EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Administrator
794 Posts
I suppose if my boat was 10k+ pounds brakes in reverse might be nice but with the 3k-6k boats I’ve towed stopping while backing down even steep launch ramps has never been an issue (6k boat was not towed with the Enclave). Even hauling some huge farm equipment loads backing up was done slow enough just to maneuver that the vehicle brakes were plenty. If you needed to back down a hill though with a heavy trailer I could see electric being a huge advantage.

Also one of my “tow vehicles” at one time. 400hp/400tq meant I could out accelerate pretty much everyone else heading out to the snowmobile hills…. When I could get the tires to hookup. 😂
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
486 Posts
My load is a bit too big for an enclave. Truck looks small but has plenty of power, LS 6.2L 400+HP and 400+TQ. When it only had brakes on the front axel if was not enough. I will never make the mistake of cheeping out on that again.

Attachments

· Registered
92 Posts
If a 2018 Buick Enclave is equipped with the Trailering Package option, it includes a heavy-duty cooling system, the trailer hitch and wiring harness (it has the provision for electric brakes in the wiring harness), and has a maximum capacity of 5000 lbs. The vehicle weight of passengers, cargo, etc., may reduce the maximum trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. Your owners manual covers this topic pretty well.

One negative thing about surge brakes is you have to remember to pin the mechanism when backing up. Otherwise, it get comical seeing someone trying to back up against a trailer that has its brakes locked.

· Administrator
794 Posts
One negative thing about surge brakes is you have to remember to pin the mechanism when backing up. Otherwise, it get comical seeing someone trying to back up against a trailer that has its brakes locked.
Nope, that’s what the 5th pin is for on the trailer connector. It locks out the brakes when you shift into reverse. I have seen some old ones where you had to do it manually though.

· Registered
486 Posts
How does a 5th pin on a wiring harness effect a purely mechanical surge brake setup on a trailer? A surge brake system (at least the one's I've used) don't have anything electrical on them regarding brakes.
It has a solenoid in the brake line after the master cylinder that locks the fluid from the brakes when put into reverse. It is possible to add this to one that does not have it too.

· Registered
92 Posts
I guess I've always been around older trailers that have surge brakes - no such electrical option such as described were on them. Perhaps new trailers being sold today with surge brakes all have them on, but I haven't been around such trailers - yet. Thanks for explaining though. I'm sure I'll see them in the future, now that I know more about some of the options/evolutions of these brake systems.

· Registered
486 Posts
Reactions: JayS

· Administrator
794 Posts
Yeah, it works really well, except the one time I just wanted to move the boat quick to wash it and didn't bother connecting the lights. Even the almost imperceptible incline in my driveway was too much to back up without the surge locking the brakes up.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts