1, BUT he was an older gentlemen (Buick stereotype) and admittedly didn't know much about the "new fangled stuff" :confused: It looked to be slightly better quality than the Panasonic unit, but not enough to convince me it was the better deal. I just like the "factory integrated" look rather than something that looks obviously "added on". Good luck in your decision, but if it was me....I would stick with the factory DVD. Now, I've just gotta convince my wife before we order or buy. :help:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. After wasting an afternoon to visit the worst dealership in the US I decided to stay with my order. Thanks to everyone for their input. I honestly believe the Ent Package #4 is the way to go... The integration, warranty, colors, and overall feel made it the best overall choice. That and the fact the other vehicle wasn't even an option after all. I'd still stick with my order even it was available. The input on this forum is priceless...

If you have an opinion please keep posting. I'm sure others are equally as interested in this debate for future purchases...

Thx

·
Registered
313 Posts
The SuperLockpick enables you to easily add the video from an aftermarket DVD to the factory screen, though getting sound at the same time might be more tricky. The biggest difference between factory and aftermarket, after color/style considerations, is that the factory enables Dolby Digital and DTS surround decoding. Aftermarket units can also take advantage of wireless headphones.

If I were looking at aftermarket, I'd take a good look at the headrest mounted dual screens, which your dealer should be able to tell you about (and there is a thread here somewhere about them). Very nice, wireless headsets, and two people can watch different DVD's at the same time.

We opted for the factory though, and will likely add the headrest units later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Osli.... That's exactly what we decided to do last night. The factory is the safest/cleanest option for now and it comes with 5.1. If we desperately need access to the CD player or more TV space we settled on future head rest players. This (factory & head rest) option captures everything above. It's the most expensive but it has the best feature set and takes care of almost every issue.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts