EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the A/C crapped out on our 2008 Enclave (at 114,000km). We took it to the shop and under UV light they determined it was leaking through small pinholes at the compressor, evaporator and condenser. To fix the problem (to replace everything listed) was $2850.00. Considering what an 8 year old enclave is worth, this was more money than we were prepared to spend, but we weren't prepared to have Zero A/C for the rest of the summer. Unlike in the US where you can still buy 134a over the counter and fix it yourself with a product called ACPRO (google it), Canadians can't buy it here. What is available is a product called Red Tek. Your mechanic will not recommend it as it will contaminate their 134a collection system, and they won't be able to extract huge $$ from your wallet.
If you go to Partsource they will sell you a kit (#300) that contains two bottles of refrigerant, a connection hose and a pressure gauge. To seal the pinhole leaks, you will also need a bottle of Red Tek pro seal.
In an Enclave, if you have little or no refrigerant, your compressor will not engage, so to get everything working, you will need to connect the first bottle of Red Tek 12a to the low pressure port on your AC system (if you can inflate a bicycle tire, this is about as complicated). Just remove the black cap (located on the silver line down by the oil filter behind your radiator) and connect. Start your engine. Empty the first canister in, you should notice that your A/C light is no longer flashing, and you should hear your air compressor cycling normally. Now empty the can of pro seal into the system. This will seal the leaks (assuming they are very small and your lines are not completely rotted out). Once this is completed, empty the last can into the system. The three cans contain the exact amount of refrigerant needed to recharge a completely empty system. Each can is the equivalent of 1lb of refrigerant, so 2 cans is 2 lbs. The pro seal can contains 2oz of refrigerant also. My only glitch during the whole operation was that when I initially started to empty the first can of Red Tek, the system showed 112lbs of pressure...yikes! A quick call to a Red Tek rep.to explain the issue and he told me that the refrigerant was not getting into the system. Disconnect the quick connect coupler from the low side port, try it again (remember about filling a bike tire? If the internal needle is not depressed, nothing gets in!, this time I reconnected again and held the back side of the coupler in further. Finally got the schrader valve to open up and the pressure on the gauge immediately dropped. As the compressor kicks in, you will see the pressure rise and fall, and the can will empty. With all three cans successfully in, the pressure read about 40psi. We now have cold air in our Enclave again. Total cost $80.00, total time to do the job 15 minutes. Tools needed...none.
I couldn't believe it, it was colder than the air had ever been. I'm not a sales rep for Red Tek, just a satisfied user. I had looked high and low on the Internet for a fix and couldn't find anything, so thought I would share this with you who have the same issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a video of how to install the Red Tek refrigerant
On their website (sorry but this forum does not allow links)
If you are in the USA, you can use a product called AC Pro as demonstrated on
YouTube.
Keep in mind that your low pressure port on your Enclave is down behind the radiator down near the oil filter, on most cars it is at the back of the engine bay by the firewall.
I hope this helps all of you with issues with no AC in your enclave.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Came across this semi-old thread today as this is exactly where I am with my AC.

I just replaced my mode actuator which was stuck in defrost mode, so now thats working, however whenever turning on the AC all I get is a hissing and wooshing sound.

Went to Canadian Tire today to look for some refill tanks, and all I found was the Red Tek stuff, which I bought, and now reading more closely says R12, and not the 134A which is recommended in our Enclaves.

I also bought a tank of product called AC on the Go made by Ultra Cool as this kit came with a hose and guage, and at the time didn't notice, but it also says R12. Got it home, and tried to get the coupling valve onto the low pressure shrader valve, and it wouldn't attach. So I'm figuring this hose/kit is meant for the older R12 valve system. This will have to be returned.

I'm sourcing out just a hose kit right now to go along with my Red Tek cans I bought (I over bought because it was on sale, and figured I'd return what I didn't need/use). (just purchased via amazon, and will be delivered tomorrow!)

Doing quite a bit of reading on how to recharge this system, and getting VERY mixed reviews about mixing this R12 refrigerant in with the 134A refrigerant. Some like finderskeepers above seem to have used it with positive results. Other people say NOT to mix the 2 at all, others say you must evacuate the system first before re-filling with this (one post stated this to be impossible as your system NEEDS some refrigerant in the system to kick on the compressor?), other say that once you've mixed the 2 types of refrigerant, you've basically screwed the system up for life?!

I can't imagine that this product - which is SO WIDELY available at Canadian Tire here in Canada could do as much harm as being stated by others. This is truly my only concern at the moment with this. A quick search of Kijiji also has some people selling very similar cans but in the 134A variant (same small 4oz cans as the Red Tek). Wondering if I should just buy one of those? Any other Canadians refill their Enclaves with this stuff and can add some comments?

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I had just a pinhole leak in my AC system I used a can of Redtek Proseal to get the pressure up over 30psi so the compressor would kick in and then added the additional can of Redtek R12 and it actually blew significantly colder air than it ever did before. I was told that R12 top-up kits were not available for sale to the public in Canada as it is ozone depleting vs 134 which is 'gentler' on the environment. R12 is available to the public in the US. It worked fantastically for 6 months or so and then the pinhole leak progressed into an unfixable hole due to the well know problem of the AC line rubbing on the Power steering line's protective metal collar. If I hadn't been knocked out by the progression of the leak I am sure I'd still be happy with the Proseal system, and would have an extra $2400 in my pocket! Check your system for a leak at the AC/powersteering junction, it may not be too late for you to salvage it if this is the source of the leak. I posted pictures of where lines cross in another AC thread, I can't seem to load a pic on this computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts