EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a 2008 Enclave and live in a Northern, cool climate. During three recent trips south, we noticed that the Cabin was getting hot and that very little air was coming from the vents. We tried lowering the temperature and trying to manually adjust the fan speed. Nothing worked! The fan speed stayed the same and the interior just got hotter. This has happened several times now, with the latest incident on I-75 close to Detroit. Outside temps have always been above 80 and high humidity. Dealer says they cannot duplicate the problem. We have found that, if we turn olff the AC for 15 - 25 minutes and then turn it back on, the AC will work for at leaqst a while. I have seen the same issue reported Edmonds' blogs. Has anyone seen this, or more importantly, has anyone been able to get it fixed? This turns a good car into a very poor one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I don't have this problem but since you can turn the A/C off and it will work for a little while when you turn it back on after it "rests" a while, it sounds like it could be low on Refrigerant. Low refrigerant causes an A/C system to freeze up and then the air is blocked and can't flow through the condenser. This can be checked with a set of gauges hooked up to the system - maybe someone you know has this?? It would have been easy for the dealer to check but I guess they did not think of this or care to bother. I would have the dealer check if still under warranty, otherwise find some knowledgeable person / place to check out the A/C system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
sclay said:
We own a 2008 Enclave and live in a Northern, cool climate. During three recent trips south, we noticed that the Cabin was getting hot and that very little air was coming from the vents. We tried lowering the temperature and trying to manually adjust the fan speed. Nothing worked! The fan speed stayed the same and the interior just got hotter. This has happened several times now, with the latest incident on I-75 close to Detroit. Outside temps have always been above 80 and high humidity. Dealer says they cannot duplicate the problem. We have found that, if we turn olff the AC for 15 - 25 minutes and then turn it back on, the AC will work for at leaqst a while. I have seen the same issue reported Edmonds' blogs. Has anyone seen this, or more importantly, has anyone been able to get it fixed? This turns a good car into a very poor one!
So does a flat tire, but it can be fixed, as can your A/C. I think "smankins" is on to something, that makes sense, must just be low on refrigerant, have that checked.

Anyway..... :welcome: nice to have a new forum member, keep us posted with what you find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Seems like I remember a few comments about the A/C freezing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Low refrigerant on an 08?; probably making the system freeze, but the other question is why is it low? It sounds as though the OP doesn't use it too often.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,855 Posts
AA/78U said:
Low refrigerant on an 08?; probably making the system freeze, but the other question is why is it low? It sounds as though the OP doesn't use it too often.......
Possible leak in a refrigerant line (most likely in a fitting) or the evaporator core.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
My A/C has been great...sorry yours is not. Another possibility (this used to happen on my '70 Chrysler T&C), in very humid weather it would freeze up, that is, the coil in the car would ice over and air could not get through the coil to cool the car. After it was off about 15 minutes it would be fine again. Try setting the inside temperature at about 72. But absolutely go back to the dealer...or find another GM service dealer. Good luck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,166 Posts
sclay said:
We own a 2008 Enclave and live in a Northern, cool climate. During three recent trips south, we noticed that the Cabin was getting hot and that very little air was coming from the vents. We tried lowering the temperature and trying to manually adjust the fan speed. Nothing worked! The fan speed stayed the same and the interior just got hotter. This has happened several times now, with the latest incident on I-75 close to Detroit. Outside temps have always been above 80 and high humidity. Dealer says they cannot duplicate the problem. We have found that, if we turn olff the AC for 15 - 25 minutes and then turn it back on, the AC will work for at leaqst a while. I have seen the same issue reported Edmonds' blogs. Has anyone seen this, or more importantly, has anyone been able to get it fixed? This turns a good car into a very poor one!
Welcome to the forum. :welcome: Sorry that your first post is to report a poor experience. If it is any consolation, I had the problem occur once about 5 or 6 hours into a 17 hour trip from NJ to FL a year ago. The rear A/C still worked, so we were about to keep the car relatively cool. After stopping for dinner, the A/C was functioning normally again, never to repeat the problem on that trip or any other.

I recall a prior thread that discussed the possibility of faulty air cores that have a tendency to freeze up if run long enough on very humid days. Maybe you should address the issue from that perspective the next time to get to the dealer, perhaps at your next oil change or routine maintenance visit. Good luck. :comfort:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
I had 2 different problems with my 09 Enclave (9800 miles) AC. First, have your dealer check the thermo expansion valve. Mine was leaking refrigerant to the point where it only had .5 lbs (it should have 2 lbs). From what I read, it could be the seal that's on there (my whole valve was changed). After that repair was done, about 2 weeks later one of the aluminum lines was leaking refrigerant; turns out the whole line plus the seals had to be replaced. Your dealer needs to put AC dye in there and should be able to find the leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Your '08 is in warranty. Have the dealer check and fill, if necessary, the A/C refrigerant. If it's low and he fills it, watch for the problem to recur. If it does, you will have a record that there was a problem in August of 2010 and you're in a better position to request warranty coverage. What you're experiencing should never happen on a car today.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,166 Posts
sclay, I found an informative website about automotive A/C troubleshooting. I hope that this helps to arm you with information to approach the dealer more authoritatively. In fact, although my problem occurred only once after a several hours of non-stop use, I may approach my dealer, too.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
nice link :thumb:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,166 Posts
What would cause mine to freeze up only once about a year ago?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
oK... HERE IT IS... AN 2008 ENCLAVE 105K MILES... the A/C line had a hole in it... 1500 to replace... how did it happen... welll. design flaw...no less... The power steering line has been rubbing its metal coupling on the metal ac line for all this time... bam... a hole.. leak etc...
warranty not covered... " GM design flaw.." BS. So, GM listen up. Learn how to make a freaking good car... we Americans are fed up with shotty engineering...
Also, the steering gears had to be replaced.... warranty thx god... 1500.
Now the sun roof leaks like the titanic... going to f something up for sure...
what next... for pete sack
stand behind your car GM.... service bulletin might help...
so find this hose and get a wedge to prevent the rubbing...or else $$$$$ thx
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,166 Posts
I understand your frustration. We all want these Buicks to be as good as anything else on the road, but the simple truth is that their engineering and supplier quality just doesn't "cut the mustard". :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I understand your frustration. We all want these Buicks to be as good as anything else on the road, but the simple truth is that their engineering and supplier quality just doesn't "cut the mustard". :(
We probably all should have stocked up on cars built in the mid to late 90's. Seems like they were building them pretty well as they're all still on the road today (my 1998 is still a daily driver and never broke down except the starter motor failed). Today, it seems acceptable to have a car with 20k break. And yes it's not just GM. I have to laugh when Buick says they were awarded by JD Power. Kind of says something about JD Power.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,166 Posts
john 070 said:
We probably all should have stocked up on cars built in the mid to late 90's. Seems like they were building them pretty well as they're all still on the road today (my 1998 is still a daily driver and never broke down except the starter motor failed). Today, it seems acceptable to have a car with 20k break. And yes it's not just GM. I have to laugh when Buick says they were awarded by JD Power. Kind of says something about JD Power.
I agree. It seems like the mid to late 1990s was the best era in automobile quality industry-wide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
john 070 said:
We probably all should have stocked up on cars built in the mid to late 90's. Seems like they were building them pretty well as they're all still on the road today (my 1998 is still a daily driver and never broke down except the starter motor failed). Today, it seems acceptable to have a car with 20k break. And yes it's not just GM. I have to laugh when Buick says they were awarded by JD Power. Kind of says something about JD Power.
:thumb: I remember years ago when the JD Power ratings actually meant something, and they were not given out in a helter skelter manner. Then all of a sudden it seemed like everyone was on the JD Power list including soap, hotels, shampoo, toilet paper, etc! They were listed on so many products that I really don't even consider them as a meaningful rating anymore.

I heard (and not on the internet) that you could pay JD Power to rate your pink polka dotted 7 cylinder 5 wheel car as long as you paid them their fee. You would then have the top ranked (per JD Power) pink polka dotted 7 cylinder 5 wheel car being built today!

JMHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
We have 2012 black enclave
yesterday we were on a 400 mile cross country in 90+ degree conditions
after 200 miles experienced the exact same symptoms.
when we exited the interstate near home and stopped at top of off ramp I turned off system and turned it back on. Perfect performance for 20 miles to our home. Still blasting cold air on round town driving.
almost like it has to do with 70+ mph.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top